Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Horsewoman stays the distance with primal! page 4

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I went shopping today to stock up some on "primal-ler" treats, as in not pure primal but better than Mars bars lol. Forgot to mention honey and sundried apricots as well, I also bought some smoked salmon .

Well I am pleased with how it is going. Some mild sugar withdrawal but otherwise fine. Long term of course I need to cut out/ down more stuff, but if this helps me get steady instead of jumping on and off, then I am happy.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    You go, horsewoman!!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

I'm really happy at the moment. Did a 5 hr yoga workshop with teachers visiting from India, was brilliant, we weren't supposed to eat, I had a couple of dried apricots and a really few nuts during the break and was fine right the way through! It is weird, even with lots of fruit, and having honey and sometimes sugar, my blood sugar is more stable. But if I eat grains, it is dodgy.

I am loving this. My blood sugar has never been so stable, even though I am eating lots of fruit, and also having honey and dried fruit as and when I fancy it (which seems to be getting less). I can get up in the morning and make the kids packed lunches etc without feeling like I am going to pass out because I didn't eat the minute I got out of bed.

I realised the last 2 times I slipped up were PMS time, so I will watch out for that and see if I can mitigate it somehow. But if I do slip I will know why, and a few days of less good eating a month won't undo the benefits of the rest of what I am doing, and I will still stay grain free.

PMS time nobbled me again, and also I've been poorly and not been able to manage making good meals. I make do with things like canned mackerel and microwaved green beans, but it doesn't hit the spot and then I find I want junky stuff.

But actually I am really pleased with how it is going. It wouldn't be reasonable to expect an instant miracle cure of a lifetime of disordered eating and long term ill health. The signs are good, I am hopeful .

Well I am still here and still going. Primal is going to be a lifelong thing for me, I know it. I can't imagine ever going back to grains having seen how my body has changed. Just not having the crazy blood sugar and not needing to eat huge amounts is wonderful.

I am having sugar things every now and then but finding it easier to get back on track, in fact not seeing it as going off track but just not expecting 100% perfection.

I have noticed some food intolerance symptoms creeping in though- muscle soreness, fluid retention, heartburn etc. The only thing I have changed apart from cutting out nasties is I am having cream daily instead of every now and then. I already know cheese gives me stomach ache, I suspect casein so hoped I might get away with having cream. Hopefully that's the culprit- have binned the last of it this morning so fingers crossed.

I haven't been doing so much yoga or swimming due to pain in my shoulders (a major food intolerance symptom for me- on gluten I could hardly move my arms first thing in the morning). So I really hope it eases off over the next week or two dairy free.

Help me be strong! No gluten, no grains, no problem. No dairy... well I find it really tough. I'm not having dried fruit or honey, I'm better without those. Just have 90% cocoa choc and wine and cider as my last indulgences!

Be strong!

Just not having the crazy blood sugar and not needing to eat huge amounts is wonderful.
    Isn't it? I mean, it's just wonderful. Even though I'm still fighting the battle against inadvertently-increasing-amounts-of-fruit-until-I-find-I'm-having-half-a-jar-of-100%-fruit-jam-a-day, I still feel so much better than before kicking the grains. I told DH the other day that I think in retrospect, I'm going to call part of my pre-primal experience "chronic fatigue syndrome," b/c as I come out of it, it becomes so clear that I was in it, even though at the time, I thought I just had a laziness problem. There's such a difference. And he said, "Why would anyone ever want to go back to all those grains when there's such a difference?" I was surprised to hear it from him.

Go, go, go, horsewoman! I know, the dairy thing is hard for me, too. I really didn't relish experimenting to see if I did better without it. I still don't know if I do, but I have only added 24-hr fermented yogurt back for now, so we'll see. I'm living on meat, veggies, eggs, yogurt, nuts, & fruit now - and that's actually a lot!

Thanks.

I'm feeling better off dairy, no more tummy aches.

I've been feeling quite down the last couple of weeks, was putting it down to seasonal issues which I get every year (I have a lightbox but it's not a cure). I am upping my vit D to 2000iu a day.

But I realised today also that I have gone back into body hatred and seeing my body as something I need to fight against. The seasonal stuff/ tiredness/ stress with my marriage and so on, but also because I am still not losing weight. It is hard to do Primal as an obese woman and not get sucked into that.

I need to refocus, I am doing this for my health. Sure I'd love to be 130lbs and go running again. But whatever happened to my body whent he gluten illness kicked in 6 years ago, means I just can't do it. My body doesn't want to lose weight and can't handle hard exercise. I walk and do yoga, try to pace myself, eat as well as I can, and that is the best I can do. Maybe one day it'll change- just get better with TLC or I'll get a diagnosis or something. For now I need to accept the situation and do the best I can to take care of myself, which includes treating my body with love and not seeing it as the enemy, and not feeling like I cant be happy until I lose weight.

I am planning some "Primal-ish" stuff for Christmas- almond meal apple and spice tarts, and shredded coconut and dried fruit and nuts mixed witrh melted 90% choc. My special treat will be a box of dark chocolate gingers. Having said that, I am having to cut right down on dark chocolate as well, it's just too much caffeine for my super-sensitive body, grrr! A little bit a day is affecting my sleep and my anxiety level.

Taking care of my body is like studying for a degree LOL. I have been having awful problems with pain in my shulders and neck, the worst thing was it affects my sleep and then I get down and struggle to cope with say to day stuff. I've finally given in and put myself on a short course of ibuprofen. Two days in, I am feelign much better. Except now I am coughing non stop as the ibu is triggering my asthma. Eye rolling time LOL

{{{Hugs}}}

Taking care of my body is like studying for a degree
    I feel like this so often. It's mentally exhausting trying to track down what to do right, and then solve the little problems. I mean, I've gone primal, but am constantly fighting the fruit-creep even after 10 months, and still fighting bloating and fatigue. It's all BETTER, and much of what used to be issues physically is completely gone,b ut there is still much to work through.

BTDoingT with the body loathing, too. In the five years I spent gaining weight, I never bought any clothes. I didn't want to "reward" myself for gaining weight. The only things I had that fit were things my mother bought for my birthday or I got from my sister as she was losing weight. I still have this usually-subconscious feeling that (while I absolutely have an underlying deep joy) I'll really enjoy life fully again "once I'm thin." Maybe we could both use some company here from those who've fought this battle. I'm thinking of batty's thread, the "More than 100 to lose" group, some of the other threads where those of us who have/had a lot to lose have shared a lot here...

Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast