Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unrealistic expectations? page

jodyanne is offline Junior Member

Unrealistic expectations?

Shop Now
    Hi! My first time posting here and would really appreciate any thoughts/comments as I'm feeling very fed-up with primal blueprint eating today and wondering if there's any point continuing on!

Myself and my husband have been following primal blueprint fairly cleanly for 9 weeks now. The only time we "break-out" is Friday evening when we have pizza, wine and something sweet. As we are following it all the rest of the week, I feel like this should be ok! I even cut out diet coke which was so hard as I was a big addict!

Activity-wise, I've been doing two sessions of bootcamp style interval training (mix of high- and low- intensity cardio and resistance) each week and one hour of work in the gym with a personal trainer.

I started out 168 pounds with 30% body fat.
    After 6 weeks I was STILL 168 pounds but I had lost 9.5 inches in key sites (an inch off each arm for example and and 4 inches off the waist) and was coming up as 28% body fat. I thought that was ok but not great.
    Another 3 weeks on and I am STILL 168 pounds. I haven't been measured or had body fat done but I don't feel like anything's shifted more in the last 3 weeks.

In the meantime, my husband is down 26 pounds!

So I'm very disheartened. I'm reading all these stories of people who lost a lot of weight as soon as they switched to primal eating and I'm feeling like it should be happening by now, especially as it seems to be happening for my husband who's eating all the same things I'm eating.

What do you think, am I expecting too much?

groquette is offline Senior Member
    It's different for everybody, but in my case, if I have pizza once a week, I don't lose weight. Same with wine/beer. Same with something sweet. Others can splurge once a week and still lose weight. My husband used to splurge regularly, and lost about 25 lbs in 8 months. When he cut out the grains and sugar entirely he lost 15 lbs in 5 weeks.

I've lost 50 lbs in one year. Most of the weight came off in the space of about 5 months where I didn't have any "20%". During the other months my weight was pretty stable, but I did see improvements in other things, such as skin, sleep, and digestion.

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member
    One thing I've learned, in almost 4 years of weight loss, is that you have to make continuous tweaks and adjustments to keep making progress. Trim a few calories, change up a workout, eat different things. Shake it up a little.

It seems like the more fit you are, the slower/less results you'll see. When I started losing weight at 250 lbs it just fell off. At 175 the weight stopped coming off, and that's about when I switched to the Primal lifestyle. From there I lost a further 50 lbs. Now I'm back up to 140 through my own slacking. That last 20 or so is hard to shave now. It's very slow, but it's improving. I think the more you build muscle, the more your body composition will change. The actual weight may not, but you'll see changes.

I hope that's coherent. I just woke up.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jodyanne View Post
    I started out 168 pounds with 30% body fat.
    After 6 weeks I was STILL 168 pounds but I had lost 9.5 inches in key sites (an inch off each arm for example and and 4 inches off the waist) and was coming up as 28% body fat. I thought that was ok but not great.
    Another 3 weeks on and I am STILL 168 pounds. I haven't been measured or had body fat done but I don't feel like anything's shifted more in the last 3 weeks.
    I second what DR said. Time to tweak. Track your cals/macros in nutritiondata.self.com It's much more thorough than daily burn, fitday or livestrong) and will give you MUCH more usable data.

Cut some cals daily - then once a week bump them up **with primal food** to keep your body guessing.
    tweak your Ω 3:6 ratio
    quit messing with your insulin with the weekly wheat cheat
    keep your fat intake around 50% average and vary it. sometimes higher sometimes lower.
    eat more veggies
    be sure you're getting enough zinc, selenium, potassium (see my linked doc below) etc
    move more - ie don't sit....standing desk at work (or home)
    test your 25(OH)D levels - see linked doc below and The Vitamin D Thread

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

jodyanne is offline Junior Member
    That's interesting, so maybe I have to bite the bullet and live cleaner than clean if I want to shift things! Very hard to imagine life without the Friday treat but then I suppose I couldn't dream of a day without diet coke two months ago so all things are possible...

Thanks for all the tips diana and cillikat!
    Last edited by jodyanne; 09-03-2010 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Just saw next 2 posts!

GretaLisa is offline Junior Member
    I agree with what the others have posted, and I'll add this: My DH doesn't even really have to try. He can eat sensibly all day and then eat whatever he wants for dinner (seriously - no limits) and lose weight effortlessly. It's SO unfair. So, I guess we ladies just have to accept that it will be harder for us.

I can't tell you what will work for you, but I can tell you what I have to do: cut carbs. More than anything else, this works for me. If I eat fruit & nuts while I trying to shed a few pounds, I stall out completely. If I cut carbs to under 20-30/day, I can get away with a few more calories without being hungry and I can lose. If you've been mostly primal, you've probably already cut out a lot of refined carbs, but you might try cutting them down lower.

Like you, I can't have a cheat day, not really, but sometimes I do go overboard on lower carb primal-friendly foods, and I'm still doing OK. Just my 0.02!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i agree with everyone else, and i'll add this: ignore the scale. you're losing inches, which means the PB is working for you. you actual weight could be a result of increased muscle mass or water retention from the pizza and sweets (very likely as water sticks to carbs). i've lost 150 pounds in the past couple of years, and it's true that it comes right off when you are really over weight. but, once i got under 200 my weight loss slowed wayyyyy down, but i kept getting smaller and feeling much better. except for being frustrated by the scale, how are you feeling?

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    'After 6 weeks I was STILL 168 pounds but I had lost 9.5 inches in key sites' - this is awesome, surely? Sounds to me like you're gaining muscle and losing fat, if your measurements are changing that much. Or maybe I'm just off with measurements...

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Art Devany says that the effects of a sugar hit can take weeks to subside. I used to have waffles once a week and only after I stopped have I been noticing that my belly has started to shrink again. A "grain hit" might be the same.

ekat is offline Junior Member
    4 inches of your waist?!?! That's awesome! I think it sounds like you're doing great, but as others have said, you just might need to be super strict. I've heard people say before that they can only afford the 20% when maintaining, not when trying to lose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast