Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ladies - I need your help here - carbs and PMS page 2

leera21 is offline Member
    I can't help much as I just started primal,but why not go for good carbs? give it a try..

The one and only time I was on b/c,I lost 80 pounds in six months(weird opposite reaction than most women)and was taken back off of it....

Karna is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    We've been talking about this a bit in an MDC primal/paleo thread. I've noticed my carb cravings really go up around my period, and that I'm also ravenous, esp right b/4 it. Other times of the month I can IF no problem, but NOT the week b/4 my period. I find that if I have enough fatty and protein rich meat along w/ veggies (w/ fat added) available BEFORE I get to the ravenous stage, I can do much better at managing my carb intake (ie--not eat a bag of chips in a sitting--so non primal!) For me, its about planning meals, making enough in case I want a snack so I'll have food leftover, and not planning to IF *at all* the week b/4 my period. I did this through my last cycle and it was awesome--I stayed 100% primal and actually dropped starches at the same time, without it being too hard. Thrilling for me. I also ate fruit as needed, but the meat and fat and big plates of veg. got me through.

I say prep way more food than you usually would for yourself, so its not hard to get when you suddenly get a wave of hunger. I find if I avoid doing the "I'll just wait until I'm really really hungry" at that part of my cycle, I am able to more easily stick to lower carb foods/not crave way high carb foods. On a regular day (like today) I am able to IF if I feel like it (esp if I have a planned meaty and veg rich meal to break the fast w/) w/ no problem, and w/out carb cravings (or carb binging). But I've found attempting to IF in any manner a recipe for disaster if I'm premenstrual.
    This is very helpfull!! Great ideas on how to manage PMS cravings.

You say there are more stuff to be read in the "MDC primal/paleo thread" . sorry but I can not find this thread from the search results. Can anyone help with a link, plese?

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, we have an ongoing thread in the mothering.com traditional foods forum--its not related to MDA (although we reference MDA all the time in the threads.) Here is our August thread where we talk about our cycles and food, although it's a convo we've had for months. If you go to MDC and search grain free or primal or paleo, you'll find more threads from a group of moms who post their on this topic.

August thread:
    http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1249189

Our current Sept thread:
    http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1258399

Its no substitute for MDA--but I love talking w/ this group of moms about this stuff. More of a support, share ideas and recipes thread than the really in depth stuff we get here at MDA (although I know lots offer support, recipes, ideas etc here as well.)

lisser is offline Junior Member
    FairyRae,

Thanks for all the tips. You can find me by the same name on MDC, but I havent checked out the paleo thread there, though I did see it a couple of weeks ago.

I have researched the whole BC thing, and what I have found is that most BC puts you into insulin resistance, and gives you progesterone and thyroid issues, but especially the Mirena IUD, Norplant, and Depo. I was AGHAST to see that people on the Mirena IUD had their thyroid REMOVED b/c of "thyroid issues" most assuredly caused by the IUD.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I pretty much blew it this time, but that is why I posted so next time can be better.

I'm still open to hearing other peoples ideas, since not everything works for everyone, and I'm not sure what will work for me. But increasing fats sounds like one place to start.

I'd also still like to know the difference between Krill and regular fish oil. That being said there is only one brand of fish oil I have found that I can tolerate.

Wow on the bc stuff--just...wow.

Hope to see you on MDC!

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member
    I get very hungry before my period too, I just try to eat more of my usual (primal) diet. I sometimes eat twice as much in a meal than I normally would. I try to eat more fatty meat at that time too. I don't worry because I know the hunger only lasts for a couple of days.

JenBoo is offline Junior Member
    The advice to have food ready in the fridge is excellent. That really helps me when I have cravings. I tend to have bacon already cooked up, some chicken legs with buffalo sauce, and boiled eggs ready to go. I also find having coconut milk smoothies helps me over the carb cravings. I use 1/2 cup of coconut milk, 1/2 cup of berries, one scoop of protein powder, and if I am really craving carbs, half a banana, with some water or unsweetened almond milk. That seems to help.
    If I am having cravings for sweets (for me, it is usually salty followed by sweets) then I make some of the coconut custard in the Primal Cookbook. That seems to help quite a bit.

Jenboo, your post reminded me that I think precooked, cold bacon, is like the awesome-est satisfying snack!!

And I am w/ you on the eating 2x the amount (or more!) than I usually do at meals mozzy!! Being aware of that, and planning ahead for it, and accepting it, helps me soooooo much more than trying to stick to a smaller amount of food...

Karna is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    And I am w/ you on the eating 2x the amount (or more!) than I usually do at meals mozzy!! Being aware of that, and planning ahead for it, and accepting it, helps me soooooo much more than trying to stick to a smaller amount of food...
    It is such a relief to read that you also eat 2x the amount or more. I am in the middle of my PMS now and I am moody, feeling fat, ugly, depressed, anxious and in this PMS state of mind it is hard for me to accept the fact that I eat that much due to hormonal changes and no because I am a some kind of freak :-) In clearer moments I tell myself that everything will change again in a few days but it's kind of strange because I keep forgetting! I even write notes in my calender telling myself that if I feel strange it is just because of PMS.

I am learning to accept and live in peace with my PMS but still have quite a way to travel!!
    Last edited by Karna; 09-04-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Donk is offline Banned
    PrimalCon New York
    Lisser, you just are not eating enough fat. If I eat over 6000calories a day from fat for a week, I dont have any carb cravings. You want to get big right? Carbs like potato and fruits are for the scrawny!!

The fat we eat is the fat we wear. Eat up! What would Grok do? Eat like Grok to look like Grok.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast