Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting more fat? page

BareFootForward is offline Junior Member

Getting more fat?

I'm trying to scramble back on the wagon as it rolls by me here. I can never seem to stay Primal, and instead of diving in (yet again) half-assed, I stopped to really really think. And I think it boils down to this: I'm not getting enough calories and fat.

Of course, if I were getting enough fat, I'd be getting enough calories!

I can go through a day with very little food and feel fine, but I lose my mind when it's the end of the day. I usually go for a bowl of homemade popcorn. I thought for a long time that it was carb cravings, but the fact that I ALWAYS want popcorn and not, say, M&Ms, or bread, or anything else, made me wonder if what I'm really craving is the entire stick of butter I melt over the popcorn.

So.... how do I get more fat? I cook with butter (I want to introduce coconut oil!) and I eat fattier cuts of meat, but beyond that, I'm at a loss. I've never believed the "fat is bad" dogma (not even in the height of my dieting craze right after high school) but I've never looked to add fat beyond what's already present in the food. But, obviously, that isn't enough.
    29 years old, type 1 diabetic with insulin resistance -- HORRIBLE a1c, and borderline cholesterol problems. Carb addict.

Lodini is offline Senior Member
    Honestly there isn't much that I don't melt butter on these days! All my veggies get topped with it. Makes them even that much more wonderful
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BareFootForward View Post
    I'm trying to scramble back on the wagon as it rolls by me here. I can never seem to stay Primal, and instead of diving in (yet again) half-assed, I stopped to really really think. And I think it boils down to this: I'm not getting enough calories and fat.
    It never boils down to that. Micros are just as important as macros.

Anyone who's read the PB and is here asking honest questions will know that. Trolls are abundant right now. If you have an honest question, please post your meals for the last week so we can help.

This is not an unlimited fat diet. Sisson gets approx 50% of his cals from fat. It's far from unlimited. In fact, for me, that means no 'free' fat if I'm eating ribeye or brisket for protein.

But really, you sound just like the rest of the them so.....an original angle might be better.

Next.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Lodini is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post

This is not an unlimited fat diet. Sisson gets approx 50% of his cals from fat. It's far from unlimited. In fact, for me, that means no 'free' fat if I'm eating ribeye or brisket for protein.
    You are totally right... even with my added butter, I still don't go above 50-55% fat.
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Agreed. Most of us get just enough fat following the PB as written--eating lots of plants (sometimes topped w/ butter or EVOO in salad dressing) and animals (which typically contain fat as well) along w/ some nuts/seeds. Very few of us see a *need* to add supplemental fat...

To learn more about the basics of the PB, check here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...mal-blueprint/ and here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

I'm in the same boat thinking most folks are trolling around...being primal is so much simpler than lots of folks recently seem to think it is...

If you really really want surplus fat, you could always make some eggs, or make something like coconut bark (google), or eat a handful of nuts/seeds. All contain decent amounts of fat...

Guys, I'm seriously not a troll. Is there any particular thing I can do to prove it? I've been answering some insulin-based questions around here based on my knowledge as a type 1 diabetic, does that help? I was actually afraid of posting a question right now because of this, but I want to get this situation under control. I used to be GeishaGirl (which would show a sign-up date prior to last month!) but changed it over. I know this isn't an unlimited-fat diet. This is about what I eat in a workday:

9am: Usually a small full-fat yogurt and some sausage. I've recently become addicted to the chicken curry caflouti, so I'll probably be making a good serving of that my breakfast.
    Snacks during the day: homemade trail mix, or handfuls of almonds.
    Dinner: some kind of meat and veggies.

Part of the problem is that I don't have a lot of time to eat during the day. I teach, and I have the 40 minute intervals to eat (which isn't enough for salad, because I eat slowly), but I also have the drama program after school which can take up an additional 2-8 hours, depending on the time of year. And I don't have time to eat then, either. The 9am breakfast (3rd period) and dinner are the only times I have to really sit down and EAT something that isn't on-the-run.

I start school tomorrow, and theatre hasn't begun yet, so I should be able to have my caflouti and eat something else when I get home at 3. I went fully Primal in May this year, but gave it up when I realized I was only eating around 800 calories a day. I don't want to do that this time, and I'm really asking for help.
    29 years old, type 1 diabetic with insulin resistance -- HORRIBLE a1c, and borderline cholesterol problems. Carb addict.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Okay then: your answer is almonds. You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by BareFootForward View Post
    Guys, I'm seriously not a troll. Is there any particular thing I can do to prove it?
    It'll just take some time.

All I can say in the meantime:
    brisket, ribeye

Track nutrient intake in nutritiondata.self.com for the very best info on what you ARE getting and we can go from there.

K

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'll start tracking tomorrow.

I know I've got a low post-count, but I'm a natural lurker and I'm hesitant to answer questions on something I'm not sure about -- most of my posts have been questions. I understand the natural defensiveness right now (I was really surprised going through the new posts today how many of them were trollish nonsense) and I'm hoping to make friends here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast