Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just starting out. page

travratc is offline Junior Member

Just starting out.

Primal Fuel
    Hey! Decided I would give this a go and that I would start planning how to go about it before I head back to college.

I was wondering how I should go about planning my meals. I have read frequently here and on other websites that a lot of primal eaters fast and just have one big meal in the evening. Is this completely the norm or do many of you eat regular a regular three meals a day?

What my game plan is thus far is that I will eat an early breakfast of either eggs, bacon, or sausage with some fruit to accompany it. Starting off the day with lots of water of course.

Then I would pack a lunch of some fruits, veggies, and unsalted raw nuts such as almonds walnuts etc for lunch. Maybe shake it up every now and then with some berries.

Then for dinner a heavily meat oriented meal with leafy greens and root vegetables such as carrots, turnips, and similar things (avoiding potatoes and beans of course.)

Does this sound like an appropriate meal plan that aligns with the goals of the primal diet?

Thank you and please excuse my ignorance of the ins and outs of all this, still learning about nutrition in general in addition to the specifics of this lifestyle.

My sincere thanks for your help.
    -Travis.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    welcome;-) i typically eat 2 large meals a day. why all the water in the morning? drink when you're thirsty man. your 'game plan' looks alright but make sure you get plenty of fat in there somewhere. good luck travis!
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Thank you! I've read that as we eat more and more protein we need to stay more hydrated to process all that protein. With my school schedule as hectic as it is from about 7am till 5pm I just figured I should get well and hydrated before my classes start.

As for the fat - what sources would you recommend? I had imagined that the meat I would be eating would contain good sources of fat.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    coconut oil(my absolute fav.), butter (if you're into dairy), lard, tallow, etc. you'll find that the fat keeps you satisfied so you won't have to snack as much
    ;-)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Looking at your plan, I'd say get some protein in at lunch (meat/fish) and just watch out about overdoing the fruit. And yes, get lots of fat - meat, olive oil, butter, nuts etc. When I first started I seriously underestimated the amount of fat I should have been eating to replace all the junk carbs I'd cut out, and I think that made my adjustment period a lot longer and nastier than it could have been. But anyway good luck, use the forum as it's brilliant, and don't give up!

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I think it looks like a pretty solid plan Give it a whirl, and you'll probably tune it in according to your needs and prefferences. I usually do two meals a day, at around noon and then 6-7 hours later, but I do it for the simplicity of cooking twice a day vs 3 times a day hehe.

Thank you everyone for your advice. It seems the basis of the primal lifestyle is teaching my body to burn fat rather then sugar, which is why I need to be careful about the fruit, because it contains quite a bit of sugar if eaten in large quantities and why I need to eat so much natural fat.

You mention that butter is okay. This surprises me a little bit as I would assume all dairy is "non-primal." Is just butter allowed or are other sources of dairy such as milk allowed?

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I personally ate fruit during my transition and still do now. If you have a lotof weight to lose it is benificial to limit fruit, but otherwise it should be okay: Try and play with it and see how you feel.
    Butter is okay because most of the sugar and the proteins have been removed, and these are usually whats problematic with dairy. Heavy whipping cream same deal. I would probably limit the remaining dairy as an ocassional thing or being garnish in a recipe perhaps, but dairy is really subjective so the best thing to do is probably playing around with it. Once your diet is stable, try removing dairy for a week to a month and see how you look/feel and then try reintroducing to see how you respond. Joint issues and acne can be signs of inflammation where removing dairy can help.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by travratc View Post
    Thank you! I've read that as we eat more and more protein we need to stay more hydrated to process all that protein.
    Ohhhh the red flags are a wavin'.

Big time.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    word.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast