Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: Horsewoman stays the distance with primal! page 47

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member

Horsewoman is definately done with primal LOL

Primal Fuel
    One last update from me...

I've continued eating as I was when I stopped considering myself to be paleo. My body just loves wholegrains LOL. I decided to make a few more tweaks, have been looking into IBS triggers (IBS is part of my condition as weak collagen also affects gut functioning). The main changes I made were cutting my fat intake and increasing soluble fibre by upping root veg mainly (increases soluble fibre without increasing insoluble fibre). I try to have some root veg every day, and decided to experiment with regulating my fat intake via the system used by a UK dioet club, LOL yes really!

The reason I chose this is because their plan consists of all lean meats, whole crabs and fruit and veg can be eaten freely as long as you eat 1/3 fruit and veg. Because I know I need good solid protein, I do 1/3 protein, 1/3 carb, 1/3 veg at meals. There is an allowance for milk (I use full fat, and use part of it for kefir) and cheese. And then some points for small amounts of other stuff (mainly high quality milk chocolate and low fat ice cream in my case).

I have also been working on the emotional side of overeating. Many times I have come across the idea of when cravings come, stopping and feeling the feelings etc, but was not able to do that. Well by coincidence I picked up a book on depression in the library, as I was feeling very down about my diagnosis (and the uselessness of my physio), and struggling to cope with the stress of my sister becoming more seriously ill with her NF2, and it had a section on grief and dealing with those kinds of things. Inspired by the book *"Heal depression and reclaim your life") I started spending some time every day just asking myself how I feel and focussing on the sensations rather than thoughts about them. Also when I start to feel uncomfortable feelings, instead of pushing them down and battling to keep going, I pause and feel them. Cravings almost completely gone! I don't think this is because I was just "emotionally eating", I think it is the combination of the right diet and this technique. A couple of times I have had a big blow up with my husband and felt strong cravings but been able to head them off. I have found that instead of all the positive thinking, cheer yourself up stuff I have been trying to do, if I am feeling down, some sad music and a wallow does wonders, after a while the feelings, having been heard and processed, lift, and life goes on.

Well I can say I am feeling the best I have in several years. I am embarrassed to say that, especially amongst family and friends who I have talked about Radiant Recovery, paleo etc with for years. Now here I am eating what is actually a fairly conventional healthy diet. The only difference is I probably eat a bit more protein than standard and also always use some of the diet allowance for healthy fats- 1tsp per meal if the meal is low fat. I still eat ferments, kefir etc and take vit D, Mg (brill for nighttime HMS muscle aches and cramps) etc.

I have had times before where I have said I have found the answer, but this time I really believe it. And it's embarrassingly simple! My digestion is a lot better too, and I can clearly see when I have eaten something that doesn't agree- like just too much at a meal, a bit fattier meal, or canned bean chilli twice in one day (lol). Higher fat didn't increase satiety for me anyway, I have been surprised to find that the same meal but with less fat fills me up and last me just the same. I think if I am running on carbs and having hunger due to blood sugar issues, fat is not helpful with that. Low carb fixes the blood sugar but the low energy and low mood was intolerable- ending with depression, days in bed, bingeing etc. Last year, my seocnd winter on paleo, I had my ligthbox out in early Sept and still felt horrible. This year- I have not even felt any need to get it out yet and it is almost Oct! Did I mention that I love wholegrains?!

As mentioned, my physio is useless, but thanks to google and various resources, I have worked out my own exercise program which is working well. I swim once a week, do one DDPYoga workout and one of weight training (better for me than bodyweight, being heavy and needing to take things gently). Not as good as a knowledgeable physio, but can't pay to go private so will just have to make the best of it.

I am reticent to say it after all these years, but I think I may have cracked it. I will always have HMS and be manageing the condition and symptoms, but now I feel I am on top of things and able to work towards having the best life I can. I've even started to dream about being able to work part time in a year or two. Who knows!

Closing thoughts-
    Low carb is not for everyone
    High or even moderate fat is not for everyone
    Following dogma even when you know really that it is not right for you... not a good idea
    Feelings can't be good or bad, they are messengers, feel them, hear them, and they will pass. If you need a cry, have one!

So on that note, I'll sign off with best wishes and good luck to all. (And if anyone in the UK wants some paleo books I have a lot to sell!) LOL

My new blog on living with HMS:My Wibbly Wobbly Life

Useful site about IBS: http://www.helpforibs.com/

ETA: Totally forgot to mention that I have lost 12lbs since starting my current diet plan a few weeks ago! I see my weight as a symptom, and if I am losing weight without struggle, without hunger, energy loss or a drop in mood, then I think I am onto something. Did not happen on primal.

In my siggy it says "Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.". Yes please!
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 09-29-2012 at 12:49 AM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    YAY Horsewoman!!! SO GLAD to hear you have found something that is working for you!!!!!!! Love and joy to you!!! Come back with updates if you want in the future--I'm still so interested in what you have to share! I will check your blog as well!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    YAY Horsewoman!!! SO GLAD to hear you have found something that is working for you!!!!!!! Love and joy to you!!! Come back with updates if you want in the future--I'm still so interested in what you have to share! I will check your blog as well!

Thankyou . How's it going for you? I am still amazed. I feel so much happier and more energetic, and weighed again yesterday, have lost a total of 15lbs, 13lbs in the last 26 days! It is just falling off me, without hunger. I'm not bloated, my digestion is better, I'm sleeping well and I look glowing with health. Yesterday someone told me she couldn't believe I have 4 children and am 38 . Have eevn started thinking about future career plans! I guess I don't have a totally messed up metabolism after all LOL, all I needed was the right diet for me. Just never occurred to me that low fat would be a good idea! Leptin resistance? LOL

After 12 years of intensively working on my diet and health, it feels like so much freedom to know I pretty much have it cracked. I am sure I will make tweaks in the future as I go along, but now I have this, and my diagnosis, I basically know what I am working with and canjust get on with it. Some brain space for getting on with life, no more hours and hours of research into food intolerances, metabolic problems, inflammatory issues etc etc etc!
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 10-03-2012 at 02:17 AM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Just popped back to check up on some old friends .

Things continue to go well. I've been doing a bit of RRARFing (as in 180degreehealth) since New Year in hope of increasing metabolism and energy levels, so far so good. Continuing to work on meditation and acceptance, feeling my feelings and not pushing them away and so on- have been reading lots of Buddhist books and Charles Eisenstein's "Transformational Weightloss". I think I needed other factors in place before working on the emotional stuff could really work for me in terms of my eating. In this order: 1. Food intolerances esp gluten, 2. Physical food issues eg blood sugar, right proportions of macros etc, 3. Emotional work.

HMS continues to be a battle, no useful help from medics at all so am still on my own.

I have to admit, I very much regret that I ever did low carb. I have still not been able to get my energy level back to what it was before I started paleo. I look around and see so many people doing low carb paleo and struggling with the same issues, getting more and more obsessed and restrictive about food, getting endocrine workups, going on thyroid meds and so on. Sure, some do okay on it, but for the majority of ordinary people, I really think not.
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 04-15-2013 at 06:24 AM.

Harold Whitman

rearlwriter is offline Junior Member

Question for horsewoman

Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    Glutamine and MSM is here, and colostrum, managed to take some in water kefir, without throwing up lol. Got some food grade cocoa butter and red palm oil and ordered some ghee (want it really pure at least to begin with). Also put in an order to Devon Rose- a whole load of sausages and venison burgers, game mix, various offal we can't get in the shops (calves liver, pig kidney and lamb sweetbreads) and 600g each of pastured, organic lard and beef dripping, yay!

Waiting for L-carnitine and CoQ10, still looking for a supplier of gelatine in more than 70g packets.
    Why do you have an article on hypermobility as your tag? My daughter has just been diagnosed. When I clicked on it, I see the article was written by her doctor. Looking for good information on it. She has pain in her joints.
    Thanks.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I'm looking into dissociation as an issue for me. I don't tend to care about feeling negative feelings; I shove them away and am perfectly happy doing that, but I don't think it's serving me well. Part of the whole endorphin picture for me, I think.

I still go back and forth whether I do better with low, no, moderate, or high carbs. When I eat a lot of carbs, I crave like crazy. No doubt they set me off, doesn't matter if they're all "real food" or not, whether I think it's good for me to eat them or not. When I eat a lot of them, I feel no better in any way, and my energy crash happened before I ever gave any thought at all to reducing them for the first time. But I still don't feel intuitively that it's the right thing for me to be low carb forever. I'm just at a loss.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

sarahmartine is offline Junior Member
    I've just done a very quick catch-up on this thread as a newbie and it's very interesting.

I was diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome a few years ago and it's been a long journey into successful management. At my worst, following a viral infection that triggered many dormant symptoms, I used a wheelchair due to joint and muscle pain. I now exercise 5 times per week and am raising a 7 month old.

Following the birth of my son I had a worsening of some symptoms in addition to increased blood sugar/POTS issues, fibro issues/ painful thickened fascia, and general exhaustion beyond what a new parent should feel. I got severe TMJ for the first time. I've also had pre-autoimmune symptoms for a few years. Pain has been poorly managed with opioids for various reasons and EDS pain is difficult to treat as it is.

I started transitioning to Paleo a month ago. I've discovered that eating lots more fat and fewer starches really controls my blood sugar, my pain is much less (now painkiller free!), my digestive issues have gone, my oral inflammation is much better, my knees hurt less and I don't feel peckish and shaky all the time. I'd started getting an acute fight-or-flight response for no real reason, ectopic heartbeats and palpitations at night- this has now gone PROVIDED my blood sugar is kept very stable and I've supplemented with magnesium (more on this below).

Other things that have saved me that I wish my doctor had been able to tell me about:

Magnesium oil. Lots of it. Every day. There's a link between magnesium deficiency and EDS/fibro/chronic pain in general. Magnesium is also depleted by sugar consumption (I was a terrible sugar muncher before!). Using mag oil means my tight, achy hypermobile muscles can relax and repair more rapidly. I feel like I've taken a muscle-relaxant when I use it and it's drug free.

Vitamin D 5000IUs daily, but only once magnesium has been used daily for 2-3weeks. I initially made the mistake of taking vit D straight away and felt very overstimulated. Turns out this was an indication of magnesium deficiency, as it is required for our bodies to synthesise vitamin D.

Pig thyroid supplementation.

Kelp capsules. I had developed painful fibrocystic breasts and signs of low iodine but this is no longer an issue thanks to kelp.

I may well have repeated some things that have already been mentioned but I know how much I have appreciated being able to find useful info on forums! As always, make sure you consult a GP/practitioner before making any lifestyle/supplement changes.

These are just the things that have changed my life for the better :-) I'm 100 times more stable emotionally and physically than I think I have EVER been and I hope someone finds this info useful!

Sarah x

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647