Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unrealistic expectations? page 2

ericfoster3 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jodyanne View Post
    I had lost 9.5 inches in key sites (an inch off each arm for example and and 4 inches off the waist) and was coming up as 28% body fat. I thought that was ok but not great.
    According to my calculations, you LOST 3.36 POUNDS OF FAT. Even better, you replaced it with muscle.

Suggestions: throw out the scale. buy a measuring tape.

JStrick is offline Senior Member
    Something else to consider, that friday night cheat? Just make it primal!! There are several primal pizza's out there, whether its meatza or an alternative crust recipe! Get creative and make your own!

r_squared02 is offline Member
    I think if you stick with it, you'll get there. I was the same, it was making me CRAZY! People kept commenting that I look like I've lost all this weight, but not one stinking pound! I was in Afghanistan, so I didn't have any of my clothes or even a tape measure, so I didn't know that I had lost inches. Once I put on something other than a uniform, I felt pretty great but was honestly still frustrated that the scale said the same number.

Only recently have I started seeing movement on the scale along with more inches lost. My body LOOKS completely different now though, and I'm really happy about that.

I added some IF, started being more strict with my 20%, and reduced dairy. I think that helped quite a lot.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    How about 3 Fridays this month have a Primal Pizza (I do pizza ingredients on top of either a portobello mushroom or a slice of eggplant) and wine and something a LITTLE sweet (chocolate and nuts, yogurt and honey, a peach, ricotta and blueberries or berries and cream); that should give you enough time to see if that one night is making a difference.

Then on the fourth Friday, you can decide whether you want the Cheat and you can make an informed decision about its worth: does it make a difference? is it worth it?

It seems like you are doing an excellent job anyway. I cheat a lot--but less than I used to--but I think for me the cheating is the thing that keeps me on board, though it keeps me behind, too. To each his own, I guess.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    PB is a lifestyle and a good way of eating. However, I would not call it a diet or weight loss program. I believe if you overeat on any type of food, you will gain weight and can get fat. Alternatively, if you keep your calories in check, you can lose weight eating junk food, McDonalds and all kinds of non-primal foods. PB type foods make eating less more tolerable because it is more satisfying, and you are getting the nutrients your body craves. However, you can't eat everything you want until you are stuffed at every meal. I recommend tracking your calories for a while until you get used to knowing what level of food intake allows you to lose, maintain and gain weight. This can take several months, but it's worth doing and knowing your body.

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    You sound like you may have been sort of skinny fat to begin with..ie not really much muscle underneath. You've got to remember that muscle is six times heavier than fat so it only take a little muscle growth ie 1/2 an inch on your pecs or something to be the equivalent of quite a bit of fat lost. I once worked with a woman who although really slim was shocked to find her body weight was 33% fat. She never exercised and starved herself to stay thin.

eg in volume of say 1 pint of muscle put on is the equivalent of 6 pints volume of fat lost.

You've obviously built muscle mass equivalent in weight to the fat you've lost. The key to seeing that is those inches...wow. Don't worry when your muscles get to a point your body is happy with that growth will slow and as you keep losing fat the scales will start dropping.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Some things that helped me were, giving up coffee- when I did that I lot 5 pounds in one week! Less carbs, more protein.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Lots of good advice here!

I would just like to add, it never helps to compare yourself to others... and MEN in particular seem to have it really easy for weight loss! Don't try to compete with your husband on this one!

Good luck!

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    you're losing inches so right now the number on the scale is just that; a NUMBER

jodyanne is offline Junior Member
    Thank you so much for all the replies guys, I really appreciate the comments and suggestions! I do appreciate that losing those inches was a good move in the right direction and I'm going to try and relax a little about the bloody number on the scales But I do feel like things could be moving faster and, as some of you have said, it's probably the case that 80/20 would be perfect for me if I were maintaining but not while I'm still trying to lose a bit. So I've decided to go for three weeks completely clean food-wise (no cheats, no wine, and even keep the fruit etc right down), putting everything into one of those diet analyser things, and also to try and change up the exercise and get more sleep. We'll see where I get to with that.

The hubbie is already planning a special primal treat for next Friday and says he will stay off the beer in solidarity - awww

Thanks again for all the replies - great support here!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast