Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Horsewoman stays the distance with primal! page 39

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I just remembered that the only thing I took out when starting GAPS intro was potatoes - everything else was already out that's not GAPS-friendly! But I think it was the incredible amount of broth that did it for us that first week.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    I just remembered that the only thing I took out when starting GAPS intro was potatoes - everything else was already out that's not GAPS-friendly! But I think it was the incredible amount of broth that did it for us that first week.
    Aha yes that could do it I'm sure. I went through a chicken's worth of broth per day during the 3 intro days so pretty good. Am sick of the sight of it now mind you, but that's okay because I can make proper soups again now. Dh made a lovely beef stew for tea today .

I am working on chewing more thoroughly to improve digestion of the starch I will still have in my diet. Not easy after years of learning to gobble whilst trying to get food down before the baby started crying/ kids begging for yoghurts etc lol.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Good first day of regular food. Had 3 lots of the timed honey, in herbal tea because I'd rather avoid a strong sweet taste. Seems fine in terms of blood sugar etc. Just hope it's enough to keep the big blues at bay!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Still going well. I've noticed after meals I start thinking about the honey but I just get on with something else and soon forget about it. Have just passed ovulation so will soon find out if it's enough to get me through PMS without a binge. I can start a little fruit now so that may be helpful to round off a meal.

I am going to have some dry wine tonight, hope that doesn't upset the applecart.

Harold Whitman

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I am glad to hear things are going well!
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

I went to a handfasting yesterday, was beautiful and I had a role in the ceremony, never done that before, had to dress up in a robe lol, it was very moving, especially the beautiful vows my friends had written together. Food was a BBQ (as in burgers and sausages with gluten in and gluten buns) with salads (ie pasta salad and coleslaw) and desserts. I was very glad I'd taken my own food (cold chicken with olives, cucmber and celery with EVO and red wine vinegar dressing) and I even took honey with me so I didn't miss that. I had one very small glass of dry red wine at 4pm at the same time as my afternoon honey.

Harold Whitman

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    The honey thing you're doing sounds very smart - how's it going?

This blogpost had me thinking of you - seems he's even explaining some of what makes RR successful, and talks about the tryptophan thing in more detail. IDK if it answers the question you had earlier on the LR thread or not, but there's a lot to wade through here! HORMONES = EPIGENETIC SWITCH POSITION | Jack Kruse
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    The honey thing you're doing sounds very smart - how's it going?

This blogpost had me thinking of you - seems he's even explaining some of what makes RR successful, and talks about the tryptophan thing in more detail. IDK if it answers the question you had earlier on the LR thread or not, but there's a lot to wade through here! HORMONES = EPIGENETIC SWITCH POSITION | Jack Kruse
    Thanks, I'll have a look.

The honey thing seems to be working pretty well. I found some local honey in town yesterday so am switching to that. Had some mild cravings a couple of days ago but generally fine. I do look forward to the honey and after I sometimes want more but I know if I just wait 20-30mins I'll forget about it.

I had some stewed bramley apple and that seems to trigger more joint pain. Could be that it's starchy. I need to get some iodine and start testing to make sure I really keep starch to a minimum.

The article is interesting. I have to admit I am pretty stunned he's written about serotonin production in this way, after rubbishing me and others in his thread who said we didn't thrive on low carb, even mentioning Judith Wurtman who I was quoting to him and he was telling me I was wrong and that my issue was liver leptin resistance! I disagree that low carb flu is to do with serotonin. I think it goes- sugar/ carb withdrawal first 4 days or so (low BE etc), low carb flu for me is worst from about day 6-14 as I use up glycogen and switch to burning fat, then the low serotonin takes a few weeks to gradually amp up and worsens over months. It takes more than 2 weeks of 5-HTP when you change your diet, to keep that at bay if you have a real tendency to low serotonin rather than just a minor adjustment issue. It's not even got going by that point. Also he says the issue is tryptophan having to compete to be absorbed in the gut, when actually it is competing to cross the blood-brain barrier into the brain that is the issue, and is helped by insulin release. Not absorption in the gut. I have no idea why he equates serotonin issues with low carb flu, they're not remotely similar. Everyone knows low carb flu is about switching from carbs to fat for fuel.

I have to admit, I have a problem with Dr Kruse. He doesn't seem to be honest, intellectually or otherwise, and seems to be too much about self promotion, clearly lapping up the adulation he's managed to get himself here with his "I'm a neurosurgeon, aren't I amazing" way of presenting himself. The way he responds when queried reminds me a lot of KD's style- either bluntly telling you you're wrong and he knows what's best for you or ignoring you. Now he's added telling people they're wrong, taking their ideas and claiming they're his. Very Kathleen. I still have found no evidence that serotonin is transported from the gut into the brain. And hey there's a lot more to GAPs than healing leaky gut! Leaky gut is caused by growth hormone deficiency which women all get at 35? Don't make me laugh!He clearly knows very little about it but has thrown it in here because we're talking about it at MDA and he wants to claim he's there on that too.

To be honest all I get out of that article is an even stronger feeling of dodginess around him! The article is very disjointed, somewhat nonsensical and makes it sound like he's cobbled it together from google articles. I'm glad the reset has worked for you, but even with that he's taking credit for the work of the guy who wrote Mastering Leptin, since his program is the same as that except tweaked for carb levels. It would be much more honest for him to say he used that protocol except found lower carb worked better for him. And I still can't work out why he is treating patients for hormonal disorders if he's a neurosurgeon. He's not an endocrinologist! Well, I don't know, maybe he's not that dodgy, just a bit of a plagarist and self-promotor, but he certainly can't write, and doesn't know anything like as much as he tries to give the impression he does.
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 08-17-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Harold Whitman

Encouraging today. Had a harrowing afternoon with fresh revelations about dh and his French slut. Yet even when I felt in the pit of hell, I didn't crave a binge! I did get wine and fully intend to drink the bottle but even that is a choice, not a craving. It might mess things up, if it does so be it, still, I am encouraged.

Harold Whitman

The honey thing is working brilliantly for my mood and cravings. I take it about 3 hrs after a meal, and take tryptophan 30-60mins before to maximise the benefit. Haven't felt this good for years, and not having sugar cravings!

BUT- Joint pain still flaring up 2 weeks in, worse even than when I was bingeing with sucrose and lactose every day. No idea why, but can only assume it's the honey since it's the only thing I'm doing differently except for cutting out nightshades, starchier veg like parsnips, dairy and eggs. I am more sore today than I have been in years. Grrr! So near, yet so far! Glucose and fructose is supposed to be okay but maybe 6 tsp of honey a day is just to much. I also have (TMI) very mucousy motions which also suggests bacteria in my gut are getting fed too much. Gah!

Harold Whitman

Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast