Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Horsewoman stays the distance with primal! page 12

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The ice cream didn't taste as nice. But of course I remember the old version lol.
    Uh, isn't that so true?! I've spend so many binges trying to get the same old thing to taste like what I remembered it as, lol.

Hugs - hang in there. You are not a smelly fat lady, but a beautiful soul. No one should have to starve to have good health, and you won't, either. You've been fighting hard for a long time, and you're strong enough to keep fighting it. And to gain the physical strength to match it, indeed, my friend.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Uh, isn't that so true?! I've spend so many binges trying to get the same old thing to taste like what I remembered it as, lol.

Hugs - hang in there. You are not a smelly fat lady, but a beautiful soul. No one should have to starve to have good health, and you won't, either. You've been fighting hard for a long time, and you're strong enough to keep fighting it. And to gain the physical strength to match it, indeed, my friend.
    Thankyou my dear x

Well woke today with a bad head, sore throat and swollen glands. Kind of relieved as it means that's why i felt so bad yesterday. Lately I seem to have a day before I get ill where I feel very tired. I am hoping that's actually because I feel better the rest of the time so it's more noticeable that I'm coming down with something!

Took a second 1/2 tsp of CO last night, and had awful hot swollen hands and feet and restlessness all night. Yuck. Am going to stop taking it for a while, lack of sleep affects me so badly and I can't afford that right now while I am getting steady with my food. Add that to the sore thighs from the squats and being starving hungry at 3am (don't know why), and I had very little sleep.

I ovulated yesterday so gearing up to face PMS time cravings now.

Moussaka thing for breakfast again. Going for a walk with my husband for Valentines . It looks sunny, yay, as it poured all day yesterday.

Walk was a short one but lovely, got called into work to fill in for someone, which was fine by me as the little girl I look after was in high spirits, days like that I can't believe I get paid to do that job lol.

Chicken dark meat with asparagus and butter for lunch.

Ate a couple of water kefir grains but skipping the CO today.

Had a message from a friend saying she tried going off gluten for a week and found her symptoms (diagnosed with post viral fatigue for the last 6 years, plus digestive problems and weight issues) went away and then came back when she reintroduced it. I always feel so happy when I can be part of something like that. I'm sure some people think I am weird for posting so much about gluten and food issues on my FB page but if one person decides to go gluten free or paleo because of what I posted then that is a big deal.

Feeling a lot happier than when I woke up, though am really sleepy. Lovely lovey dovey valentine from my husband who I nearly spilt from last year, dancing in the kitchen to the "Into the Wild" soundtrack I bought him. That's living the good life. I ran around a lot looking for life and then I found it was there all along, I was just too sick to see it.

Beef stir fry for tea with cashews (yes I am still eating those every now and then). I'm going to have to stop making these stir fries, I just don't like them without tamari

Looked through PF again tonight and planned my preliminary fitness schedule (can you tell I love my plans and lists lol). This time I am not going to overreach myself, just like I am not trying to change my food, exercise, starting meditating regularly, cut down on internet time, read more and learn to paint all the same week lol. (Yes I really did used to try to do that).

So: 1 swim with sprints, 1 yoga class, 1 LHT session and 1 hike. Plus rest days and some active funw ith the family. Plus the school runs, housework and stuff like that. A nice active lifestyle but not over the top exercise that'll take up all my time and end up with me burning out.

Delicious supper of butternut squash soup made with chicken stock, and flaked almonds. I am very lucky to be married to a master stock and soup (and roast dinner and stew) maker!

It's funny, I feel good and I don't feel fat a lot of the time. Then I catch sight of myself in a mirror or the glass door at school and see how big am and can't really believe it!
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 02-14-2011 at 01:32 PM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Okay. One more day to get to a full 2 weeks. Still scratchy throat and swollen glands this morning but nothing that won't ease once I've been upright and had a hot drink.

Breakfast was 4 scrambled eggs with ghee and seasalt and broccoli.

Off to my yoga class this morning, fingers crossed my ankle can handle it. If it can it'll help it strengthen and heal.

I'm going to make a weekly record of my fitness activities, my weeks start on Monday so this week is recorded below:

Week beginning Feb 14th
    Hike- more of a stroll but did get up on the moors on Mon
    Yoga class- yep, Tues morning
    Swimming + sprints- 45mins of Weds, not sure how many sprints but did several
    LHT- 2x PF bodyweight exercises except pull ups, Thurs eve
    Rest-
    Play-

Lunch- streaky bacon fried in it's own fat, bunch of asparagus with a bit of ghee. Still hungry, tummy rumbling, got too hungry during yoga. Ate some walnuts. Still hungry. Ate a tsp of ghee (gag), bit better but still hungry. Just didn't eat enough after getting so hungry at yoga I think. Was very thin cut bacon, I spread it all over a large frying pan but probably still not as much as I'd usually have.
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 02-18-2011 at 05:46 AM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Just read your post on the calorie thread - maybe you've already done this and I missed it (I don't check all the forum posts very often), but could it be helpful to start a thread specifically asking for ideas about what may help with the weight loss, given all the other good things you're doing? Certainly I think that the health benefits are far more primary, but I TOTALLY understand wanting to be able to buy nice looking clothes, too.

I haven't lost anything on W30 yet, either, but I am still doing very, very fermented yogurt. Still, I expected it to come off fast with all the fruit & nuts taken out.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Just read your post on the calorie thread - maybe you've already done this and I missed it (I don't check all the forum posts very often), but could it be helpful to start a thread specifically asking for ideas about what may help with the weight loss, given all the other good things you're doing? Certainly I think that the health benefits are far more primary, but I TOTALLY understand wanting to be able to buy nice looking clothes, too.

I haven't lost anything on W30 yet, either, but I am still doing very, very fermented yogurt. Still, I expected it to come off fast with all the fruit & nuts taken out.
    Yeah it's in the nutition forum .

Harold Whitman

Starving at 4.30, tried to hang on but when I snapped at my husband knew I needed to eat! Had a jar of green olives and a can of mackerel with olive oil and lime juice.

Tea was smoked mackerel with peppercorns and mixed salad with olive oil and ACV.

Off to the cinema now with my bottle of sparkling water lol.

Harold Whitman

Day 15, first half on my whole30 is done.

Stats as of today:
    weight 233lbs
    upper arm 40.5cm
    waist 119cm
    hips 124.5
    thigh 78.5
    calf 42.5

Stats from beginning of whole 30:
    weight 238lbs
    arm 42cm
    waist 116cm
    hips oops missed it will do lateer
    thigh 77cm
    calf 43cm

Stats from, when I started last Aug:
    Weight 232lbs
    Upper arm 41.5cm.
    Waist 117.5cm
    Hips 121.5cm
    Thigh 78cm
    Calf 42cm

This is very not good. I have gained weight and inches. Very down today, horrendous experience taking my deaf and depressed sister to the the cinema last night, the subtitle projector broke, both her and my mum were crying, it was hideous. And I had a work colleague harrassing me by text as well, apparently she thinks when I need a day off she should just fill in and do my day, and when she has a day off we should swap so she doesn't lose a day. Needlessly to say I said no and asked that we arrange things via the school in future. I hate that kind of conflict. Now I am dreading the school runs as she has a daughter at the same school so I will see her in the playground, not sur eif she will confront me or not.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 02-18-2011 at 06:17 AM.

Harold Whitman

Ugh. 3.5 hours after breakfast and I am hungry. And my mouth tastes extra dog-shitty today. Why am I doing this? So I can get fatter whilst spending a fortune on food and be scared to talk to anyone in case my breath stinks? Our monthly food bill is now as much as what was our entire income 15 years ago. And now inflation is rising, mortgage rates will go back up and we will need to find an extra 500 a month from somewhere.

So, so tired and stressed. Going to work in half an hour and will then find out if my colleague has called them to complain about me. Ugh. This not a judgemental comment because I know this person well and understand and sympathise all too well with the way she is, but you know she is just one of those people where your heart sinks when you find out she's who you're job sharing with, because you just know there will be stress and trouble. I am just sticking to professional and asking that we arrange days off through the school which is what the administrator told me I should be doing. She will get first refusal any time I get a day off, so I'm not sure why she feels she is losing out on work to me. (and the fact that she actually apparently forgot to turn up when she was supposed to be filling in for me is not really my responsibility is it?).

I had so much hope that paleo would be the magic I was looking for- get rid of the last of my lingering intolerance symptoms, as well as sort out my issues with losing weight by being low carb. <sigh>

Gah!

Lunch- canned mackerel with lime juice and EVO, soup made with carrot, parsnip (intentionally making it bit more carby in hope of diminishing the dog shit mouth!), onion, celery and chicken stock I made yesterday.

Got an awful headache and exhausted. Work stress is sorted out now at least, chatted to the administrator and she said my colleague was not allowed to ask me privately to swap days with her to make up for me filling in when she was off (she additionally said no when I asked her to do the same for me!). I've texted her to tell her they said it must all go through the office and we each have an individual contract to work even though we job share, and if we need a day off we tell them and they sort out someone to fill in and that's that. She seems to have accepted that so no more stressy texts coming my way hopefully!

I'm really worried about my sister though. Sadly no amount of healthy eating can cure someone of 9 brain tumours

Stew with swede and carrot and ghee and onion for tea, thanks dh . Ate lots. Cutting down protein or fats is just not going to happen right now.
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 02-16-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Harold Whitman

Hang in there. I'm so sorry about your sister.

The question for me (and it took a long time for me to stay off the significant binges long enough to start seeing results, and still had several periods of close to a month each with no progress in inches or weight) is, does this make intellectual sense, more than anything else, does it match common sense, history, anthropology, biology, and do I *feel* better overall doing it? Does it make anything worse, and is that outweighed by the rest?

I can't imagine how frustrated you must feel right now. Maybe close, b/c I've sort kinda BTDT, but we all have different shoes we're in. I do notice that you waist & hips are the measurements that probably seem most disappointing, and for me, those have nothing to do with weight loss, and everything to do with whether I'm bloated or not, and when I was very overweight, I couldn't even really tell all the timewhether I was bloated or not. I still haven't figured out the bloating mystery.

For instance, right now my waist & hips are several inches more than a few weeks ago, even though I weigh less and my overall measurements have gone down elsewhere. It's bloating. Also, when I'm worst bloated, my forearm & wrist measurements go up. Sometimes my calf. I seem to hold on to water in other places in those time. Since I take so many measurements, I've watched and seen that most weeks 3 or 4 of them will drop and others will hold or go up, then they'll change. And if I'm bloated, random measurements will go up, but usually lower arm & sometimes calf.

IDK, it's weird. But I'm saying, if this is the best diet for the human being (with numerous ways to apply it - have you read the Weston Price research on how he saw people eat with the same principles, but innumerable different ways to apply it?), then it is the best for you. But if it's just "one way out of many," then maybe something else is best. For my part, I'm convinced it's best for everyone. Different people tolerate different amounts of starch & fruit based on ethnic heritage & gut condition & insulin status, sure. But that's within the context of "lots of fat, plenty of protein, limited carbs" for all. That's just my conclusion, though.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-16-2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: left a word out!

I agree with your philosophy, it makes total sense to me.

I don't think it's bloating or fluid retention, I'm really conscious of those, especially as with fluid retention comes the restless legs thing. Unless I really was reacting to the CO.

I've been pondering things and I know eating less isn't going to happen right now. I am thinking best just to hang on for now eating the way that gives me the best chance not to fall off the wagon, and stay as clean as I can and see if my body adjusts. If not, I have lots of ideas to try.

This assmouth today is horrific!

Harold Whitman

Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast