Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Horsewoman stays the distance with primal! page 38

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Killer headache, trying not to throw up with reflux, really spaced out and wobbly. Gah, did not expect it to be so bad so soon, how the heck can I get through the next few days? Cravings are kicking in as well. Chocolate... ice cream...........
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 08-07-2011 at 07:16 AM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Have you had your thyroid and hormone levels checked? That could be a reason for weight gain.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Have you had your thyroid and hormone levels checked? That could be a reason for weight gain.
    Yes, that was one of the things my GP did, and I paid privately to be tested for thyroid antibodies too. My focus is on dealing with the autoimmune joint issues now, so I'm trying not to worry about my weight for now really.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Went to bed after posting about how bad I felt, and slept hard for about 2 hrs, really, really needed that. Feel more hopeful that I can stick it out now. School holidays isn't the best time for this but I wanted to do it when I'm off work in case it causes diarrhoea. Ah well, my girls are arranging to see friends and the boys will love a pyjama day tomorrow! More chicken and broth now, yum lol.

Harold Whitman

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I was shocked at how sick I got the first two days of intro. Just shocked.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

I think I remember you saying that some members of your family threw up? Or maybe that was someone else... I did not have sickness or diarrhoea but the heartburn was so bad I nearly threw up just from that, lovely lol. I feel okay now except a bit headachy and tired, will be interesting to see how today goes.

I've made another batch of chicken soup for todays breakfast and lunch, I think then I will have some white fish for dinner, then tomorrow do meat/ broth/ carrots like SCD intro and then onto the basic autoimmune paleo diet.

It's confusing having 3 different sources to refer to, I don't know why I always do that and try to combine them because I just end up confused. I'm trying to find the best way I suppose! For example SCD has carrots in the intro, whereas the low starch diet has them as a category 3 starchy food which you should eliminate if just stopping the 1 and 2 foods doesn't fix things.

I'm finding this all really fascinating. I love it when things come together and make sense. I think gut damage is an important part of the story. As it says in the GAPs book, enterocytes on the villi are responsible for breaking down disaccharides (maltose from starch, lactose, sucrose). If the villi are damaged, for example by gluten, the disaccharides don't get broken down and absorbed so they feed gut flora instead. If you're lucky enough to have HLA-B27 and Klebsiella, you've got a ton of antibodies that'll attack your joints, hey presto you're in a bad way! And yep leaky gut is only going to make it worse. Other genes, other organisms, can lead to other diseases if different cells are attacked by the immune system.

Explain why when my celiac ramped up, so did the AS, and why cutting gluten improved AS even though I didn't reduce my starch intake. I was interested to note that in the low starch book she had the same experience as me- cut out gluten/ grains and was well for 18mo-2 yrs and then symptoms recurred. I get goosebumps when someone has such a similar story and it is so affirming. Hey, I'm not a malingerer!!!

I think just doing low starch is good but working on gut healing as well is even better. Of course low starch virtually gluten free and grain free so that's a good start smile.

According to GAPs you can heal the gut so it will break down disaccharides properly, so you can eat starches again after two years or so. I don't know if that would work well enough for AS though.
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 08-08-2011 at 02:58 AM.

Harold Whitman

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Every one of us threw up, IIRC. Even my husband who has never vomited once in the 17 years I've known him. Crazy stuff, that purging.

I hope this helps you on your path to health! I know it did a lot for us, even though it didn't do the thing I wanted most (kill the binges).
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Every one of us threw up, IIRC. Even my husband who has never vomited once in the 17 years I've known him. Crazy stuff, that purging.

I hope this helps you on your path to health! I know it did a lot for us, even though it didn't do the thing I wanted most (kill the binges).
    Wow, that's radical! I was okay yesterday, bit of heartburn and a headache but that's all. I guess since I already did things like 30 days of strict vlc, maybe I'm in better shape so the effects are less.

I'm doing the SCD chicken soup with carrots today, and beef mince for tea, then tomorrow will switch gently onto the autoimmune paleo protocol. Not eating eggs is a pain, meat at every meal! I think that'll be the first thing I try reintroducing.

Harold Whitman

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I am lactose intolerant and I have trouble with most of the FODMAPs food, but I find as I am getting a healthier gut - (it is basically back to normal now, something I didn't think would ever happen!) that I am less lactose intolerant than I used to be. I wouldn't be surprised that if I left it long enough, I may be able to introduce some of the FODMAPs stuff back in and tolerate it.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Some people on the AS forum say they have been able to eat more starch after going very low starch for a while. I am thinking amybe I could do 2 or 3 days intro-style every so often to kelp keep things under control.

Well, I survived the 3 days of intro, so onto autoimune paleo recs now. Am going to add in timed honey 3 hrs after meals today in hope of avoiding the low carb serotonin drop.

Harold Whitman

Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast