Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sausages? page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Sausages?

Shop Now
    Are chicken sausages primal? I just went to Costco and we bought a whole pack of sun dried tomato chicken sausage links. ??

Primal is offline Senior Member
    except for the sugar (probably minimal) and preservatives, sure...

shannon is offline Senior Member
    well look at the ingredients. whole foods and tj's have some decent ones (no preservatives,sugar) never really liked sausage though:-( maybe it's the casing? oh well, enjoy!!
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    I would consider them a "sort of" processed food, but that's not to say I have not enjoyed them on occassion. With stuff like that, I always seek out organic ones if I can find them, that way I feel less guilty for eating them!

Primal is offline Senior Member
    Just a hunch, but I bet the Costco sausages are about as, well, processed and mass market as you can get. Doesn't mean they're that bad, just likely not what one can find at TJ's or Whole Foods.

peril is offline Senior Member
    The only reason some sausages are labelled "gluten free" is that most of the rest have wheat in them as a binding agent. At least they do where I live

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Chicken, especially from costco, is fed grains/soy. It's fatty acid ratio is not ideal, so if I were to get conventional meats, I'd stick to ruminants. I stick to ruminants regardless. You could probably do worse, but not a great choice.

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    Most commercial sausages will be made with a filler/binder agent, typically breadcrumbs. Skins are normally synthetic. Gluten free just means another binder something like rice flour (?).

Try making your own skinless sausages aka meatballs if you can just use eggs as the binder

We had these last night 750g ground beef, parsley, rosemary, finely chopped onion, 1/2 grated carrot and a couple of eggs. Mix together with hands then shape into balls or sausages and bake in the oven on a tray with coconut oil for 20-30mins. While baking I made up zucchini, spinach,silver beet, onion and tomato sauce along with mashed cauliflower. Even the kids ate the lot...

cheers FBF
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Donk is offline Banned
    I make 'Grok sausage'. I know an organic butcher and get him to save me some small intestines from pigs and I squash in heaps of fat and fill the gaps with coconut oil and then fry them up.

Good hit of fat and tastes great. Just have some stevia in water if you feel like something sweet afterwards. I wouldnt buy anything from costco cos last time I checked they didnt have any organic animals in the meat section for sale.

Donk is offline Banned
    I make 'Grok sausage'. I know an organic butcher and get him to save me some small intestines from pigs and I squash in heaps of fat and fill the gaps with coconut oil and then fry them up.

Good hit of fat and tastes great. Just have some stevia in water if you feel like something sweet afterwards. I wouldnt buy anything from costco cos last time I checked they didnt have any organic animals in the meat section for sale.

If in doubt if its PB kosher, just ask 'what would Grok do?' If you wouldnt find it in nature, dont eat it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast