Thread: I'm in raw fish heaven! page

theholla is offline Senior Member

Talking I'm in raw fish heaven!

Primal Fuel
    Recently I splurged on some very nice quality sustainable seafood, which is safe to eat raw. It is too delicious! I've been experimenting with some raw/ultra-rare recipes, and would love to get more ideas for tartare, ceviche, sashimi, and all things raw fish.

So far we've really loved:

Ginger Salmon Tartare

• 6 oz Coho salmon, skinned, boned, and cut into tiny cubes
    • 2 scallions, chopped thinly
    • 1 inch of ginger root, peeled and minced
    • 1 tsp soy sauce (I prefer wheat-free tamari)
    • 1 tsp fish sauce
    • 1 tsp sesame oil
    • 1 tsp olive oil
    • .5 lime, juiced
    • Toasted sesame seeds for garnish

1. Mix everything together.
    2. Marinate in the fridge for 15 minutes.
    3. Devour!

We ate it on top of a big bed of lettuce topped with toasted sesame seeds.

Avocado Tuna Tartare

• 6 oz albacore tuna, cut into tiny cubes
    • 2 scallions, chopped thinly
    • Bunch of cilantro, chopped
    • .5 lime, juiced
    • 1 tsp fish sauce
    • 2 tsp olive oil
    • Lots of chili powder
    • Sriracha to taste (my favorite non-primal indulgence - feel free to substitute a primal hot sauce instead)
    • .5 avocado, cubed
    • Coarse sea salt

1. Mix everything but the avocado and sea salt together, and marinate in the fridge for 10 minutes.
    2. Sprinkle some sea salt over the avocado cubes.
    3. Oil a cup or small bowl (about 10 oz or so)
    4. Spoon 1/2 of tuna mixture into the cup, using the back of the spoon to press it down
    5. Spoon avocado pieces into the cup
    6. Spoon the remaining 1/2 of tuna mixture into the cup, again using the back of the spoon to press it down a bit
    7. Over a plate, place the bowl upside down. You should have something that looks like this, minus the fancy garnishes.
    8. Feast!

Any other raw fish lovers out there?

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    Looks fantastic! I LOVE raw fish! Mark's primal poke salad is one of my faves: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-poke-salad/

I'm also dying to try this, maybe with salmon instead of scallops: http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kit...avocado-salad/

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Love raw seafood, sashimi rocks.

When I used to dive for scallops the first one I found I would shuck, take out my regulator, and chow down! This was usually done at 60ft underwater in the middle of winter (January). Later, when we finished diving and harvested our allowed allotment we would eat a few more raw while on shore shucking the rest. You should give scallops a try, they are very sweet raw.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainer View Post
    Love raw seafood, sashimi rocks.

When I used to dive for scallops the first one I found I would shuck, take out my regulator, and chow down! This was usually done at 60ft underwater in the middle of winter (January). Later, when we finished diving and harvested our allowed allotment we would eat a few more raw while on shore shucking the rest. You should give scallops a try, they are very sweet raw.
    I LOVE your spirit, Mainer!!!
    I have made salmon sashimi right in the boat, out on the water...but NEVER have I eaten scallops underwater.
    That's going to have to go on my list now....

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! I'm going to have to try some raw scallops, though I can't imagine the experience will be quite as primal as eating them underwater I've never quite been able to get past the appearance of raw oysters (though Mr. Holla loves them), but scallops look waaaaay less freaky.

The primal poke salad sounds delicious, so I think it's time to invest in some avocado oil.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes