Thread: Recommend me some oils. page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

Recommend me some oils.

Shop Now
    I love making steak in my apartment, but I need to find some oils with a higher smoke point that are not full of shitty legumes, beans, or bad O3/O6 ratios.

I think my tasty liquid of choice is Avocado oil, but I know nothing about these brands quality wise.

Do any of you use avocado oil? If so, recommend me a brand? (Amazon would be nice since I won't be able to find it locally)

Thanks in advance!

My two choices so far:
    http://www.amazon.com/Roland-Avocado...3808943&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Tourangelle-Av...f=pd_sbs_gro_1

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    I love making steak in my apartment, but I need to find some oils with a higher smoke point that are not full of shitty legumes, beans, or bad O3/O6 ratios.
    Steak? Dry skillet, baby. Dry skillet. Salt, pepper, garlic powder. Dry heavy skillet like all clad or a cast iron skillet. Preheated.

All oils have more Ω6 than Ω3 (coconut etc). Avocado doesn't have a high enough smoke point for cooking steak.

If you must use something, consider butter

Oh! And spill on the GF! I was so happy to see your fb update yesterday

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    How about some tallow? Cillakat, i thought avocado had one of the highest smoke points, right? And I'd use clarified butter over regular since it has a higher smoke point.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Steak? Dry skillet, baby. Dry skillet. Salt, pepper, garlic powder. Dry heavy skillet like all clad or a cast iron skillet. Preheated.
    Just make sure the steak has plenty of fat in it. :-)

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post

All oils have more Ω6 than Ω3 (coconut etc). Avocado doesn't have a high enough smoke point for cooking steak.

If you must use something, consider butter

Oh! And spill on the GF! I was so happy to see your fb update yesterday
    I thought avocado oil had a smoke point of almost 500?

Anyways, I have always used oil to help distribute heat into the steak... its a staple of "steakhouse" style cooking. I've cooked them dry and with oil and have always been able to achieve a better crust when I used some kind of oil rubbed onto the meat.

I like a dry seared steak finished off in the oven, so if I can't find any good oil's to use then that's always okay with me. I might try some ghee though, since I've been looking for a reason to make it.

I forgot you peeps could stalk my facebook now, lol. We started dating a couple of weeks ago and apparently things are serious now because I just spent labor day weekend in the mountains with her and her family. It's awesome because even though they are not paleo/primal, they are extremely health oriented and every single meal consisted of a protein and vegetables. They had no issues with my lifestyle and my girlfriend even came outside and asked me to put her through a crossfit WoD.

Basically, everything is pretty awesome right now.

edit:
    I just wanna point out the only reason I am looking for a suitable high heat oil is because in the restaurant we used peanut oil or safflower oil which I definitely don't want in my body anymore. I have been lazy and not made ghee, so that is probably the next logical step here.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    I thought avocado oil had a smoke point of almost 500?
    Does it? it's been awhile since I investigated but years ago I remember thinking 'yeah, that's not gonna work for cooking'.

I've messed around with butter (yum) and coconut oil (meh on the steak) and I can't use bacon grease as we keep kosher at home.

ooh! what about bacon grease or tallow?

I just *love* my dry seared ribeye. *love* love love.

and *awww*. I'm so happy for you Rivvs wrt your personal life.. All good things to you....

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    I use pasture butter on my grass fed steaks. The fattier the steak, the less butter, of course! Then just pepper and salt.

strom is offline Senior Member

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I thought avocado oil had a high smoke point. the oil I can get here in NZ is ok for coooking with. I have also been using macadamia oil. But I usually cook with olive oil most of the time, not so keeno on the avo for cooking with.