Thread: My primal grocery cart page

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

My primal grocery cart

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I went for a big 'shop' today, we needed provisions and unfortunately are unable to hunt at this time, sad because it is moose season.

As I filled my cart from the 'outer circle' I walked passed other people, their carts full to the brim with all types of grains, potatoes, etc. And many of them looked miserable. I have had people tell me the way I eat is not healthy, yet I have more veggies, fruit and whole foods brimming from my cart.

I love how quickly I can shop too. It doesn't take long to run through the produce section, cruise down past the milk, eggs and cheese and then hit the meats and frozen veggies.

Then I think. "Oh crap, this is going to be expensive" Yet, at just over $250 and with pounds of meat and some salmon, tilapia, and shrimp- that really isn't that bad. We live in an expensive area, so I was happy it was under $300!

When we were eating the old style 'healthy' diet and even before that when we were eating the SAD we spent that much if not more on groceries. And we lived in a less expensive area at the time. Processed foods are pricey. And even though sometimes fruits can be expensive, other veggies are not. I totally don't buy into the eating healthy is more expensive mentality.

rki
    rki is offline Senior Member
    A very good point. My husband and I did wind up spending about $30-40 more a week when we switched to primal, but that's because meat is expensive and I was doing a nearly vegetarian, make your own wheat bread, and eat oatmeal type diet. I don't regret it though. And once we can get my husband out there to hunt and fish, I suspect the cost of meat may go down. Shame the sporting-goods equipment cost goes up. I guess it really is an investment.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, adding meat if you don't normally buy it does make it a little more pricey. But, we were already meat eaters, so that didn't change much.

If i take into account how much we eat at home now, that makes a difference too.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post
    As I filled my cart from the 'outer circle' I walked passed other people, their carts full to the brim with all types of grains, potatoes, etc. And many of them looked miserable. I have had people tell me the way I eat is not healthy, yet I have more veggies, fruit and whole foods brimming from my cart.

I love how quickly I can shop too. It doesn't take long to run through the produce section, cruise down past the milk, eggs and cheese and then hit the meats and frozen veggies.
    I'm amazed now at the foods people buy. I guess I was one of them a couple of years ago with the boxes of cold cereal, crackers, diet soda, etc. I do occasionally get looks as I put items like Kerrygold butter, beef and bacon in my cart because as you know overweight people are never supposed to have these items. Of course they ignore the piles of fresh produce also in my cart and the lack of the junky staples they have in their cart. Sometimes I want to put a sign on my cart saying, "I lost 109#s eating this way." LOL

I find it now takes me much longer to shop as I go to various farms and farmer's markets, Trader Joe's, my local natural market and finally a couple of different grocery stores to get the items I want. I wish everything could be in one place sometimes but getting the foods I want makes it worth it.