Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breast cancer nutrition page 3

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by EwaB View Post
    Shannon, I was diagnosed with bc a few weeks ago (will have lumpectomy this week) and been wondering the same thing. Among many other books I got the latest editions of Christiane Northrup's Wisdom of Menopause and Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom. She is reversing or maybe updating her nutritional advice for bc stating that there is more and more evidence that it is not red meat that is suspect but probably carbs that people eat with it. In your research you will find volumes of conventional wisdom based on not very sound research. It is all very confusing and frustrating. In trying to sort all this out I keep asking myself if the advice I am reading is in synch with what Nature intended; I think, and it is more of a gut feeling than research, that plenty of plant foods, fish and meat, all organic is the way to go.
    Last year we eliminated all plastic containers from our house, trashed teflon coated pots and pans. I stopped using sunscreens in favor of very thin light color long sleeve shirts if I am out in the sun for hours (hiking and such). Gone are most of the cosmetics - replaced by coconut oil, shea nut butter and such. Maybe I am overdoing it but right now I am scared and totally pissed at companies for not testing the stuff they are telling us to eat, put on our skins, breathe or drink.
    I am told my cancer was caught early and is highly curable. I don't want to take any chances. Will all I am doing prevent it from coming back? I don't know but I am trying to lower the odds. And I am sorry to disagree with your hubby. Even if what you have is nothing, making healthy changes now will help you stay healthy and cancer free, especially considering your family history.
    Big hugs to you. This is a very difficult time, trust me, I know.
    Big hugs to you. I am so sorry you're going through this. It sounds like you have made many positive changes. I feel a "calling" to eating clean animal foods and plant foods. I am not sure if I should be eating fruit at all, though, as others have mentioned the ketogenic diet. I cannot wait to talk to my doctor and get scheduled for an ultrasound or mammogram or whatever she's going to send me for. I have also changed my toiletries (even before now). Amazing what companies put in there. The only thing I have left that is "conventional" is my shampoo and conditioner; I have found that many natural ones make my head itch for some reason. And I only wash my hair ever 2-3 days or so. I do have some conventional makeup though, so I think I need to look at replacing that.

The other thing I'm really going to focus on is just getting by. I am in grad school (physician assistant studies), have a toddler who is on the GAPS diet (which requires quite a bit of prep to make sure her lunches are okay for her) and a husband who doesn't get home until after 7:30 sometimes, so I don't get much done. I have to find a way not to be so stressed out. I think stress and spiritual stuff play a role in this too. I usually stay up really late studying and that really needs to change. I'm praying I can make it through school dealing with this. Another girl in my class had thyroid cancer last semester and she has managed to make it through (although she has no kids).

I don't think you're overdoing it. All these tiny exposures add up; and I think some of us are sensitive to them. I really wish you the best in dealing with this. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonPA-S View Post
    Thank you all for your comments. I still need to read them (and re-read them). One question for Stabby: As far as iodine, what about if you have Hashimoto's as I do?
    Erm, well then certainly not a lot of it. I'm not a doctor and I don't really want to make the judgement call between super-exacerbated hashimoto's and breast cancer. I would say try to get at least 300mcg of iodine but no more and try to resolve that hashimoto's problem. If 300mcg is giving you problems then lower it. If you haven't read it Chris Kresser had a ballin' series on thyroid disease http://thehealthyskeptic.org/
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Barb is offline Senior Member
    I second the low carb/ketogenic approach, probably cut out most of the fruit. Insulin is a cancer growth promoter and the less of your body produces the better. Carbs stimulate insulin release. You want to stick to non-starchy veggies and maybe just some high antioxidant fruits like berries. Ga;ry Taubes in "Good Calories, Bad Calories" has a whole chapter on carbs and cancer that is just excellent. Part of why I am eating a low carb PB diet is to help prevent both cancer and Alzheimers.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Since time is at a premium for you, do the big things....don't get bogged down in minutiae. What are the big things?

sleep, vitamin d, ketosis

Ditch fruits. Stay paleo/primal/low carb AND nutrient dense - personally, I wouldn't be adding a bunch of extra fat to stuff but would be focusing on whole animal eating, some plants, a couple servings of cruciferous veggie servings per day every day.

You *have* to work on the sleep issue. Right now. Great sleep is the MOST anti-inflammatory thing you can do for your body.

Stay in ketosis. The diet of the environment of our evolutionary adaptation will *always* be the right one. Always.

Insure that *starting right now*, you have optimal levels of 25(OH)D.

Here is some info on cancer and low carb:
    https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0A...JwcDVmbg&hl=en
    Last edited by cillakat; 09-05-2010 at 08:58 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=cillakat;200629]stuff but would be focusing on whole animal eating,
    [QUOTE]

That means brains?! I think that means brains. Did you mean brains? Think of all of that DHA protected by saturated fat. It reduces eicosanoid activity like mad, and I truly think that simply reducing eicosanoid activity is the one good point of low fat, but it can be obtained with low carb if done right.

Brains!
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    stuff but would be focusing on whole animal eating,
    That means brains?! I think that means brains. Did you mean brains? Think of all of that DHA protected by saturated fat. It reduces eicosanoid activity like mad, and I truly think that simply reducing eicosanoid activity is the one good point of low fat, but it can be obtained with low carb if done right.

Brains!
    lol. Absolutely. All of it really. Whole animal. Organs in muscles in appropriate ratios. Brains included. Just not freaking all liver for the organs b/c that just messes things up. Some liver is good.......liver and muscle all day every day? Not. Good.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Since time is at a premium for you, do the big things....don't get bogged down in minutiae. What are the big things?

sleep, vitamin d, ketosis

Ditch fruits. Stay paleo/primal/low carb AND nutrient dense - personally, I wouldn't be adding a bunch of extra fat to stuff but would be focusing on whole animal eating, some plants, a couple servings of cruciferous veggie servings per day every day.

You *have* to work on the sleep issue. Right now. Great sleep is the MOST anti-inflammatory thing you can do for your body.

Stay in ketosis. The diet of the environment of our evolutionary adaptation will *always* be the right one. Always.

Insure that *starting right now*, you have optimal levels of 25(OH)D.

Here is some info on cancer and low carb:
    https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0A...JwcDVmbg&hl=en
    Katherine,

I'm going to bed soon, I promise.

My last vit D test was 26. Down from 57. I had stopped taking the 10,000 IU per day and went to twice per week (stupid). So I'm back on 10,000 IU now. Should I be taking more intially to get it up fast?

How do I go about whole animal eating? I know it's not great to just eat muscle and liver. I don't know if I can stomach brains, but if I could make soup or something, I might be able to handle it. Like, would fish soup be okay?

ETA: I can't access the google docs. It says I don't have access even when I log in.
    Last edited by ShannonPA-S; 09-05-2010 at 10:00 PM.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    this is interesting... do you think we should take a probiotic before going to bed? I've always (when I remember cause I am hopeless) taken them first thing in the morning.
    They do advise probiotics, but they don't say to take them at any particular time.

I'd guess with your food would likely be best, as that's how people would have got them throughout their evolutionary history. I have taken them occasionally but don't take them on a regular basis myself. However, I do eat fermented foods now and then. There's some dispute as to how much any of this does for your flora, and it's certainly down to what you eat as well - and, now, it seems, how much you sleep.

So, yeah, they do advise probiotics, but the most important thing for health according to that book is simply to get your head down. There seems to be a fair bit of evidence emerging for that. Again on cancer - they note that researchers on toxins have found that their results get skewed if the rats' cages get light spilled over them at night, because the room isn't properly blacked out. The authors say the researchers noted this as a problem with the toxin experiments but apparently failed to see the wider importance of it.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to hijack.

Still working on organ meats here--cillakat, would you think an organ/glandular blend supp would be ok as an organ source for those who are just not ready to cook up a pan of brains? Something like this: http://www.iherb.com/Natural-Sources...Capsules/23293

Raw Multiple Glandular Concentrate with Synergistic Complex
    New Easy to Digest Capsules
    Dietary Supplement
    Raw tissue concentrates imported from New Zealand are made from toxin-free lyophilized glands from animals grazed rangeland free of pesticides, growth hormones, antibiotics or chemical additives.
    Synergistic Complex
    (Liver Tissue, Brain Tissue, Stomach Tissue, Kidney Tissue, Heart Tissue, Spleen Tissue, Pancreas Tissue, Duodenum Tissue, Thyroid Tissue, Thymus Tissue, Adrenal Tissue, Parotid Tissue, Pituitary Tissue, Rice Bran.)

650 mg (per capsule)
    TIA!

Chelc is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Shannon, just for good measure I would immediately stop wearing a bra if you wear one from day to day. I have been finding research lately that talks about how bras (even looser fitting bras) easily cut off your lymph vessels in your breasts so toxins are able to build up and can't drain easily. I'd recommend it for all females who experience soreness or cysts to try this as well.

http://www.brafree.org/research.html
    http://www.all-natural.com/bras.html

There are just 2 websites of many. Wouldn't hurt right? Plus they say going braless actually causes LESS sag in the long run because it builds up the muscles and ligaments in that area.

No I'm not a "hippy" or "feminist"...just a girl who is trying to cure my own health issues naturally. I think we all know by now it's good to challenge CW.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast