Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast

Thread: Horsewoman stays the distance with primal! page 46

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I am very happy to have completed a full week. I made the Everyday Paleo fruit cobbler yesterday, minus the honey, and it was delicious, even without cream. I don't usually make desserts when I am eating non-paleo foods, so I don't see it as harking back to unhealthy habits- making a wholesome, sugar free dessert a couple of times a week is a good thing for me I think.

I know I am probably eating too many nuts, and also dark chocolate (because it is starchy and also not guaranteed 100% gluten free), but I am happy for now.

I am noticing feeling discontented and realising it is because my body wants to MOVE. I still feel tired and a little joint soreness, but this is wonderful. I've done either my biomechanics exercises or some kundalini every evening this week. Need to get outdoors today.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Great news. And no, I wouldn't sweat the nuts right now, either - forward is forward, and always better than what you left behind!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Been off the whole 30 for a few days as I got a blood test for inflammatory factors (joint pain worsening so decided to have another go at getting diagnosed), so decided to eat starches beforehand in hope of getting something to show up in my bloods (I do not have fibromyalgia thankyou GP!).

Have a cough, wheezing and rattly windpipe today. Could be a bug but I used to have the exact same symptoms from gluten. I cough up gunk (sorry) and then can hear a funny rumbling noise and feel vibration in my chest as if gunk is bubbling about in there, yuck. Well, I recently discovered that Lindt 90% cocoa chocolate is cc with barley malt, depsite only saying "may contain traces of soy or nuts" on the labelling! Evil Lindt! I have been eating that stuff nearly every day since I went primal in Aug 2010. I've increased it recently as I decided to give it up as it contains starch, and I had a few bars I bought as it was on offer at the supermarket, so have been using them up. So I now wonder if that is why I have had increasing joint pain and general malaise. Have cut it out as of today, so we'll see.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

I've been away for a while, been ill with a realyl nasty chest infection (still am and am getting owrried after 2 courses of antibiotics I am still coughing up lumps of gunk and have a fever, I really don't want to go back to struggling to breathe like I was a couple of weeks ago!) and had a daliance with the "Normal Eating" program before realising who was I trying to kid, it's not about psychology (mice who have had their ability to taste sugar removed still choose sugar water over normal water, and you can't blame that on their childhood or thought patterns!). I got my chronic illness diagnosed at last a couple of weeks ago, I have hypermobility syndrome, not AS. I can eat starch again, yay!! I'll be getting physio and hope it helps with the joint pain and fatigue.

Taking out the Lindt has definately helped, my digestion is much better.

I'm reading this book at the moment Dr. Mike Dow - Diet Rehab. It has an interesting perspecitive on food addiction and neurochemical issues and is helping formalise some of the ideas I have currently. One thing that interests me is that he talks about serotonin and dpoamine problems, serotonin is clearly my worst though dopamine is an isue too. Dopamine is raised by, amongst other things, red meat, fat, extreme sports and so on. Serotonin is raised by other things, including carbs. It really makes sense of how some people (espcially men who are more likely to be short of dopamine than serotonin) do so well on a lifestyle of lots of red meat, fat, primal workouts and coffee. Whereas for someone like me who is really low in serotonin, that doesn't work as it leaves my serotonin even more depleted.

5-HTP isn't really helping me. Both times I introduced it, I felt great for a couple of weeks and then it worse off. My theory is that my body adjusts and reverts back to what it considers to be the correct level of serotonin for my current state. The plan uses foods and lifestyle changes to boost levels of key neurochemicals (also including endorphins).

My plan now is to get back into regular proper meals with protein, fats, veggies and safer starches, and work on lifestule changes, and not worry for now about craving other stuff. He even claims you will be able to still eat some sugary foods etc without a problem, though I will believe that when I see it!

I am resigning my job tomorrow, it is just too much for me with family commitments, health and so on. Hopefully I will get rid of this bronchitis sometime soon and then I can start trying to get back into a positive cycle instead of the negative one I've been stuck in since a traumatic experience in Feb 2010. Here's hoping!

Harold Whitman

Good to hear from you. I've been thinking of you. Thanks for the update, and lots of positive thoughts headed your way!

Thanks . I saw the doc again yesterday and he said my chest sounds clear now and he thinks the fever I had at the weekend may have been another virus rather than the chest infection coming back. I'm doing lots of garlic, thyme tea, elderberry syrup etc and crossing my fingers. Got today and tomorrow off and then back to work until the end of my notice period in 4 weeks.

Hopefully I can finish reading the book in that time, and pick up some useful tips on raising serotonin with diet and activities. Adding starch back in is definately helping, although I have a bit of a quandary with starch choices as the "safe starches" include quite alot of "whites" which aren't ideal for me. Though a modest amount of tapioca flour with 4 eggs and plenty of butter is not like eating white bread on it's own.

I can't wait to get out of the non stop rushing, pressure and focing myself to keep going. No energy to do anything active for myself and the relentless pressure has made it impossible for me to eat well, I am too busy getting through the day any way I can. Money will be tight but my husband had some unexpected work come in last week so that'll help.

Another 2.5 weeks and I can get up on the moors with my new puppy, yippee!

Harold Whitman

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    oooh the moors...I just had a Heathcliff moment. Hi Horsewoman. Nice to read your posts again.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

LOL well that's about 14 miles from where I live . Ours are better though lol

Harold Whitman

Well I've been contemplating my next step and have decided that I am basically done with paleo. There were two reasons I decided to try it- still having joint pain after eliminating gluten and so wondering if I was reacting to other grains/ dairy etc, and secondly in hope it would help with cravings/ carb addiction. I now know the joint pain (and the fatigue) is down to HMS and as for the cravings etc, that has all got a lot worse (which has then snowballed into more fatigue, weight gain which worsens joint pain and so on).

I have no intention of eating SAD, but I didn't get fat and sick from eating buckwheat. And the "safer starches" aren't ideal for me as they are whiter ones which are a problem for my blood sugar. I am still open to the possibility that I have other intolerances but I'd rather work that out by trial and error than make blanket rules, my diet is limited enough already. So I am going back to a gluten free, highish protein, moderate good fats, moderate carb with some grains WAP/ real food kind of diet. That's what I was doing 2 years ago and that was the best I have felt in years. I hoped going paleo would take my health up another notch but instead it worsened it. I have no regrets, it was a good thing to try and I have learned a lot, including shedding any residual fear of animal fats that I might have had when I came here in Aug 2010.

Time to move on then, and lastly to say many thanks and much love, and all the best with your journey x

Harold Whitman

I hope you find exactly what you're looking for in health! It's so wise to listen to your body. I don't think buckwheat is going to kill anyone, either, lol, and I have always expected that when I restore my health, I'll have properly prepared, traditional varieties of grains (with plenty of butter) here and there. I hope it's in the cards for me!

Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast