Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Horsewoman stays the distance with primal! page 37

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoBanshee View Post
    I'm with you. Maybe we could start a group on here, on Sparkpeople, or some sort of discussion blog?
    I just came back to edit my post to say if anyone has any suggestions that'd be great. I can't go back to RR, Heal Thyself has been helpful but is too focussed on chelating, removing fillings and all that. Shame there isn't a Nourishing Traditions forum, that might have worked for me. It's a shame paleo is so dominated by one particular crowd (very low body fat, muscle building, VLC etc), so many other people could benefit healthwise. I'm not sure I'm up to starting something at the moment though. I am a member of Sparkpeople I think.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

IndigoBanshee is offline Senior Member
    I started a Grain Free group on Sparkpeople with a disclaimer that extremes are not welcome. I've been feeling the same way you do, and they have some good tools over there for tracking and stuff. I'm under the same name, so you can find the group on my page or by searching.

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoBanshee View Post
    I started a Grain Free group on Sparkpeople with a disclaimer that extremes are not welcome. I've been feeling the same way you do, and they have some good tools over there for tracking and stuff. I'm under the same name, so you can find the group on my page or by searching.
    Thanks . I'm not actually grain free though, as eat white rice, and Sparkpeople is a weightloss site so probably not the best place for me to get back out of diethead. But I will drop over there.
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 07-02-2011 at 08:06 AM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

IndigoBanshee is offline Senior Member
    I probably will too, but I haven't gotten there yet. But I couldn't think of a better name... lol

Joint pain is not resolving so I wondering if it is the rice. Could be cross contamination. I think what I really need to do is go nightshade free paleo ie get rid of grains completely, and see if they symptoms resolve. And then if they do, try reintroducing things one item (and brand, in case of gluten cross contamination issues) at a time.

I added in some gluten free rice and buckwheat cereal yesterday, because I don't want to cut sugar at the same time as dairy (cos then I slip up with sugar and end up eating ice cream). Now I am bloated as if I am 7 months pregnant. Aaaargh!

But I just can't face it at the moment!
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 07-07-2011 at 01:16 AM.

Harold Whitman

I'm wondering if I need to take carbs out for a while anyway, I could do a leptin reset at the same time. Kill 3 birds with one stone- take out carbs and nightshades, stick to GAPs approved food and add lots of ferments and bone broth etc, and eat according to the leptin rules (which is basically what I do on LC anyway).

Of course, that is basically what I did on my whole30 and it was hell, and I probably have no chance of sticking to it.

I'm very concerned. I'm getting fatter, my food is still out of control, I'm still lower in mood than pre-primal despite adding carbs in, adding 5-HTP and it being summer. I usually feel good in summer. I just never thought things would go so downhill again.

Could say,c ome on silly, primal doesn't work for you, look how you've got worse in every way. The thing is, what the heck else am I going to do? I wanted to do RR but if I can't find carbs I can eat then that's not going to be feasible.

The only other idea I had was I could do basically as above but add in a small portion of sweet potato 3 hrs after dinner. Might balls up all my goals of course.

I dunno!

Harold Whitman

irenesom is offline Senior Member
    Horsewoman, I reckon the leptin reset seems like a plan. I am starting on Monday when I get back from holiday (in Greece) it's almost too hot to think here but I realise I have to give it a go. I have been bouncing on and off paleo since new year. Sometimes feeling good but mostly feeling like I am stuck on that induction phase. Eg fall off paleo, get pissed off, restart, start to feel better and then eff it up again.

So, maybe establishing leptin is the way. I also think I have to simplify my food choices. Rather than feeling I have a wide variety just eating the same things, almost making food a bit mundane so I stop obsessing about it.

In short what I am trying to say is I am going to put a plan together and run it for 6-8 weeks, following the reset. I am not going to let temporary or short term things derail me. Hopefully when I get to the other side I will be leptin sensitive.

So good luck with what you decide but I can't help feeling regaining ls is the first step and just keep it simple. good luck.

irenesom is offline Senior Member
    Btw, give me a shout if you want to buddy up during this process? I could do with a bit of moral support to help nail this 6 weeks, varying between arm round shoulder and kick up backside! Lol of course it's too hard to explain leptin to friends in my real world - they just think I am off on another mad diet fad. Blah blah blah.

Thanks, and if I decide to do it then I would love to buddy up. I'm just not sure though, I know I'd have to go low carb to be able to avoid snacking, and I just don't know if I can face it again... mega low carb flu followed by steadily increasing depression and exhaustion, bleurgh! It really was awful. A few times I just lay in bed in the morning like a zombie and my husband had to take the kids to school.

My experience has been similar, falling on and off paleo for the last 9mo. I did a strict whole30 once but by the skin of my teeth!

Well, if I am going to do it then it'll have to be soon, as summer is by far the best time since I have SAD. I wonder how worthwhile it would be to just do it for a few weeks or even 30 days. More chance of sticking to it then than if I am thinking 6mo or whatever. I'll ponder for a couple of days I think. 6-8 weeks might be manageable if I can get through PMS!

And yeah I'm sure all my friends and family think I am nuts, except my husband thankfully, and my mum's been a lot more supportive since we moved to live hear her and she's seen for herself how food affects me. But yeah I blather on about celiac, leptin, serotonin, nightshades, paleo etc on FB all the time lol.
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 07-07-2011 at 06:11 AM.

Harold Whitman

It's a year since I first went properly primal. A good time for starting my SCD/ GAPs/ low starch AS diet today.

I'm doing a couple of days of intro as here The SCD Intro Diet and then onto a minimal starch autoimmune paleo diet. Once I'm steady and hopefullypain free I can try reintroducing eggs and nightshades and later on maybe dairy.

So far so good, I had chicken and broth for breakfast and lunch and am feeling fine except I have horrendous acid reflux, really wish I could take some Gaviscon! There's going to be some hellish sugar withdrawal and low carb flu, so I hope I can make it through.

I'd like to do the leptin reset once I am steady on the basic diet. I don't want to increase my chances of falling off the low starch diet by restricting how many times I can eat per day, so need to hold off for now. I would also like to try timed fruit/ honey as in the Serotonin Diet/ Potatoes not Prozac though. That might need to take priority if I get too depressed and cravy again.

Harold Whitman

Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast