Thread: Road-Trip Foraging page

cc40 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Thought I'd share this with you.

My wife and I drove down to Georgia yesterday to pick up our kids from the grandparents. This was going to be a 12-14 hour there-and-back day in the car ... ugh. For food, I had packed some cooked chicken breasts, large salad, nuts, and a couple pieces of fruit. I figured I would be sitting still all day and wouldn't need a ton of fuel.

Anyway, she wanted to stop for lunch, and we had the dog with us so it was time to walk him. This is where I add that my wife has not adopted a Primal diet (she's trying though), and she went in to a franchise to get a "grilled" chicken sandwich.

I took the dog for a walk along a stretch of grass next to a long fence line. This is where I hit gold! There were huge blackberry bushes filled with large, ripened berries! I ran back to car and grabbed a container to fill with my little prizes. There were also several grape vines with small, not yet mature grapes on them. I took a clipping from one of these vines to try and grow here at home.

On the way back home, at a highway rest stop of all places, it happened again. I was walking the dog and came across a ripening wild plum tree with thousands of plums on the ground beneath it. A quick search on the cell phone gave me the green light and I picked about 3 pounds of these beauties as well.

While I probably went over my daily carb intake yesterday, it was more than worth it to have picked it all myself. Hopefully, I can get this vine to sprout in a planter and keep it for permanent planting later on. Half the plums will be a sauce tonight and snacks for the week. Blackberries are going into yogurt as I type this ... YUM!

maba is offline Senior Member

How nice! Hope the grape vine thrives. Incidentally, when I went on my walk yesterday, I found some blackberries (I think) too. Usually, I'm wary of picking berries on roadsides as I never know if they are poisonous or not, but this looked and tasted like blackberry. I must go pick them today.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

cc40,

SCORE!!!

Well played. Nature seems to provide to those with eyes to recognize it.

Thanks for sharing...

sofiawahaj Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I had a similar experience yesterday. We (me, hubby, 2 kids) went for a hike to the Farmer's Market. After purchasing our goodies, we were on the trail back home and ran into patches after patches of blackberries. We foraged for a while, my youngest daughter's face turned purple. I pricked my fingers a bit, but it was worth it. I wish I had brought a container to collect some for later instead of stuffing my face!