Thread: msg sensitive peeps page

shannon is offline Senior Member

msg sensitive peeps

Primal Fuel
    so we all know msg is bad. what i want to know is if you are one of those hypersensitive people who can't tolerate it without serious problems, can you eat homemade bone broth and nutritional yeast??? this has been bugging the crap out of me lately bec. i am so into making stock since it's going to be cooler soon. some say yeah cuz glutamic acid isn't the same as msg, some say no. i had a reaction to the nut. yeast but i'm assuming it was a niacin flush (warm, sweaty, breathing slowed a bit). i ate some bone broth and had eh hem diarrhea. so what's the deal?
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

come on guys, leave the trolls alone. really need some advice;-)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

slacker is offline Senior Member
    I'm sensitive as s### to msg. I don't have any advice on it except get good at reading labels and learning all the different names of all the different substances it can hide in. Pretty much anything with yeast or soy in the ingredient name should be considered suspect. "Natural flavor" which is otherwise unspecified can be or have msg in it.

One of the biggest con jobs in food labeling is the "plant nutrient" exemptions for additives in fresh fruits and vegetables. They can add glutamate to the irrigation water they pump into foods like celery, apples and oranges BEFORE they harvest them, and call it a "plant nutrient" and not have to disclose it. Almost all conventionally mega-farmed Red Delicious apples and tomatoes get it now, for instance. I found that one out after I had reactions to apples and some other fresh produce and thought, "Oh, s###, don't tell me I'm sensitive to apples now, for #### sake." I started looking into it and found out that there are all kinds of things that can go into produce in the field, not just pesticides, although those are bad enough.

If I can't get organic ones I trust, I just don't eat them any more. Just cook as much as you can from scratch and try to get locally grown organic food if you can. If humanity survives long enough to have an historical perspective on all this, they will surely find the extent to which we poisoned our own food supplies incomprehensible.

that's the thing, it is from scratch (bone broth) but some say when you cook bones for a long period of time it releases free glutamic acid. is this the same as added msg in processed crap?

Well, yes and no. Check glutamic acid on Wikipedia for a sort out.

What is good or bad for an individual on it is just that -- individual. The Evolutionary Psychiatry blog has lately had several posts on related topics. See

http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogsp...ndmothers.html.

Actually, this one seems more better --- Wikipedia on glutamic acid (flavor).

Elisabeth is offline Junior Member
    i'm very sensitive to MSG and stay away from anything storebought. making my own bone broth does not bother me at all.

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My Dad says he's hypersensitive to MSG. Apparently it gives him heart palpitations, sometimes causing him to go to hospital. However, he's not primal (nowhere near it) and severely overweight.