Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is raw meat more primal than cooked meat? page 2

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    troll alert, i believe.
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk View Post
    Grok ate more raw meat.....
    Ask here:
    http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/?PHPSES...6d7230b97ea637
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    Tomorrow night, Tuesday, 7 SEP, on PBS there is a show called something like "Becoming Human". I have a feeling that it will be full of some good information about what the primal or proto man ate that caused the increase in intelligence. I plan to use the TV that night. Perhaps the question about raw or cooked food will be answered.
    It was really good and did mention cooking but it wasn't a big section. For anyone interested it is on youtube permanently. http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...A395506823CCBC
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

jarnapal is offline Member
    I eat my eggs raw as I don't feel good with cooked eggs. I eat my beef raw as it just tastes better this way and has more fats when compared to cooked beef. Actually I just ate raw beef pieces with 3 raw egg yolks mixed with garlic/parsley. Freakish good !

But about the topic, there is truth in heated fats and there is truth in cooked food. Although if anyone has tried to eat raw meat from the bone knows that getting it off the bone is quite hard. Grok would have got much more food from the bone when he cooked it.
    Last edited by jarnapal; 09-06-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Grok ate more raw meat than cooked meat judging by anthropological studies.
    Which ones are you judging from?

What have forum members experiences been with consuming meat raw? Raw eggs, dairy etc?
    I don't care a lot for steak tartare, although I like my steaks very rare. Raw egg yolks don't seem that different from the yolks of lightly cooked fried eggs to me. Raw dairy I like - it's usually tastier, IMO.

Does anyone here go hunting regularly?
    No, and actually I've never done it. Our previous government banned it: they said it was cruel to the foxes or something. There's increasing sentimentality over here, but probably that was just an excuse, and it was actually a sop to the far left, which sees hunting as a socially-privileged activity. It still goes on, but I think they're not supposed to actually make kills; OTOH, I expect the police have better things to do than to check on the hunt.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Don't you hate it when you crunch a squirrel's rib between your teeth when you bite into its flesh? Sends shivers down my spine. Blah.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    ... but liver is a bit hard to wrap my brain around. Maybe I'll snag a bit before I make stew. I'll admit, I'm nervous- lol.
    You can get parasites in it. It's happened to the odd holidaymaker offered raw liver in the Middle East after attending a tribal slaughter as a spectacle and accepting some. I tend to eat some liver every week or two, but I confess I've never had it raw.

AFAICT, liver seems often to have been eaten raw by tribespeople, even though they might usually have cooked other cuts. Some still do that - the Tuvans in Siberia, for example, as Bear Grylls demonstrates here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaYoYM8_rYY

FWIW, I'd sooner chance that of a wild Siberian yak than that of a Middle Eastern goat. But according to Nourishing Traditions the U.S. food safety people say that if you freeze raw liver for 14 days, that's enough to kill any parasites.

I think the liver concentrates you get are raw - what bodybuilders use, and what that damn fool Shaw had to eat when recovering from deficiency-disease caused by vegetarianism. Always on the foolish or wrong side of every question of the day Shaw - although his music criticism is apparently of a very high quality, most of the rest of his writings is worth the dust it's now gathering.

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    Yeah Ive read that book recently but I was thinking that humans are the only creatures that cook their food and do other animals do?

These are the points Id like to debate.

*Heating destroys protein chains

*Heating makes fats rancid

*Heating destroys vitamin b12

So what to people do about this? Do people take a b12 supp?
    *Egg protein is more available cooked.

*Antioxidants protect fats from going rancid. Saturated and monousaturated fats are quite stable so can handle some heat.

*Raw egg yolk and any rare/med rare meat will give you B12.

So what do you do to get your B12? Eat your feces like gorillas or supplement?

P.S. Give cooked food to an animal and I bet they would eat it. They still recognise it as food. Cooking helped us become what we are today and so did meat, you can't really argue with that.
    Last edited by muaythaimike; 09-06-2010 at 02:53 PM.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

cabeman is offline Member
    done
    Last edited by cabeman; 09-12-2010 at 12:13 AM.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Cabeman; Glad to see you found a computer. Haven't seen you around for awhile. Are you back in town?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12