Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ladies - I need your help here - carbs and PMS page 3

lisser is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Okay, I will be making a conscious effort to up my fat and calories in general for the next go 'round. Thanks everyone.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karna View Post
    It is such a relief to read that you also eat 2x the amount or more. I am in the middle of my PMS now and I am moody, feeling fat, ugly, depressed, anxious and in this PMS state of mind it is hard for me to accept the fact that I eat that much due to hormonal changes and no because I am a some kind of freak :-)
    To me, the basics of primal are stick to primal foods in the macro ratio that works best for you, eat when hungry, don't when not. I prob eat the same proportion of fat/protein/carbs around that part of my cycle, just a lot *more*. Listening to our bodies is huge in all this I think. I've found it comforting that other primal women seem super hungry/have big appetites around their periods as well. I think we are *normal*.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    First I'll say that I second the Krill oil. Kat had suggested it when I asked about cyclic migraines and of course the PMS "seefoodeatfood" cycle. I was consistant with it for three months, and within the first month the migraines were gone, my cycle became a 28 day one instead of 35 and NO massive carb cravings. I did have a little, but a glass of wine and a little dark chocolate did the trick. I went off my supplements in August (camping, shows, family visiting, running around like a crazy woman) and have to get back into it. What I DID notice was a killer migraine (mid cycle) and currently I'm going through the seefoodeatfood period right before my period.

Needless to say I will be going BACK on the damn krill oil tout suite.

As for the BC comments, I'd be interested in knowing more. I went on the pill at 14, and gained about 100lbs over 4 years. My weight stabalized at about 230. I CANNOT get away from this number. The highest I've been was 270, and through two pregnancies I got back down to 230 (Oddly when pregnant I loose weight like it's water off a ducks back).

So, here I sit. I'm SURE that the pill started the IR, and the PCOS and prevents me from loosing weight.

The PB plan does work for me. I need to kick out the visitors and take back my house first. Buncha junk food junkies here and I have the will of a marshmallow.

Elorajade: PCOS makes it really difficult to lose weight (duh) from what I understand. I thought low-carb was supposed to help PCOS. How long have you been primal? Are you on metformin? The book Fertility, Cycles and Nurtrition is a great one for women suffering reproductive health issues. Have you tried using progestrone cream to restore your natural prog/estrogen balance? I used it after I had my Mirena removed and I do think it helped.

Quote Originally Posted by lisser View Post
    Elorajade: PCOS makes it really difficult to lose weight (duh) from what I understand. I thought low-carb was supposed to help PCOS. How long have you been primal? Are you on metformin? The book Fertility, Cycles and Nurtrition is a great one for women suffering reproductive health issues. Have you tried using progestrone cream to restore your natural prog/estrogen balance? I used it after I had my Mirena removed and I do think it helped.
    It does help. PB does work for me, but its a matter of getting and staying there. Movement is SOOOO slow it's really frustrating. We've already had our kids, thankfully, it took 10 years to have our first. I had PCOS, a bicornate uterus and a tilted cervix working against us. We are frankly damn lucky to have the two we have.

I tried progesterone cream for a spell, thinking that perhaps if I balanced that then I'd see increased weight loss. But I didn't really see much of a difference. It's just really weird that the only times I could loose weight without even trying was when pregnant. it's like everything aligned properly and the weight just came off.

I've been reading this forum since last October I think it was, ordered the book over Christmas and started on and off through the winter. Experimenting etc. For me, to see any movement, I need to be under 20g of carbs per day, which is really really hard. I LOVE veggies. Once the junk food lovin junkies leave (Thursday) I will get my kitchen back and get back into a routine. Then I can purge the fridge and pantry. Go into Coke Zero withdrawl for a few days and start back on the horse.

elorajade, I'm not sure what the rest of your food intake looks like, but wanted to share I've read lots of anecdotes from folks about dropping foods that they are sensitive to/intolerant of (such as dairy--a biggie), and then sudden weight loss ensues. I'm one who lost 50 lbs w/out doing anything but dropping gluten, dairy, soy and corn (and switching from some processed foods to made from scratch foods, then slowly adding animal products into my formerly vegetarian diet. No caloric restriction or watching carbs or anything, etc...) Just a thought!! I can only imagine how difficult it must be to try and stick to 20g carbs a day (if you prefer getting lots of veg, etc). Good luck!!

Yes, I also think exploring food allergies/sensitivities is a good idea. If you are strict primal (no grains/dairy), those are two big food allergens right there. I can see that it would be totally intimidating to eliminate both at the same time. I was off dairy for an extended period of time because my son who I breastfed (well, still breastfeed), was very intolerant to it, wouldnt sleep, scream etc. I would pick one and start there, see how you feel after a month. I wouldnt limit carbs probably either. I would eat anything that is strict primal, in any quantity, as you give up the grains. I mean, you prob dont want to eat 6 bananas a day, but you know what I mean. Even if you are at 150g carbs a day, but ALL of them are from fruits and veggies...that is going to be WAY better than grain based carbs. I am NOT saying this is easy. I am not 100% primal myself, but I am still seeing really positive results. I think you just have to find what works for you, your body, and your situation.

Oh, and the book Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition is NOT just about getting pregnant. Its about fixing issues with your reproductive/hormonal cycles.

I think I will give that a try. I cringe at giving up sour cream though. I do think I have a grain sensitivity given my reaction to them after I clean them from my diet. Also, I'll check out that book. Thanks!

Good luck!! I find, even w/ my own dairy sensitivity, that I can still do (lactose/casein free) ghee (and so can my son) w/ no reactions. And coconut milk is my dairy free savior.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by lisser View Post
    I can do great for most of the month, but that week before my period, I am having a really hard time resisting the carbs.

What helps?
    Increase protein and fat.
    INcrease magnesium (from supplements most likely)
    Start taking Neptune Krill Oil - 1-2 caps per day from ovulation till day 1 or 2 or your period.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123