Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear meat looks good to me. page

slacker is offline Senior Member

Cool Bear meat looks good to me.

Shop Now
    This is from a feature on exotic meats from "www.cookingissues.com". It includes lion, beaver, whole raccoon, and bear.

Donk is offline Banned
    No bears down here in Australia but I have an aboriginal friend that hunts koalas and kangaroos for me. Its not as tasty as grass fed cow but its sure way more primal.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I don't know where I got this idea from but I thought the meat of a carnivore is less healthy for human consumption than that of a herbivore.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I don't know where I got this idea from but I thought the meat of a carnivore is less healthy for human consumption than that of a herbivore.
    I always heard that it just doesn't taste as good... that said, lion is the only carnivore on that list.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure what old tv show I saw this on... but at one time bear meat had all sorts of nasties like trichinosis that we're not used to worrying about.

Emergency! ?
    Marcus Welby?
    That MASH Trapper John spinoff?

God only knows.

But I'd be ordering mine "well done" nonetheless.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    I've never been offered bear and can't imagine that's likely to change. I am surrounded by vegans and animal rights types, anyhow.

I did try beef marrow bones for the first time tonight, though. Somehow they had a too slimey texture for me. But, I suppose it is all cultural. I'd probably have a hard time choking down oysters if I hadn't been given them at a rather young age.

tbow is offline Member
    IIRC, the meat from an omnivore, like bear, is going to be greasier and a bit stringy than other meats. That said, I always looked forward to making tamales or barbacoa if I ever got one. (I wonder if almond meal would make a reasonable tamale paste? Hmm...)
    ~ Loving the good life, built the way we want it. ~

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk View Post
    No bears down here in Australia but I have an aboriginal friend that hunts koalas and kangaroos for me. Its not as tasty as grass fed cow but its sure way more primal.

Ignore the vegan raw foodist troll (Donk and Durianrider)

Don't let them suck up your time guys. Add them to your ignore list and move along.

Add to ignore by clicking on their names in any of their posts. On the profile page, one of the options (along with pm or send email) is IGNORE THIS USER.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

periquin is offline Senior Member
    About 30 years ago six of us went into the woods in Pennsylvania up near the New York border, near a town called Liberty. We went in light. No great luck getting food for three days then one guy scored a black bear. We started wolfing it down that evening. Tasted great when we were really hungry. Stopped tasting so good after we had a bit in the belly.

Grumpy Caveman Re: carnivores not being good for food. The bible doesn't permit consumption of carnivores. The test is split hoof and chewing the cud. Only herbivores do that. Any reason for the ban? Must be but I have no idea. Maybe you heard the carnivore- bad, herbivore- good thing from some bible story.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    In terms of herbivores being better to eat than carnivores:

I've heard something similar, and the rationale was based on environmental toxins that accumulate in adipose tissue. So, instead of containing toxins accumulated over one lifetime (like a herbivore), the flesh of the carnivore would contain the environmental toxins of every herbivore it ate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast