Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaining Muscle page

10climbe Guest

While I realize that Mark has covered this topic quite extensively in a previous article, I had one more specific question. Is it necessary to follow a special eating and lifting plan in order to gain lean mass? Assuming that I pay relitively strict attention to the 10 primal laws; I eat enough of the right foods, and exercise correctly(1 day HIIT, 1 Day Sprinting, 2 Days lifting, plus lots of walking) will I naturally gain lean muscle mass?

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

The best way to gain lean muscle mass is to lift heavy things. Following that plan should increase your muscle mass. Of course reducing your body fat percentage is the best way to get sculpted. We all have decent muscle mass on our bodies but it is often covered with fat. Reduce the fat and you'll look more muscular.

Since maintaining muscle takes a lot of energy your body won't do it unless it senses that it is necessary and it is provided the resources. That's why you have to lift heavy two to three times a week and provide it with proper nutrition.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

I agree with DaveFish. Lift heavy things a few times a week and challenge yourself. Couldn't be simpler, but we like to complicate things and meddle with simple processes when we don't see results as quickly as we'd like.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Can you please elaborate on "lifting heavy things"? What is considered heavy lifting?

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Jess- lifting heavy things is weight training that isn't easy for you. Something that you can lift, push or pull for at least 5 times. it should be challenging.

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

Jess, Ecala is right. What's heavy for you might not be heavy for me but that doesn't matter. It should be a challenge for you. Search this site for Slosh Tube, Sledgehammer, and sandbag to get some ideas of Primal heavy lifting. But you can do it with dumbbells too.

A lot of women worry that they will "bulk up" but that is very unlikely to happen. You need a lot of testosterone to build muscle. I recommend lifting a weight that is heavy enough that you can do no more than 8-10 reps without struggling to maintain good form. Some even recommend no more than 5 reps. I don't recommend 12-15 (or more) reps though. If you can do that many reps, the weight isn't heavy enough.

MacaMan Guest

First post

One of the only programs I know of that works for literally everybody that follows it correctly is Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. I'm doing it right now and it's definitely working. It certainly follows the above suggestions of lifting heavy things.

There's a free Starting Strength wiki but I'd definitely recommend buying/borrowing the book. There's 50+ pages on the squat alone.

C2H5OH is offline Senior Member

I do my strenght training with 1 to 5 reps and LOVE it. No sore muscles ever (excluding first week)

I will be normal. I will be NORMAL again
    Yeah!

TaydaTot is offline Junior Member

Rippetoe's Starting Strength is the best beginner's strength training program out there. StrongLifts 5x5 is great too. 10climbe, If you are not following one already I would recommend a barbell training program like Rippetoe or StrongLifts 5x5. Incorporating heavy squats and DLs to your lifting regimen will stimulate enough hormone production to make every muscle in your entire body to grow while making it almost impossible to store body fat.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm trying to regain some lost muscle mass, particularly in my upper body. Here's what I did today; it's different every day:

*Pull-ups/dips 4 super-sets/5-6 reps (Gravitron-assisted-can't quite do a "real" pull-up yet, but getting close).

*Bench Press w/dumbells (don't have a spotter, hate to get caught under a bar) 5 sets/5-6 or until failure.

*Seated tricep extensions 5/5-6

*Squats with barbell, 5 sets/5

*Dead Lifts, 5/5-6

*Run 6 blocks home...stretch, cool down and eat a whole bunch ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast