Thread: Ham Bone soup recipe? page

visionteacher is offline Member

Ham Bone soup recipe?

Primal Fuel
    Hey there, got a nice ham bone that I'd like to do something with. Looking for suggestions, pretty much everything I'm seeing online has beans and such in it. Also have plenty of ham we can put in it too. Thanks!

~Mickey

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Sorry it took me a couple days to find this thread. Don't know if you still have your ham bone but here's a recipe that I like. This soup is excellent and it really does taste a lot like split pea soup.
    Based on a recipe from genaw.com (Linda’s Low Carb Recipes)

PRIMAL "SPLIT PEA" SOUP

1 ham bone with meat on it
    8 cups water
    16 ounces frozen cauliflower
    16 ounces frozen green beans
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    Onion, carrot and celery*

Put the ham bone in a large soup pot. Add the water; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until the meat is starting to fall off the bones, about an hour. Remove the ham bone from the broth and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, add the cauliflower and green beans to the broth in the pot. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer until the vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes. Puree the soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Remove the meat from the bones, cut into bite-size pieces and add to the soup. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste.

* In a medium skillet, sauté in butter until very tender:
    1 small onion, diced
    1 large carrot, diced
    1 stalk celery (with leaves), diced

Add to the finished soup before adjusting the seasoning. Cook until heated through. You could also add the raw vegetables to the pot along with the cauliflower and green beans and puree everything together. I like to put some in with the mix to be pureed and then have some onion/carrot/celery pieces in the soup.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I bet it would be REALLY good in a zucchini soup. I know most places are just past zucchini season so I have terrible timing with this suggestion. =]
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

visionteacher is offline Member
    That soup does sound tasty. Think it would be ok not pureed? I do not have an "immersion blender" and had no idea such a thing even existed... Or is that the thing that I used to mash potatos with?? Can you tell I'm not a very out of the box cook?? :-P

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    immersion blender is just one of those hand held things, look like a mini boat propeller. I think Krupps makes them for about $20. I've never made that before, I just thought of a way to modify it. You could start with a head of caulliflower and then make cauliflower rice with it (a different attachment to an immersion blender would allow this) and then add that to the soup. I don't like cauliflower in big chunks but in rice format, it is a lot more palatable, might even break apart while cooking and just add some thickness to the soup.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by visionteacher View Post
    That soup does sound tasty. Think it would be ok not pureed? I do not have an "immersion blender" and had no idea such a thing even existed... Or is that the thing that I used to mash potatos with?? Can you tell I'm not a very out of the box cook?? :-P
    The soup could be eaten without the cauliflower and green beans being pureed. Personally, I don't really like cauliflower floating around in soup but when it's pureed it seems to take on a different flavor and serves to thicken the soup.

Do you have a regular blender? Before I had an immersion blender, I used a regular blender by scooping out the veg with a slotted spoon and blending it in the blender in batches. Slower but the results were the same. A food processor works too but I always found them a pain to set up and clean.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    immersion blender is just one of those hand held things, look like a mini boat propeller.
    It does look like a boat propeller! That is a great description.

warrdogg is offline Member
    I made this yesterday and have to say it sure satisfied my cravings for pea soup. I made some slight changes to the recipe.

I used 2 bay leaves and a few sprigs of fresh thyme when boiling the ham bone (I took them out of course when I blended the soup). I also threw in the onions, carrots, and celery to boil at the start.

Thanks for posting it. It would be a shame to not use that beautiful ham bone.