Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ladies - I need your help here - carbs and PMS page

lisser is offline Junior Member

Ladies - I need your help here - carbs and PMS

Shop Now
    I've been lurking for awhile. I've completed my first month of primal eating. Its been great, truly LIFE CHANGING for me. I havent felt so much mental clarity and had so much energy since my early 20's (I just turned 30). I'm down 12lbs and 3.5" off my waist. (I was on the Mirena for 18mo which caused me to gain massive amounts of weight, ugh.) I'm not on any BC now...and never will be again.

I can do great for most of the month, but that week before my period, I am having a really hard time resisting the carbs.

What helps?

Lisser ~ Farm living, chicken raising, sorta hippy mom to 2 little boys (3 and 5), living in the Idaho Panhandle with my husband.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Well, you can always do carbs, but primal carbs like some sweet potato.

I know Cillakat recommends Krill oil as needed during the week before... you can go to her blog and check out her supplement posts. I haven't tried it yet, but am thinking about adding krill oil soon to my regimen.

Not much help, but I'm sure there will be more soon! Congrats on the good changes!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    When It gets bad, do a tablespoon of coconut oil or coconut butter. The fat will ward off the cravings.

BTW: congrats on your new primal life. you will Love it more and more as time goes by. I cannot believe it took me this long to get smart and change my life for the better. Just really happy I did, and the food alone is the single most wonderful thing about this for me..... Welcome aboard!

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Nosh on some olives, that really works for me.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I agree with eat carbs, just make them primal. Have you ever tasted butternut squash fried in coconut oil? If not you should, delish. Or apples in bacon fat....OMgoodness, to DIE for!

lisser is offline Junior Member
    Is Krill oil different/better than fish oil?

OMG apples in bacon grease sounds SOOOO good for some reason...sprinkled w/ cinnamon.

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    Currently munching on unsweetened coconut chips like these: http://www.nutsonline.com/driedfruit...ted-chips.html
    It's kind of snacky/desserty and seem to be doing the trick (I would love a mini coconut flour donut right now though!)

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Oh, mix a bit of melted almond butter and some banana with your coconut. Mmmmmmm.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Wow--I need to look into the krill oil stuff--fascinating!

We've been talking about this a bit in an MDC primal/paleo thread. I've noticed my carb cravings really go up around my period, and that I'm also ravenous, esp right b/4 it. Other times of the month I can IF no problem, but NOT the week b/4 my period. I find that if I have enough fatty and protein rich meat along w/ veggies (w/ fat added) available BEFORE I get to the ravenous stage, I can do much better at managing my carb intake (ie--not eat a bag of chips in a sitting--so non primal!) For me, its about planning meals, making enough in case I want a snack so I'll have food leftover, and not planning to IF *at all* the week b/4 my period. I did this through my last cycle and it was awesome--I stayed 100% primal and actually dropped starches at the same time, without it being too hard. Thrilling for me. I also ate fruit as needed, but the meat and fat and big plates of veg. got me through.

I say prep way more food than you usually would for yourself, so its not hard to get when you suddenly get a wave of hunger. I find if I avoid doing the "I'll just wait until I'm really really hungry" at that part of my cycle, I am able to more easily stick to lower carb foods/not crave way high carb foods. On a regular day (like today) I am able to IF if I feel like it (esp if I have a planned meaty and veg rich meal to break the fast w/) w/ no problem, and w/out carb cravings (or carb binging). But I've found attempting to IF in any manner a recipe for disaster if I'm premenstrual.

HTH!!!!

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    And lisser, have you posted about birth control and healing from it at all? There may be supps folks have to recommend that could be helpful to you, in general, that could also lead to more evenness throughout your cycle. (I have very little knowledge of this b/c I luckily have avoided bc most of my life, aside from condoms, and, um, the rhythm method But I have read issues w/ too much copper/zinc deficiency from certain bc--maybe just the copper IUD? Sorry if this is off topic and not helpful!!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast