Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: primal arrowroot powder substitute? page

charlotta is offline Junior Member

primal arrowroot powder substitute?

Primal Fuel
    Is there a primal substitue for arrowroot powder? It's in several recipes for baking and such... but it's not really possible to get over here (Norway), and not allowed to ship in from other countries.
    thanks!!! Charlotta

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Not allowed? That's so weird. I'm guessing maybe you could find it online somewhere. I don't know of any substitutes. I use arrowroot as a substitute. (For flour as a thickener for sauces.)

I will continue my search I was using arrowroot for thickener, but I ran out, and I had gotten it in Sweden. That's why I'm trying to find a substitute for the substitute...if there is one

FergalJennings is offline Senior Member
    I cant find arrowroot here..sucks!

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    WHAT??? I can't ship you any? that is so bogus.
    I bet there is somewhere in the EU that has it (Germany?)
    That's it Charlotta, I *have* to come visit & smuggle arrowroot in my bag. harrummpphh

R.F. is offline Junior Member
    Potato flour also works as a thickener... or even just well mashed potato... great for thickening stews, and gravies and the like.

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    @RF, this is more specifically for a "bread" recipe...
    here's the original (for anyone who wants it, is quite good) 1 1/2c almond flour, 3/4c arrowroot powder, 1/4 flax meal, 1/2tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 4 eggs, 1 tsp honey, 1 tsp cider vinegar. Bake in 7in loaf pan @ 350 30-35 min. beautiful golden loaf!

Ok, for my 1st experiment, I subbed 1/2c coconut flour. I added 1/4c oil to compensate for the dryness. (ghee & coconut oil mixed). It did not get as big & fluffy as the original, but it still tastes good warm with blob-o-butter. I was looking in the (meager) market here & wondering about potato flour. Or tapioca flour. I know we tend to stay away from those, but sometimes a primal has to go with what's available. I have some quinoa flour, so I'll try that variation tomorrow. It's still summer & the house is hot from making pickles

isn't potato flour not primal?? thry have that here, and some corn flour stuff but that's all... I will try it with coconut flour today! I am having a hard time getting the ingredients over here! other than that, it's fabulous:O)

smuggle arrowroot and almond flour because I can't buy that either for under 20$ for 100grams. that's way toooooo much on a student income! I've been making my own almond flour but it's really course so it doesn't work well with baking, but works fine in cooking... but if I can find a way to make it less course, the kids will also like it

cookie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    you can use cornstarch 1:1 to replace arrowroot, if you're not against that sort of thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast