Thread: Confusing lab results....low protein? page

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member

Confusing lab results....low protein?

Primal Fuel
    Latest labs show low total protein of 6.5 g/dl (normal for this lab is 6.7 - 8.5). As a person who eats meat usually twice a day, this is confusing. Or am I confusing correlation? My typical labs show low RDW, but this time I also got low readings in RBC, HGB HCT, CA, Alk Phos, C Reactive Protein and C3 (82.3 mg/dL).

I typically also have normal glucose readings but this time showed 115, although I had just eaten my once/twice monthly rice allowance at sushi so that doesn't concern me too much.

I follow-up with my doc in 3 weeks. Is he going to wig on me because of my diet? He already gasped when I told him I sup with 5000 iu of D3 daily, although my results look good there (58).

Has anyone had similar-ish labs while eating primally?

Perspective: I have mixed connective tissue disease (possibly UCTD but who knows....).
    Last edited by say_rahhh; 09-04-2010 at 10:37 AM.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Total protein in the blood (in the U.S.) is generally not related to lack of protein in your diet except at the extreme (starvation). The most common causes, in general, are related to decreased production (liver disease) or increased loss (kidney disease) or malabsorptive diseases. It's also related to inflammation, which would be relevant with your diagnosis.

At the same time, you're barely low, and "normal ranges," by definition, misclassify some people.

I'd think, with your diagnosis, interpreting your lab could only be oversimplified on a forum like this.
    Last edited by avocado; 09-04-2010 at 12:14 PM.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    I'd think, with your diagnosis, interpreting your lab could only be oversimplified on a forum like this.
    Oh, I know. I do have my app't with my doc upcoming. Just curious about that protein bit since I figured consumption would have something to do with levels. I'm sure "eat more whole grains" will come up though. ha.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges