Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Horsewoman stays the distance with primal! page 3

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by TAWFUNGUY View Post
    Sorry to hear that you are having some issues.... hopefully they will work out soon. The goal is to get back on track when we stumble. When it comes to the scales, I have learned with women that the scale doesn't always reflect what is actually happening. I have learned and seen that for women the best way to check on the weight loss is not by the scales but by using a body tape measure. My wifey went through the same thing and got very discouraged... that was until we used the tape on her and she noticed immediately that inches were starting to come off from around her body, despite the scale saying she was plataeuing or slightly gaining. It is just something to consider.

Keep in it and keep your head up.... you WILL make it through and we here in the tribe believe in a saying.... "NO GROK LEFT BEHIND!"
    Thanks, that is interesting and helpful . I am seriously thinking getting rid of my scales, I don't weigh myself often but still it often doesn't do me good when I do. Maybe I can set a better example for my daughters than my weight-obsessed mum set for me.

I took measurements at the beginning so I can check up on that, but will do my best to wait till the end of the 30 days I think. Once a month is enough, yes .

I am determined to unlearn the all or nothing attitude I aquired through Radiant Recovery. Where every slip becomes the "last chance" to eat things and it turns into a week-long binge! Sugary rubbish will always be there. On a happy note, I bought a box of chocolates for us to have with a DVD tonight, and actually I find the idea of that greasy, sugary milk chocolate with sickly sillings a bit gross, after only having 85% choc for the last 10 days. Good hey .

No need to be perfect. Every good choice counts. Onwards and upwards. Etc!

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Beautifully done! Your meals and "exercise" outings (b/c they look so delightful it's hard to call them exercise) look simply wonderful!

I didn't get the "all or nothing" vibe from RR, but now that you mention it, I can see it - "We're just like alcoholics; we will always be "special" "sugar-sensitives," we must never touch it again..." The "we're special" thing bothered me b/c I can clearly see that probably half of the people I know are addicted to sugar/grains and just don't know it. Of course, I think alcoholics *are* just like SS's - we're all addicted to sugar, just in different forms. Just like heroin addicts & prescription drug addicts, actually, too. Same receptors, different drug - and we all need the same "cure" - real food, no grains, no sugar.

You're right; it's never "all or nothing" - I've been learning to "focus on the next meal, not the last meal." I really like the cheerfulness & hope inherent in that, not to mention the fact that it's *right* - filling the next meal with solid, real, nourishing foods is the best way to make sure the blip doesn't turn into an end.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    About that weird chocolate that messed with your heart and chocolate in general-

I wonder if it didn't have sugar alcohols in it? They've always made me (and a lot of other people) feel a bit 'funny' for lack of a better term. And not ha-ha funny either! lol. I know they do something weird to my blood sugar. Maybe keep an eye on that brand.

About chocolate in general, though: I'm a serious chocoholic, and I've gotten to the point there I don't even WANT sweetened chocolate. Having 'sweet' chocolate seems wrong to me. If you get a reaaaally good quality cocoa like Camino or Greens and Blacks, you can add some to hot water or cream (or your coffee for mocha) and it's a real nonsweet, low carb chocolate treat.

I think decoupling 'chocolate' from 'sweet' can help. We get used to having sweet chocolate, but we get used to having sweet coffee too, and a lot of people just drink their coffee black.

Anyway, thanks for all your help in my thread and good luck with your journey.

Well today I went waaay off the wagon, but I asked my husband to move out this morning, after an incident last night that gave me the confirmation I needed. So I am going very easy on myself!

I just spent the evening at the first class of my djembe drumming course, learning African rhythms, pretty primal I reckon!

Oh and I made a yummy primal goulash for tea .

I'm sorry to hear it's come to that point, HW. I hope you find peace in your situation!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    I'm sorry to hear it's come to that point, HW. I hope you find peace in your situation!
    Thanks. I am confident it is the right thing and the right time .

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    Good for you for standing up for yourself. Hugs if you want 'em, that's a rough situation.

Thanks, and hugs are welcome .

I have been eating all kind of crap, but still getting in primal meals and keeping my mind on moving forward. Skipped breakfast the last couple of says though, just felt too grotty to bother. Not a good idea for me, I need fuel in the morning.

Today I am recommitting and working my way back up to properly primal, using some RR basics (jumping right in doesn't work for me if I've been eating lots of sugar, the withdrawal is too much to get through).

So- that means regular primal meals and I will have one sugary thing after each meal. Once I am steady with that I will reduce the sugar, then switch to fruit. In the long term I think fruit needs to go. A few nuts between meals if I need.

I am not surprised I slipped up, I went into denial telling myself I could follow the standard primal rules and be okay. But I know from 10 years of work that my body can't handle that. For example, a glass of wine on Friday evening means mega sugar cravings on Monday (due to the endorphin withdrawal), so I am setting myself up for trouble.

So I am eating my breakfast, even though I don't feel like it. I have 4 eggs scrambled in ghee and a pile of leftover stir fry veg from last night. SJW tea and 10 mins of my lightbox. My husband is taking the kids to school and I am going back to bed to read for half an hour. Clean the bathroom, do some laundry, go for a walk if it stops pouring with rain.

10.30 some nuts

12.40 steak in EVOO and ghee, cabbage, gluten free brownies and 85% choc

5.40 beef chilli with lots of veggies in, ice cream and gluten free brownies

I know it's a lot of sugar, but it's the best way to transition for me, without going into mega withdrawal and then falling off the wagon completely! I am happy with how the day has gone, especially as it has been a very hard and stressful day.

On the upside, I just booked to do a charity fire walk!!
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 09-23-2010 at 09:56 AM.

So- that means regular primal meals and I will have one sugary thing after each meal. Once I am steady with that I will reduce the sugar, then switch to fruit. In the long term I think fruit needs to go.
    This is just what I do, too. I've found that over the last 7 months of eating primally, that I've needed gradually less and less recovery, to the point of only needing a few meals of extra fruit till I'm back to "normal," and that's nice, too.

I am not surprised I slipped up, I went into denial telling myself I could follow the standard primal rules and be okay. But I know from 10 years of work that my body can't handle that. For example, a glass of wine on Friday evening means mega sugar cravings on Monday (due to the endorphin withdrawal), so I am setting myself up for trouble.
    Yes, that, too! I don't love being right on the edge (that's that cliff where "just one bite" = plunging over the edge), and have found myself moving further from the edge, probably from the gut healing that has happened from primal eating. Still, I'm closer to "the edge" than I'd like, which is why I've dived into the GAPS gut-healing thing. I have high hopes!

Just keep being gentle with yourself - we need that!

PrimalCon New York
    Right, I am ready to post again today. I have been in a sugar-fuelled mess the last week or so. But I have tried to approach it differently from in the past, to accept I was stuck and go with it, enjoy the things I ate and not condemn myself or keep promising "tomorrow I will stop and be clean forever". I've been feeling porrly as well as very stressed and not sleeping, and the last 3 days of the week while the kids were at school I ate ice cream every morning whilst watching 2 episodes each day of the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. It was delicious, in every sense .

I have stuck with primal meals at every meal except one lunchtime last week I had brown rice pasta and cheese. That night despite a good primal dinner and supper too, I woke at 2am starving hungry! Funny because 2 of the other days I didn't even eat lunch.

My plan now is to shift onto more primal "treats" to ease myself off the sugary stuff. I am relaxing the rules a bit, the idea of 30 days pure primal was nice but not really a good idea for me at this time, it just encourages a continuation of my all or nothing, perfection or binge attitude I learned with RR. I have 85% cocoa choc, some other dark choc with ginger, cream, butter, berries and other fruit including fresh figs, some dates, wine and cider. Cheese I am pondering as it does help me stay away from sugar, but it also gives me tummy aches at night and makes me, um, need the bathroom a lot. I think I will see how I go without it.

Three good primal meals a day, supper if I feel I need it (we eat dinner at 5.30pm with the kids so quite early), relatively primal treats, keep up my lightbox and SJW tea.

I have a pleasant but stressful week ahead- am starting a new job on Weds after 15 years at home with kids, it's only helping a special needs child at lunchtimes at school, but my first paid work in so long, yikes! I am also going to a yoga day with my teacher on Thurs, some iyengar teachers have come over from India, she says they are really great, so I am looking forward to that, but it's not easy turning up to something like that at 230lbs, even if I have been doing yoga for 3 years.

This month is our local literature festival. It is a big national thing, my favourite poet Brian Patten is coming tonight, can't wait! And on Weds the place where I do my yoga and meditation has a poetry night as part of the festival fringe, and it ends with open mic and I am going to read a poem.

I also started seeing a counsellor, I met he rlast Mon and she was great, am seeing her again next Mon.

Sorry to post so much non-food stuff, it's just it's all part of the same journey so it helps to post it all together .

Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast