Thread: Severe egg allergy. Need good alternatives folks!! page

PrimalTarheel is offline Junior Member

Severe egg allergy. Need good alternatives folks!!

Primal Fuel
    Seems I've already made a bit of a splash on this forum and gotten myself sidetracked in a debate about severe carb cutting so I figured I'd get on track as far as why I actually joined here: Info and good advice.

Here is my question:

I've had great success living the primal lifestyle for awhile now but one frustrating thing since day one has been my severe egg allergy. In short, I can't eat eggs at all, neither the yolks nor the whites, and I'm looking for some good ideas as to alternatives.

Basically, I'd love some recipe or food choice that is nice and portable like a good hard boiled egg and gives me some semblance of the eggs nutrition but is not actually egg or made of egg!

Hope there are others on here like me who can't eat egg and have found awesome alternatives.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any egg allergies but I don't eat eggs all that often. Are you looking for breakfast foods? For that I often have leftovers. For portability, I like little meatloaf type recipes (ground beef, bison, ostrich, pork, chicken, etc. + chopped/shredded veg) made in muffin tins. A similar thing can be done patty style.

Another helpful source was looking at tapas recipes. I'll take a look at mine and see what might be good to post. Also, these folks posted recently and I found these tasty prosciutto and asparagus wraps that you might find tasty.

rozska is offline Senior Member
    I make my own jerky -- good protein and extremely portable. I also make fruit leathers with non-fat yogurt (fat doesn't dry.) A little higher in sugar, but again, good protein and portable. This next week I'm going to experiment with some "green" leathers, so more veggies. Good luck!
    If I don't live my dream, who will?

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Snacks to take on the go could include:

cold, precooked bacon (yum--just throw into a baggie, you can munch it on the go!)
    jerky
    nuts/seeds
    lunch meat rolls (throw into tupperware)
    bag/can of salmon, tuna, sardines, etc--whatever you like
    organic pepperoni
    If you do dairy, cheese (I don't, so this isn't a big one for me.)

And of course, if you do more carbs, as it seems you do:

whole or cut up fruits or veg, w/ the option of dipping sauce on the side (sealed into a little container) are quick and easy--great dips include guacamole, unsweetened nut butters, salad dressings of all sorts, etc. (A coldpack in a lunchbox works well for this kind of stuff.)

Also, you can always make green smoothies on the go--coconut milk, some water w/ greens and fruit of your choice, put it in a thermos and drink at your lesiure (shaking every once in a while.) You can add nut butter as well for protein.

I know I shared the avocado mayo recipe that I adore in your other thread. Its really really good though, and I mix it w/ salmon for a fantastic and soooo yummy salmon salad. The taste of it actually makes me crave deviled eggs... I sub EVOO for the milk and leave out the sweetener. http://aprovechar.danandsally.com/?p=133

Sometimes I do grassfed hotdogs for breakfast b/c they are so easy & quick to make, as are eggs...

HTH!

PrimalTarheel is offline Junior Member
    Thanks FairyRae......some good ideas there I will add for future use.

I've also make mental note of your avacado mayo recipe for the future as I consider myself to be the worlds biggest fan of avacado's. I could, literally, eat a gallon of guacamole if you put it in front of me!!

As it stands now I mostly eat wild caught sardines as my sub for eggs. I find they match many of the aspects of eggs that I like and, in some ways, are superior to eggs. The downside is they cause bad breath and the odor tends to linger awhile on my hands ounce I've prepared them. Oh well.

As for jerky, I love it but I broke my jaw badly in a motorcycle accident years back and so I tend to avoid overly chewy things (will probably be a lifelong lingering pain/injury).....otherwise I'd be all over the jerky!

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm--I wonder if pemmican would be a better choice for you--I believe the meat is ground/powdered b/4 adding to the fat. I've never had it though...honestly the *idea* of it is not all that appealing to *me*, but it could be worth a try!

Eating fish, all intact, out of a can, is a place I can't go--yet. But I'm loving this recipe for caesar salad dressing from the pioneer woman site that includes anchovies (which get pureed in--I don't need to eat them whole--yay!) I do it w/out the dairy or the worchestire sauce and it is a-ma-zing. Thought I'd share it as well as it is sometimes made w/ eggs (this version is egg free):
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...-salad-part-1/

I getcha on the guac. Yummmmmm!

strom is offline Senior Member
    flax seed meal supposedly has the same consistency as egg white. perhaps that might work.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalTarheel View Post
    As it stands now I mostly eat wild caught sardines as my sub for eggs. I find they match many of the aspects of eggs that I like and, in some ways, are superior to eggs. The downside is they cause bad breath and the odor tends to linger awhile on my hands ounce I've prepared them. Oh well.
    Chewing on a few sprigs of fresh parsley helps with the fish lips problem and fresh lemon does wonders for stinky fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    flax seed meal supposedly has the same consistency as egg white. perhaps that might work.
    I've read that for egg subs in baked products. Also, 1 medium banana, mashed or 1/4 cup of applesauce (organic baby applesauce works well if you just need this small amount) equal 1 egg in baked goods recipes. Not sure how this would work with coco flour recipes where you need a lot of eggs/moisture but it might work well in almond flour recipes.