Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Working for Me page

Adrianne is offline Senior Member

Not Working for Me

The Primal Blueprint is not working for me. I'm not sure why I feel compelled to make a post telling everyone; except maybe because I wanted to like it so badly.

My background is that I started out at 230 lbs as a 5'4" female in 2007. I lost 100 lbs by the end of that year and have maintained it ever since. I lost weight by exercising a LOT and controlling my portions. I didn't eat much in the way of packaged food but I still ate oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat tortillas, sprouted bread, and lots of fruit and veggies. I have the occasional granola bar or ice cream with candy mixed in.

I would look forward to my morning 3-7 mile run or hour long weight lifting session. I can't seem to run anymore on PB; my energy is in the toilet. Plus, I now suffer horrible insomnia - I have never been an insomniac before. Also, I have gained 10 lbs. I think that is more the result of the cessation of running than it is a result of PB.

I wanted Primal Blueprint to work because of the lure of being able to eat 'unlimited' calories as long as I stuck to the plan. To be honest, I got sick of measuring, weighing, and nickel and diming every bit of food I put in my mouth.

So I've been PB for about a month and all I can think about is having a granola bar or a smidge of ice cream. I can hear you all saying, "Make that part of your 20% then!" Okay, so I guess I have to rationalize my food against a set of rules in addition to weighing it.

As it turns out, when I sit down to eat, the last thing I want to eat is organ meat or bone marrow or mayonnaise made out of fricking beef fat, for Christ's sake. So the idea of being able to eat unlimited calories is moot if I'm not enjoying the food. When I go to a steakhouse I actually look forward to the bread, not the steak. I like meat, sure, but just not that much. This is clearly not a way of life for me.

Congratulations to the people who can do this way of eating - I just can't. I know that I'm coming off as harsh but I really don't mean anything negative toward anyone in particular, I am just extremely frustrated with this diet.

Donk is offline Banned
    Your not going all Dr McDougall on us Adrianne are you !! Sounds like youve been 'grainwashed' by the dark side!!

Come back towards the light! High fat is right!

shannon is offline Senior Member
    then don't do it. it's pretty simple, if it doesn't work for you then do something else. it's only been a month though and i know for me it took awhile to completely get used to eating all the fat and meat and... droooool, sorry where was i? i'm a meat lover, always have been always will be (even when i was vegan) so my answer may not really count. good luck to you whatever you choose;-)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I wanted Primal Blueprint to work because of the lure of being able to eat 'unlimited' calories as long as I stuck to the plan. To be honest, I got sick of measuring, weighing, and nickel and diming every bit of food I put in my mouth.
    Your history sounds a lot like mine. I started out at 250 lbs and dropped down to 175 by counting calories and running 6-7 miles daily. Then I found MDA and went Primal. I lost another 50 lbs by cutting out my whole grains and most dairy. I think the thing is, you can't eat "unlimited" calories, I don't care what anybody says.

Keep track of your calories. You don't have to measure, weigh and track every single gram, but a good estimate will help. I still do measure and weigh occasionally just to make sure I'm not being to generous with portions. I guess-timate a lot, but I still have a ballpark figure in my head about how many calories I'm eating. I've just recently gone back to using Fitday because I want to be more strict with myself and start losing again.

You don't have to eat fat-laden foods if you don't want to. I think it's more about not being afraid of the fat in your food. If your steak has some fat on it, you don't have to cut it off. Enjoy healthy fatty foods when they appeal to you. I think the bigger point of PB is to not be fat-phobic.

Try tracking your calories for a while, even loosely, until you get the hang of eyeballing it. You do still need to have a calorie deficit. Some here will argue that, but I can tell you from experience that unlimited calories absolutely doesn't work for everyone. And no, you don't have to eat high fat. It just sort of turns out that way for some of us sometimes, and even on "normal" days for us, it would be a "fattening" day for most CW folks.

That's just my 2 cents. If you want to quit PB you can. Nobody's saying you have to do it. I would encourage you to give it another shot, and maybe go higher protein, moderate fat and moderate to low carb and see how you do.

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member
    It's natural that you would gain weight from stopping your running. Running is a catabolic activity and it lowered your metabolism. Weird isn't it? That running would lower your metabolism, but it does. Why? Because your body feels that it is under duress and must hold onto the calories. So if you ate the same calories after you stopped running it is a double whammy. Lowered metabolism + no calories lost by running. I wish you well in the future, but you should know that it is simple sugars, refined carbs and polyunsaturated oils that cause obesity and the diseases of civilization. You don't have to go zero or low carb to be PB healthy, you just have to cut those things out. Add starches in if you need the energy and the thyroid improvement. After being high carb for many years, you cannot expect that dramatic a shift to happen in 1 month.

I personally don't believe PB is a miracle weight loss program. Deprivation diets are miracle weight loss programs but they don't have long term success rates. Fasting is a miracle weight loss solution but you have to eat sometime. This is a program designed to not just keep you safe from the diseases of civilization but also to get your hormones working again so you don't escape your weight set point again by becoming insulin and leptin resistant. If you get those under control, you will get back down to your normal set point. Be careful about eating the things that made you overweight in the first place.
    Last edited by BlazeKING; 09-05-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I think the thing is, you can't eat "unlimited" calories, I don't care what anybody says.
    Thank you for this; I think I needed to hear it from someone outside myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeKING View Post
    After being high carb for many years, you cannot expect that dramatic a shift to happen in 1 month.
    Well I'll grant that. But I also didn't expect to feel this rotten in the transition. I told my husband 2 days ago that I truly would prefer not to be alive that day. I never have thoughts like that. Over FOOD. Not even when I first had to basically cut my calories in half to lose weight. It has been such a dramatic change in mood/outlook/exercise.

cemdev is offline Senior Member
    sugar withdrawal symptoms maybe? anyways, i would personally give it a couple of more weeks. if you still feel like crap, then go eat something else. also, maybe track what you're eating on fitday for a week or so and post it on here - maybe you're eating funky.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    It is VERY common to have carb flu. Many people complain of being low energy, etc. for a while.

You may be the type of person that needs more carbs, especially if you would like to run. Just get them from non-grain sources.

And when you go to the steak house, eat the gosh darn roll. It will surely be less that 20% of your meal

syzchan is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post
    It is VERY common to have carb flu. Many people complain of being low energy, etc. for a while.

You may be the type of person that needs more carbs, especially if you would like to run. Just get them from non-grain sources.

And when you go to the steak house, eat the gosh darn roll. It will surely be less that 20% of your meal
    Or even better (to avoid grains) get the baked potato with butter, sour cream and bacon!

I feel ya. I was like that before I saw the PB light. Too much cardio and weighing out exact portions for my 6-meals routine. Hated it and hated how I felt doing it. Now on PB, even having done a month of restricting calories to try to lean out a bit, I'm a little low energy/hungry at times, but otherwise feel fine. In fact, after I get over that little hunger hump, I feel great. Can even pound out a good workout on an empty stomach occasionally. But at the same time, the cutting calories is only because of my desire to get to a certain body fat level. I'm doing PB for health. I'm still shocked from realizing how strong and healthy looking my nails are a few weeks ago. Not to mention my skin and overall mood.

I agree with DR, you can't eat ad lib and not gain weight. At least not now because you're only 1 month in and you body's still transitioning the change and also still recovering from the CW damage. You need to give your body time to get to the point where it can self-regulate appetite and weight. Also, are you also taking supplements? Low potassium and magnesium may be causing your fatigue. And taking the magnesium at night may help with your sleep.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast