Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breast cancer nutrition page

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member

Breast cancer nutrition

Shop Now
    I'm sorry that I have to even ask about this. My doctor has been pushing me to get breast thermography imaging done for awhile now due to a family history of breast cancer (mom died when she was 36). I finally did a week ago. I just received the results in the mail (and my doc did too, but since it's the weekend, I won't hear from her until next week).

Sad to say the results for the left breast were abnormal (TH-4). The scale is from 1 to 5; a 4 is not good and usually indicative of malignancy. So I have to have some further testing done (mammogram, MRI, ultrasound, etc...not sure until I talk to my doc). It may show up as abnormal (cancer) now; or the thermography may just be showing preliminary vascular changes. The amazing thing is how different the two breasts look. My left breast also feels different in certain areas, so I will see what future images reveal.

I am only 31; this is just too much.

Anyway, I would like to know if there's any changes I should be making in my diet. More green/cruciferous veggies? I am doing pretty well with food now.I eat about 80 g carbs per day, mostly fruit. Should I cut back on that more? Any supplement advice? Cut out dairy? I eat cheese, butter, and yogurt, occasionally a glass of raw milk.

Any advice/opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shannon

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    I also wanted to mention how most cancer healing (alternative) diets advocate gluten-free grains, legumes, fruit, and veg along with fish. They are really down on the other animal foods. I feel like my head is spinning. My husband keeps saying that I should wait to make changes until after my mammogram or MRI; but there's obviously changes occuring in my body now...and they are not good changes. So I need to do something. I'm scared to leave my baby like my mom left me.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Shannon,
    I am not really qualified to give to any advice----just wanted to give you a big hug.
    *HUG*

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    Shannon you have to be positive, because your mindset and emotions can affect your health.

Eat clean, exercise, relax and be optimistic (optimism can solve any problem) and keep researching there is a lot of good info out there.

YOU WILL BE FINE!!!

All the best.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    (((( HUGS GIRL ))))

Eat Whole, Eat well. Be positive.

EwaB is offline Junior Member
    Shannon, I was diagnosed with bc a few weeks ago (will have lumpectomy this week) and been wondering the same thing. Among many other books I got the latest editions of Christiane Northrup's Wisdom of Menopause and Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom. She is reversing or maybe updating her nutritional advice for bc stating that there is more and more evidence that it is not red meat that is suspect but probably carbs that people eat with it. In your research you will find volumes of conventional wisdom based on not very sound research. It is all very confusing and frustrating. In trying to sort all this out I keep asking myself if the advice I am reading is in synch with what Nature intended; I think, and it is more of a gut feeling than research, that plenty of plant foods, fish and meat, all organic is the way to go.
    Last year we eliminated all plastic containers from our house, trashed teflon coated pots and pans. I stopped using sunscreens in favor of very thin light color long sleeve shirts if I am out in the sun for hours (hiking and such). Gone are most of the cosmetics - replaced by coconut oil, shea nut butter and such. Maybe I am overdoing it but right now I am scared and totally pissed at companies for not testing the stuff they are telling us to eat, put on our skins, breathe or drink.
    I am told my cancer was caught early and is highly curable. I don't want to take any chances. Will all I am doing prevent it from coming back? I don't know but I am trying to lower the odds. And I am sorry to disagree with your hubby. Even if what you have is nothing, making healthy changes now will help you stay healthy and cancer free, especially considering your family history.
    Big hugs to you. This is a very difficult time, trust me, I know.
    Last edited by EwaB; 09-05-2010 at 05:45 AM.

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    i think it's a good idea to look at elimination of inflammitory foods and focus on gut health.
    i've been vegetarian, macrobiotic (which i taught), vegan, raw. i did not see ca cures among any of these groups so don't go there.
    check out the various paleo sites including coolinginflamation.

probably your best bet is to eat nutrient dense paleo foods. this would include the obvious as well as grass fed butter/meat and organic as much as possible.
    as far as dairy is concerned, raw is better and according to research i read (somewhere), the proteins in yogurt encapsulate the bacteria protecting it as it moves through the acidic stomach.....just food for thought as you make these decisions.

i hope this conversation is all for naught.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    (((HUGS)))

I've read ketogenic diets can be helpful in the treatment of cancer.

You may find the following links of interest:

A Holistic Approach to Cancer
    http://www.westonaprice.org/modern-d...to-cancer.html

Can a High Fat Diet Beat Cancer?
    http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...662484,00.html

Article w/ links to other articles & studies on ketogenic diets and cancer
    http://www.newtreatments.org/cancer

Ketogenic diet to treat cancer (w/ links to more blogposts)
    http://conditioningresearch.blogspot...at-cancer.html

Cancer Is Anaerobic (lots of links--some to studies and articles)
    http://www.oxygentimerelease.com/A/Disorders/p11.htm

Good luck w/ everything!!! Please keep us posted on how you are doing! I'm thinking of you and your kiddo!!! (((HUGS)))

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Also, cutting dairy might be something to look into, if you are sensitive to it (which you might not know until cutting it.) Eating foods that your body does not tolerate really well can only be harmful to your immune system in my opinion. If I were you, I might try cutting the dairy as well if needed, even just while you're working on healing. Also, if you look into the GAPS or SCD diets, they include low/no lactose dairy, and nothing else. That might be something to think about trying as well. (You'd need to ferment your yogurt for 24 hours, drop the straight milk and culture it or just use the cream, and then specific cheese I think...)

Again--good luck w/ figuring out what works best for your body and your healing!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonPA-S View Post

Any advice/opinions are appreciated.
    Besides food, are you getting enough sleep?

I just finished reading Lights Out. According to that book, our unnaturally ling hours under artificial light have a very strong part to play in cancer.

One thing they say is that the only animals apart from Man to get cancer are our domestic pets. I hadn't known that, and it really shook me. Our pets, since they live with us, don't sleep as much as they should and what sleep they do get can be light-polluted.

The authors say you need plenty of sleep - up to 9.5 hours in winter - in complete darkness. That's what most people got through the whole of history until the invention of the lightbulb. In total darkness you make and release melatonin, which has an important role in down-regulating other hormones. it's not good if that doesn't happen. (And experimenters have found that even a small light source shone behind someone's knee is enough to stop that.)

Also, when you sleep the bugs in your stomach, which you need but which can get above themselves, get thinned out. If the wrong strains proliferate there, owing to lack of sleep, your immune system is compromised.

There are plenty of suggestions in the book. Those include stuff like: get to bed early (and earlier as the winter closes in - 9:30 or 10 if possible), keep lights in your house low, don't watch TV or look at a computer screen later in the evening, black your bedroom out totally.

None of that can do any harm - and if the researchers are right may do a lot of good.

http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-Sle.../dp/0671038680

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast