Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to keep kids lunch warm? page

scubasam is offline Senior Member

How to keep kids lunch warm?

Shop Now
    I just found out that our school is allowing kids to bring meat lunches twice a week (rest of week has to be dairy or neutral), which makes my life a lot easier but they do not allow microwave use to warm up food.

So I have no idea how to pack warm lunch for her. I would love to do shiritake mushrooms and meatballs, chicken, pizza from almond flour etc. Cold stuff and soup is not an issue as I have a kids thermos, but what do I do for the food items?

Cannot find anything online that is in stock now to order. Ideas?

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    I like Mr. Bento.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    They can only bring meat twice a week??? Whose rule is that????? And WHY??????????? And WTH is "neutral" food?????????????????????

Anyway...

Have you considered cold meat possiblities? Cold chicken is tasty, as is avocado or cheese rolled in deli meat. Ham cubes. Cold, cooked bacon on apple slices. Tuna or salmon salad. Chilled sliced steak with guacamole for dipping.

Also, some of those "cold-pack" things that most people use for keeping food cold can also be microwaved and used as hot packs. However, I'm not sure they'd be anything close to warm enough to keep food in a safe temp range all morning.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    I'd just use the thermos. I found a more short/squat-fat/round one at Target for $15. It had a divider segment inside that can be removed to reveal a larger compartment for soup or whatever. It's 24-ounce capacity. Black. Alladin brand.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

@Egoldstein, I will look at Mr Bento, thanks for the suggestion.

@Barbeygirl, it's a Jewish school, so there are many dietary restrictions, some of which include all food has to be kosher, and there are two days one can bring meat to school, otherwise it has to be dairy or parve (which means neutral, so no meat or milk in ingredients).

At least they are giving us the 2 days for meat, lol! Cold meat is definitely an option. My DD loves turkey breast and chicken, so I will give her ingredients to make her own wraps with lettuce, but also want to be able to send her with hot food when it gets cold here.

They also have a pizza day every Wed where you can order them pizza and I don't want her to feel left out if all the kids are eating pizza, so I want to be able to send her with almond flour pizza (or at least gluten free pizza dough) on those days.

Kristy2078 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    They can only bring meat twice a week??? Whose rule is that????? And WHY??????????? And WTH is "neutral" food?????????????????????
    If I remember correctly, the OP has a child in a Jewish school.

But I was thinking going without meat for one meal shouldn't really be an issue as long as a kid likes various other foods, like fruits, veggies, cheeses, yogurt, avocados, ricotta cheese, mock breads, etc. A loaded omelette would make a nice lunch any day.

I just looked at the bento box, and it would be ideal for her (except for the pizza, gotta figure that one out still). Thanks for the suggestions!

@ Kristy, what is a mock bread and how do I make it? I have Mark's book and I have an almond flour cook book, but my kids hate the bread from the almond flour (love the crackers though).

Eatmydust is offline Senior Member
    Look in the store like fred meyers or shopko where the thermos brand is they make short small
    ones for kids food or bigger ones for adults, you put boiling water in them for about 5 min.'s
    then dump hot food in keeps it hot tell lunch hr. you can also put them in frig. and put cold stuff in like salads
    wraps and such..

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scubasam View Post

it's a Jewish school, so there are many dietary restrictions, some of which include all food has to be kosher, and there are two days one can bring meat to school, otherwise it has to be dairy or parve (which means neutral, so no meat or milk in ingredients)
    Ahhhhhhhhh. Whew! I was afraid it was some nutty decision by a public school board...for the kids' "health."
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Kristy2078 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by scubasam View Post
    @ Kristy, what is a mock bread and how do I make it? I have Mark's book and I have an almond flour cook book, but my kids hate the bread from the almond flour (love the crackers though).
    Ha well, I use 'mock bread' as a general term for all the alternatives out there that don't use wheat flour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast