Thread: New guy makes some observations page

Optimus Primal is offline Senior Member

New guy makes some observations

Shop Now
    Hi there.

I am new to PB, and still deciding how strictly I'll follow the program. I am sure of two things:
    One - I was a high risk for Type II diabetes the way I was going.
    Two - Whatever intensity I take this on should improve my health.

I chose to approach this from an add-on rather than take-off approach, for now. While I have decided to significantly cut down on sugars and grains, I am not opting to eliminate anything permanently at this time. However, I have chosen to increase my protein, nuts, veggies and fruits. Luckily, while I do like soda, rice, pasta, bread, corn, and a variety of very sweet things, I also really do like almost everything the PB encourages us to have.

So, my wife and I are enjoying more steak and big salads, and experimenting with fruits and other stuff. I cut down on sodas a lot, and other things quite a bit. I have made some observations, now that it's been a couple of weeks:

1) While I still like sodas, I do not as much. For example, I like Pepsi, but lately am either satisfied or sick of it after a quarter can. I toss the rest.
    2) I did like Slurpees a lot, but when I had one this week, it was too sweet, and not that great.
    3) I had my first Wendy's meal in about a month, and it was great!....for about the first three bites. Then it was just there.
    4) Rice is still really good.
    5) I'm really enjoying making and eating my big salads and having more meats.
    6) I have not actually wanted the variety of candies that I typically like, although I have enjoyed dark chocolate covered pomegranate bits.
    7) I thought I'd miss peanuts, but various tree nuts are hitting that spot just fine.
    8) I miss ice cream, but only sometimes. I agreed to sometimes allow myself to have it, but I have not really wanted to lately.
    9) When I do deviate from PB, I don't feel guilty, BUT I do feel annoyed when it's not something I really really want, or if it's poor quality. In other words, I like the PB foods, and, when I do deviate, I want it to be something really good.
    10) I still love chips, but four or five are enough now. I don't want a whole bag.
    11) I had a milkshake, and it did not seem that good. I am relieved that there are Primal fruit smoothies available. I do like fruit.

So, that's where I am so far. I'm committed to change, but not total elimination of non-primal foods. Yet, I tend to enjoy most primal things, and am finding it not too hard to stick with it most of the time. My tastes are changing. I am finding some of my old favorites no longer appeal, while others satisfy me in small rather than large doses.

Oh yeah, I also feel pretty good, less tired.

So, there we are. Observations will continue.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    sounds pretty good!!

I had the same experience; stuff I thought I would miss just wasn't that good anymore. I can't drink juices or sodas AT ALL now, and most sweet things just taste too sweet. Bread/pasta/rice etc. just don't interest me, though I do allow myself a little when they do, but it's rarely really that good. My sister raved about the bread at this one posh restaurant - we grew up in France so we're addicted to really good bread - but it was just kind of "meh" to me. So no loss.

Optimus Primal is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I tried ice cream and magic shell, and enjoyed it. Then I threw out what was left of my stash. It's like I'm trying old favorites and deciding which ones to say goodbye to. Oh, I'll have ice-cream again, but I'll stick to special treats, and keep it out of the house I think. We'll see whether I end up like you, not wanting it at all.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Hi. I bet your tastes will continue to change as your insulin resistence adjusts. You may find yourself becoming more primal as an automatic consequence of this... as you're already experiencing and as a lot of others have described. Who knows? Whatever you do, it's sure to help!

I'm sure you'll still be able to have some "treats" and genuinely enjoy them. Or you may need to find new treats.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you and your wife are off to a wonderful start! As mentioned, your palate will continue to change and many of your favorite non-primal foods may not seem very tasty at all down the road.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Yes, your tastes will continue to change. I have to say, if you believe you are at high diabetes risk, cutting out the slurpees and candy totally ought to be a serious goal whether or not you go full primal. Because eating real food affects your taste buds, it really isn't all that hard for most people.
    Last weekend I had a couple bites of really fresh, hot crusty French bread slathered in butter - something I used to adore. Hadn't eaten any bread at all in months. It tasted - meh, mushy and bland. I was happy there was plenty of veal to eat.

Mav3rick is offline Senior Member
    If you like ice cream you can find ice cream made from coconut milk rather than dairy. That's what I tend to splurge on when I have a sweet attack.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Primal View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I tried ice cream and magic shell, and enjoyed it. Then I threw out what was left of my stash. It's like I'm trying old favorites and deciding which ones to say goodbye to. Oh, I'll have ice-cream again, but I'll stick to special treats, and keep it out of the house I think. We'll see whether I end up like you, not wanting it at all.
    Make your own ice cream with real cream. This way you can control how much sweet it is. I make a quart and only put a 1/3 C of maple syrup in for the sweetness and that is plenty. Could probably go 1/4 cuz real cream is kind of sweet on it's own.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Primal View Post
    Hi there.

I am new to PB, and still deciding how strictly I'll follow the program. I am sure of two things:
    One - I was a high risk for Type II diabetes the way I was going.
    Two - Whatever intensity I take this on should improve my health.

I chose to approach this from an add-on rather than take-off approach, for now. While I have decided to significantly cut down on sugars and grains, I am not opting to eliminate anything permanently at this time. However, I have chosen to increase my protein, nuts, veggies and fruits. Luckily, while I do like soda, rice, pasta, bread, corn, and a variety of very sweet things, I also really do like almost everything the PB encourages us to have.

So, my wife and I are enjoying more steak and big salads, and experimenting with fruits and other stuff. I cut down on sodas a lot, and other things quite a bit. I have made some observations, now that it's been a couple of weeks:

1) While I still like sodas, I do not as much. For example, I like Pepsi, but lately am either satisfied or sick of it after a quarter can. I toss the rest.
    2) I did like Slurpees a lot, but when I had one this week, it was too sweet, and not that great.
    3) I had my first Wendy's meal in about a month, and it was great!....for about the first three bites. Then it was just there.
    4) Rice is still really good.
    5) I'm really enjoying making and eating my big salads and having more meats.
    6) I have not actually wanted the variety of candies that I typically like, although I have enjoyed dark chocolate covered pomegranate bits.
    7) I thought I'd miss peanuts, but various tree nuts are hitting that spot just fine.
    8) I miss ice cream, but only sometimes. I agreed to sometimes allow myself to have it, but I have not really wanted to lately.
    9) When I do deviate from PB, I don't feel guilty, BUT I do feel annoyed when it's not something I really really want, or if it's poor quality. In other words, I like the PB foods, and, when I do deviate, I want it to be something really good.
    10) I still love chips, but four or five are enough now. I don't want a whole bag.
    11) I had a milkshake, and it did not seem that good. I am relieved that there are Primal fruit smoothies available. I do like fruit.

So, that's where I am so far. I'm committed to change, but not total elimination of non-primal foods. Yet, I tend to enjoy most primal things, and am finding it not too hard to stick with it most of the time. My tastes are changing. I am finding some of my old favorites no longer appeal, while others satisfy me in small rather than large doses.

Oh yeah, I also feel pretty good, less tired.

So, there we are. Observations will continue.
    I am borderline type II diabetic. My approach has been similar to yours and after about 3 months, I am doing great.

Carbs like rice, corn and oats still taste just as good to me and I hope they always do. I have some of one of those daily. I had already given up wheat. I would urge you to do the same. Good bread and pizza crust still taste great but it isn't worth the cost.

You can do 4 or 5 chips?!!! Wow! That many won't hurt you. But you may find primal chips you like.

As others have said, you do need to dump the sweets or find alternatives like those mentioned. I love diet colas and still have a few. Mainly I have seltzer water, which is probably a no no too, but I don't intend to give it up.

You are doing great! Keep it up!