Thread: Surely this can't be Primal? It tastes too good! page

Ast
    Ast is offline Member

Surely this can't be Primal? It tastes too good!

Shop Now
    I've only just got my copy of The Primal Blueprint so I may have missed something, but this dish tastes pretty rich/sweet (much more than I'm used to) so wondered if it's ok?

Here's the recipe:

Put some olive oil and 12g of butter (I used clarified butter) in a lidded casserole, add some salt n pepper. Add the chicken legs and fry for a few minutes on all sides to brown. Once done remove and put aside.

Add a chopped onion,with another 12g of butter and fry until brown, add a clove of garlic (crushed). After a minute or so, add some mushrooms. After a few minutes add a good few splogs of red wine (I add about an inch and half of the bottle). Reduce for 5 minutes. Add 2 sprigs of thyme. And add some stock (I used home-made vegetable stock - and add enough so it's at least half way up the chicken) and add the chicken and cover and simmer for an hour or so.

When the chicken is done, remove it and then reduce on high heat until the sauce becomes a syrup (the 'fat'/oil begins to separate - just pour that away - and you should ne left with a thick sauce). When done, serve with vegetables or, if you're allowed it - creamy mash (I went for the veg!).

So whaddya think? Could this be primal? If you're not sure, please give it a try and let me know what you think - I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts!

Last edited by Ast; 09-02-2010 at 04:24 PM.
    :-)

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Looks great to me! I love carrots and broccoli. Very healthy!

Ast
    Ast is offline Member
    Hey John, my main concern is the sauce - it tastes quite sweet :-/

Guess I'm also concerned about cooking with olive oil - wonder if I should just use clarified butter or coconut oil instead? And is red wine ok for cooking?

So much to learn

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Wow, that sounds awesome! Sounds pretty Primal to me. (And now I'm all hungry...)

Amanda Grok is offline Junior Member
    Oh wow that sounds soooo good. But how do you make your own vegetable stock?
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"

Ast
    Ast is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Grok View Post
    Oh wow that sounds soooo good. But how do you make your own vegetable stock?
    Well, it's vegetable stock-ish lol

Basically my staple is veg and fish/chicken, and I cook the veg in a casserole dish in the oven - half submerged in water - so it's part boiled part steamed. Once the veg is done I keep the water and keep reusing it - that way the vitamins are not lost and when I need stock I have some.

Not quite your traditional veg stock but it works for me!

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    no flour, no sugar, just a whole lotta awesome.

The sweetness could be from carmelized onion? they get quite sweet when cooked sometimes.

yum!

Bukawww is offline Senior Member
    I would say it is probably in the '100g of carbs/day' category versus the 50g or less/day but it sounds (and LOOKS!) amazing!

I LOVE cooking with wine...I'll have to lose a few more pounds to get to that kind of dinner (at least regularly).

Ast
    Ast is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeThePurple View Post
    Wow, that sounds awesome! Sounds pretty Primal to me. (And now I'm all hungry...)
    Thanks! Please do give it a try - I've edited the recipe a bit to make it a bit easier to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by elwyne View Post
    no flour, no sugar, just a whole lotta awesome.

The sweetness could be from carmelized onion? they get quite sweet when cooked sometimes.

yum!
    They taste sweeter than the normal caramelised onions to me - hence I was curious. Give it a try one day - it's a nice treat (if primal!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bukawww View Post
    I would say it is probably in the '100g of carbs/day' category versus the 50g or less/day but it sounds (and LOOKS!) amazing!

I LOVE cooking with wine...I'll have to lose a few more pounds to get to that kind of dinner (at least regularly).
    Thanks! I guess I need to read more of the book to fully understand the whole x amount of carbs a day. It really does taste nice and I can see how it would go well with Mash!

Is cooking with wine generally not a good idea then?
    Last edited by Ast; 09-02-2010 at 04:27 PM.