Thread: Recipe for Artichoke please? page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Recipe for Artichoke please?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Does anyone have a link or homemade artichoke recipe?

MJinLV is offline Senior Member
    Are you trying to cook a fresh artichoke or use canned artichokes?

For fresh artichokes, I use the very simple method of cutting the stem off and popping the whole thing in a pan of simmering water for 35-45 minutes. It is done when you can press a knife in the stem area easily. I then pull off the leaves, dip them in melted butter spiked with a bit of lemon, and scrape the leaves with my teeth. Preso, simple. The fancy cookbooks will tell you to cut off the thorny bits on the leaves, but I think I'm mature enough to just avoid the pokey parts. When you have peeled the leaves down to the fuzzy part (the choke), use the knife to scrape the fuzz away and toss it (if swallowed your throat will be itchy for a long time). Chop up the bottom of the artichoke and toss in the butter before eating.

Canned artichokes can be added to salads or sauces.
    Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

MJinLV is offline Senior Member
    This makes a very filling soup. You can pair with a protein or throw some chicken in the soup.

ARTICHOKE SOUP
    1 T olive oil
    1 small onion, minced
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    One 14 oz can artichokes, rinsed, drained, and chopped
    2 cups broth or stock
    ˝ t dried parsley
    ˝ t dried basil
    ˝ t dried oregano
    salt to taste
    cayenne to taste (optional)
    fresh lemon juice to taste

1. Heat the oil in a stockpot over medium heat
    2. Sauté the onion and garlic until translucent.
    3. Stir in artichoke hearts, broth, and herbs. Add other seasonings, if using.
    4. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
    Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    Here's how I made my artichokes last and they were freakin delicious! I cut off the pokey parts, just cause I'm clumsy like that and will invariably poke myself. Cut off the stems (but keep them, I didn't do this last time, but a friend of mine said that if you toss them into the cooking water they'll cook and taste like the heart) stick your fingers, or a butter knife in the middle and open the flower up. It may take a little working to get them to open and stay open. Dice fresh garlic and put in the very bottom of the artichoke. As much as you want! Then grate in some fresh Parmesan. (I only had the grated can type stuff but *shrug*. Take frozen spinach, thaw it and squeeze it out in a paper towel. Break it up and mix it with a little more Parmesan. Stick that mixture in the top of the artichoke. Place artichokes in water up to the middle in a pot. Drizzle olive oil over the tops of them and a little in the water. Put a lid on it and simmer them till they're done. (I wasn't really sure about the time last time, I have to play with it.) Afterwards dip in melted butter mixed with lemon juice and save all the goodies inside till you get there by peeling of the outside.

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    Ps...anyone know someone who would ship artichokes? I know they're super cheap in the Southwest but sooooo expensive here in Florida!! Like 1.50-2.50 per (usually closer to 2)! I found a great deal at Costco the other day, four for five and some change but of course, when I went back, they were GONE! and they're not sure if they're going to get them back.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I steam artichokes. They go into my bamboo steamer on top of the big wok.

This link shows it well so I won't have to type so much. Also has pictures.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how..._an_artichoke/

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Simplest way to prepare artichokes is to steam them. Check the link for directions and pictures.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how..._an_artichoke/