Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not Working for Me page 2

markz is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Give yourself at least eight weeks. You are going through the carb flu now, this is normal. Also, don't run....sprint instead. Stop looking at the scale, body composition is all that matters.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Honestly there is basically no such thing as a paleo diet not working. You may need to tinker with various things (can't really comment more on this without detailed diet/exercise information), but you may also just still be suffering from carb withdrawels. The important thing to note is that there is just NO way that reintroducing grains and legumes is going to improve your health beyond satisfying your current cravings. Grains have low nutritional value and are very potent GI irritants, and both studies and empirical data shows that everyone is better off removing them from their diet.
    If you still decide to reintroduce them, then none of us here can really do much more than wish you luck.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

You might as well face it you're addicted to carbs...

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianne View Post
    The Primal Blueprint is not working for me. I'm not sure why I feel compelled to make a post telling everyone; except maybe because I wanted to like it so badly.

My background is I started out at 230 lbs as a 5'4" female in 2007. I lost 100 lbs by the end of that year and have maintained it ever since. I lost weight by exercising a LOT and controlling my portions. I didn't eat much in the way of packaged food but I still ate oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat tortillas, sprouted bread, and lots of fruit and veggies. I have the occasional granola bar or ice cream with candy mixed in.
    I'm going to be harsh here. You're a full-blown carb addict - and you've got it BAD, sister! This is also going to come across as grumpy because I've just gone my 8th consecutive night without a wink of sleep. It's 'failed' because you WANTED it to fail. You were eating the SWD (that's standard WESTERN diet).
    I would look forward to my morning 3-7 mile run or hour long weight lifting session. I can't seem to run anymore on PB; my energy is in the toilet.

Yes of COURSE it is - classic carb withdrawal symptom! You have no energy because you're not giving your body what it craves (note I said CRAVES, not NEEDS). Of COURSE withdrawal's going to be hard - if you expected this to be a cakewalk, then welcome to reality!
    It's much the same as the irritability experienced by a smoker as part of nicotine withdrawal, or the shakes experienced by an alcoholic when they're detoxing.

Plus, I now suffer horrible insomnia - I have never been an insomniac before.
    I, too, suffer from insomnia - nothing to do with PB I was suffering with it for months before I began PB.
    Also, I have gained 10 lbs. I think that is more the result of the cessation of running than it is a result of PB.
    All part of the carb detox.
    I wanted Primal Blueprint to work because of the lure of being able to eat 'unlimited' calories as long as I stuck to the plan. To be honest, I got sick of measuring, weighing, and nickel and diming every bit of food I put in my mouth.
    "Measuring, weighing and, to use your phrase "nickel and diming" have no place in PB; are you really so ignorant as to believe our ancient ancestors had scales - or MONEY?! I don't mean to be unkind, but you don't have the first clue as to what this isabout, do you...? Have you actually READ the book? I've no doubt you've bought it and skimmed through it, but have you actually sat down and READ it?
    I think I can say NO ONE here weighs anything. The golden rule is simple:- you eat when you're GENUINELY hungry, and stop when you're satiated (NOT stuffed). Some here practice IF (Intermittent Fasting) which Mark advocates. This means they fast from anything between 18 hours (with a 6-hour window for food) and, well, I don't know about here, but I've known folk on other forums who go for as much as 48 hours.
    So I've been PB for about a month and all I can think about is having a granola bar or a smidge of ice cream. I can hear you all saying, "Make that part of your 20% then!"
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]
    I don't think you can; I can't speak for everyone, of course, but you certainly won't catch ME saying that. Grains and sugar have NO PLACE in a primal diet. The whole point of PB (which you don't appear to understand) is you ELIMINATE CARBS COMPLETELY (okay, I'll rephrase that: - you eliminate NON PRIMAL CARBS COMPLETELY!) Not 20%, not 10%, not 5%, not 2%, not even 0.000002% of the time. You have misunderstood; you don't CONSCIOUSLY aim to stick it to it only 80% of the time. You AIM to stick to it 100% of the time, but allow for the fact you're human and you're going to fall off the wagon now and then. The way you're looking at it, it seems to me, is in the context of "Oh I've stuck to the Plan (to use your word) all week - now it's the weekend - LET'S GO CARB CRAZY!!" This isn't a 'plan' - it's a way of eating. This isn't Weight Watchers, or Slimming World, where you can treat yourself with Points and Syns, this is a completely new Way of Life. This is FOR LIFE! If you’re so addicted to carbs ayou cannot POSSIBLY imagine life without them this isn't for you. I quit both - cold turkey. Sure I had withdrawal symptoms but I know now grains and sugar were responsible for my ill-health and I'm NEVER going back to eating them again. EVER! 1 little slip up, with 2 oatcakes, made me so ill, they're gone from my life for good.
    I'm no saint; yesterday I went into my friend's chocolate and ice-cream shop and she offered me a sample of her new Champagne and Rose truffles (actually made by her son). I took 2. They were delicious but that was it; a little treat. Mark advocates dark chocolate as a treat, okay not dark choc with champers in, but there you go. I didn't suddenly want to consume everything in the shop – why? Because I’ve trained myself NOT to want it!
    It's not the DIET that has failed, the failure is YOU! You're projecting that failure onto the diet because you don't want to face up to the harsh reality. You NEVER wanted this diet to work in the first place; you weren't prepared to give it 100%, so no wonder you're now throwing up your hands - and throwing in the towel.
    I don't claim to understand it (just see some of my posts here) but I am fully committed to sticking to it to the best of my ability. [COLOR]

Okay, so I guess I have to rationalize my food against a set of rules in addition to weighing it.
    Eh? Wrong on both counts. You REALLY DON'T get this, do you...? What rules? There is only one rule "What would Grok do/eat...?" Would Grok eat a Domino's Mightily Meaty? Of course not! Would Grok eat a hunk of cow and some plants? Of course he would! I don't see what so difficult about that...
    I don't understand why you're so obsessed with WEIGHING everything! I'll say it again: - WEIGHING IS NOT PRIMAL!! I don't think kitchen scales (or kitchens for that matter) existed 2 million years ago (or do you believe The Flintstones to be a reality TV show...?)

As it turns out, when I sit down to eat, the last thing I want to eat is organ meat or bone marrow or mayonnaise made out of fricking beef fat, for Christ's sake.

Eh? I've read the book from cover to cover several times; I must have missed the bit where you're told to eat offal and bones. I'll have to check up on that when I go back upstairs. NO WONDER I feel so crappy at the moment - I'm not eating enough bones! Silly Me! Mayo made from beef fat ...? You're insane! I have a recipe for mayonnaise right here: - 2 ingredients egg yolks and EV olive oil. Nope, no lard. Where are you getting these ridiculous notions from...?

So the idea of being able to eat unlimited calories is moot if I'm not enjoying the food. When I go to a steakhouse I actually look forward to the bread, not the steak. I like meat, sure, but just not that much. This is clearly not a way of life for me.
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]No you're not able to eat unlimited calories - you're just changing where those calories come from. Let me give you an example. There are 35g of pure sugar in a can of regular Coke (or 10.6g per 100ml). There's 2.6g of sugar in 100ml of double (heavy) cream. So, in order to consume the same amount of sugar as in the Coke, you'd need to drink 1.35 LITRES of cream! Coke pure carbs, quick insulin rush, slump. Cream 50% fat, zero effect on blood sugar, no insulin release, no high and therefore, no crashing low, either.
    PB is all about QUALITY over QUANTITY. Okay, so take your granola bar. I don't know what brands you have in the US, but a popular one over here is Nature Valley. There are 200kcals in a standard (42g/1.5oz) bar. Most of that is sugar that will give you a quick fix, then cause your blood glucose to slump again, so you're off looking for your next fix.
    There are 200kcals in 125g (5oz) of fillet steak - which contains NO CARBS, 35g protein and 2g of fat per 100g. This is why you believe you can eat unlimited calories (you can't by the way). I can eat steak in the morning and eat very little for the rest of the day - it satiates me so much - even more so if I cook it in a cream sauce. Fat is the most satiating of the macronutrients. For breakfast this morning, I had berries, crème fraiche and heavy cream. That was at 4am. All I've had since then is a piece of Nicorette.
    [COLOR]

Congratulations to the people who can do this way of eating - I just can't. I know that I'm coming off as harsh but I really don't mean anything negative toward anyone in particular, I am just extremely frustrated with this diet.

You're frustrated with yourself for being too weak willed to quit the carbs but you're in denial so you're blaming the diet rather than holding your hands up and admitting it. You don't have the tenacity, or strength of character, to quit the carbs, so you're quitting the diet. Your choice, obviously - but you're the one who's gonna suffer for it at the end of the day. You want to be a slave to your blood sugar and insulin forever that is, of course, up to you. I have PCOS; I know how bad my symptoms are if I don't low carb.
    Typing here so this will actually post.
    La tristesse durera toujours...

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    @shrinking_violet- Right On. albeit harsh at times, spot on for everything.

Why the Need to run so much? Really? I am a former Half Marathon Runner, and I've never been happier NOT having to log the miles and deal with all the carb cravings. SLOW DOWN. You don't need to punish your body daily to see results. I have seen more results body compostition wise in the last 3 1/2 months primal than in 2 years of 6 days a week strength training and running. Lost another pant size too. I eat once, sometimes three times a day, don't think about it really, don't obsess over my missed pasta and oatmeal. I eat sweet potatoes when I want to run, a real food with real benefits. I don't fart obnoxiously anymore. I don't stink up every room in the house because of all my healthy grains either. and for what it's worth, I have NEVER ate beef marrow or other things that sound disgusting to me either. The money that I spent on supplements and other BS that did nothing for me but make me poorer instead of skinnier, I NOW spend on local grassfed beef, pastured pork and Chicken. sounds to me like you want to be validated for bailing, instead of embracing this. It had never felt like a struggle for me, Strange to embrace it all at first, and horrid carb flu, but man I will tell you that I could NEVER go back. I don't see a reason to. Running ain't all that. if the end reason/result is to be thinner and look better in your clothes, wouldn't you rather do it with a little less effort with greater result? Food for thought.

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianne View Post
    As it turns out, when I sit down to eat, the last thing I want to eat is organ meat or bone marrow or mayonnaise made out of fricking beef fat, for Christ's sake. So the idea of being able to eat unlimited calories is moot if I'm not enjoying the food. When I go to a steakhouse I actually look forward to the bread, not the steak. I like meat, sure, but just not that much. This is clearly not a way of life for me.
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/but-i-like-my

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    'It’s not that effing hard. (Yes, I wanted to throw an f-bomb in there.) Don’t you dare tell me this is hard. Giving up heroin is hard. Drinking your coffee black is. Not. Hard. Substituting Sunday morning French toast in favor of a giant omelet and side of crispy bacon is not hard. Eating fresh, delicious fruits and vegetables every day is not hard [...] and it’s for the most important cause on earth – the only physical body you will ever have in this lifetime. So shut up and do it.'
    -Melissa Urban

shannon is offline Senior Member
    right on primal fist!!!
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member

Sherissima is offline Member
    PB as a weight loss diet seems to be much easier for men than women, based on my experience and many posts here. However, I follow it primarily to improve my health - although, I would like to lose another 20 lbs or so. I think it will happen, as my body gets healthier and functions more optimally.

If you can't hack PB, then no-one is forcing you to suffer. I genuinely believe that some people function better on more carbs than others. However, sugars (other than those present in seasonal fruit and veg) are highly toxic, grains possibly even more so (not only do the starches turn to sugars, but the proteins and lectins can irritate the GI system badly). Leaving us with tubers, nuts and seeds to raise carb levels.

When I started PB (after a many-times-lapsed low carb way of eating), I went cold turkey on sugars, grains and dairy for a month. After only 2-3 days, I was AMAZED at not craving bread, pastries, pasta and other floury "goodies" that I used to adore. It made me realise that it wasn't my body craving that "food", it was the sugar monster inside me.

I'm far from being a perfect PB-er, though. I'm not terribly fit and am working on improving that. But, re-reading the Primal Blueprint Laws, I haven't found better guidelines on how to improve my health, fitness and wellbeing. I wish you best of luck, whatever path you choose!

shannon is offline Senior Member
    you could always join durianrider, he's lookin' for a few good people;-)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast