Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 32 days in and close to bailing out page

timbrownson is offline Member

32 days in and close to bailing out

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    4 weeks 3 days in and I'm still in the carb flu stage, if that is what it is. I have no idea if there's something else going on, although I had some bloodwork done for a physical the other week and it was all normal.

My wife is through it and feeling better, but I have some ok days, some bad days and some terrible days. There seems to be no logic, each time I think I'm coming through it I feel bad the following day.

Has anybody experienced it going on this long before?

I've been fairly good with my diet. Not eaten any bread, pasta, confectionery/candy, rice or grains. Had potatoes once on a celebratory meal out.

We're not eating all grass fed beef as we can't afford it, but all our mince is gf and we have bought some gf steaks. Eating a lot of really good quality bacon and free range organic eggs though.

For the first 3 weeks I had no dairy and I have introduced some butter from an organic far, and a little bit of cream and cheese, but no milk as that doesn't like me.

I'm not eating much fruit other than tomatoes, although I am having a few strawberries here and there and having the very occasional glass of OJ (about twice per week).

Having said that I have been having a green smoothie for breakfast mixed with a high quality cod liver oil and Green Vibrance - that is packed with nutrients and according to 2 independent alternative health experts I've spoken to about the best supplement money can buy. Maybe this is a mistake?

I'm pretty sure I'm getting enough animal fat and I'm exercising regularly with a lower intensity workout than I was doing before.

Sleep is all over the place and struggling to nap when I am tired.

I'm so disappointed because I was pumped about this and I'm really thinking of quitting because I cannot go on like this indefinitely.

Any ideas on things I can change gratefully received.

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    Fitday. You may just not be eating enough calories, or the wrong types of calories. That said, I haven't personally experienced "boundless energy" or anything of the sort while eating this way. I frequently drag unless I make certain I'm eating enough carbs.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    +1 on tracking your food for a while. that sounds like an awfully long time to be in carb flu, and from what you've listed as your diet, it seems like you've been at this for years.
    are you taking any supplements at all? fish oil, vit. D, acidophilus? it's possible that--along with calories, perhaps--you're just missing something. it might take you a little while to figure out what that is, but don't give up on the PB just yet. once you start feeling better you will feel better than you ever have

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    Post what you are actually eating and then some of us will probably comment.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I would hate to see you give up. Let us all know some specific meals - ones that are more common and more people will be able to help. You say your sleep is all over the place which is one of the 10 primal blueprint laws - get adequate sleep. Maybe that is the only problem?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

In answer to primalrob, I'm taking cod liver oil each day and the green vibrance stuff that as I said is supposed to be amazing.

Yesterday I had the following

Green smoothie for breakfast and then some almonds mid morning.
    Lunch was cauliflower rice and thai salmon curry with coconut milk from the previous night
    Had some more almonds and maybe half a dozen strawberries in the afternoon
    Transgressed a tad by having some vegetable chips. Ingredients are good but I know this isn't really primal as processing is involved
    Diner was two eggs, two sausages (from Whole Foods, no additives or mixers and pork only skins), some bacon, mushrooms and organic tomatoes.

Moreorless every evening meal involves something from Mark's cookbook unless it's a basic fry up like the one above. Breakfast is mainly eating what is left as my wife is cooking more than we need so we can do this.

I am drinking coffee when I get up with coconut milk and this definitely IS a crutch and I know Mark says only drink it because you enjoy it. Well I do love coffee, but at the moment I honestly don't know how I'd get anything done without it.

I have had a beer a couple of evenings and that is when I feel best. Not sure if this is psychological, the alcohol or maybe even that rush of carbs? It is my 20% part and I'd hate to give that up completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post
    I would hate to see you give up. Let us all know some specific meals - ones that are more common and more people will be able to help. You say your sleep is all over the place which is one of the 10 primal blueprint laws - get adequate sleep. Maybe that is the only problem?
    You could well be right. I fully appreciate the importance of sleep to cognitive function etc. I've always been a poor sleeper, even as a teenager amazingly enough! But at the moment it's worse and I'm waking up exhausted, even when I've had 8 hours! I'm sure I'm just not getting quality sleep. I've even thought of asking for a sleep study.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    It took me a full four to five weeks to steady out on PB. Also, as I have been on PB longer, I have less tolerance for beer. You may have to switch to wine. I think Tequila is primal too...

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by timbrownson View Post
    You could well be right. I fully appreciate the importance of sleep to cognitive function etc. I've always been a poor sleeper, even as a teenager amazingly enough! But at the moment it's worse and I'm waking up exhausted, even when I've had 8 hours! I'm sure I'm just not getting quality sleep. I've even thought of asking for a sleep study.
    I started supplementing with magnesium, and since then my sleep has been much better.

Last night I had a 5HTP and ZMA capsule I'd ordered a couple of days previously and was out like a light.

Your food is probably fine!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    It took me a good 6-8 weeks to get past the low-carb flu. I felt exactly as you describe, including the unpredictable schedule of better and worse days.

I concur with the recommendations for magnesium supps and finding ways to improve sleep quantity and quality.

Your meals look pretty good as far as quality; are you eating enough quantity? I eat more than that (unless your portions are huge)! Also, a lot of "green smoothies" are very high carb -- for me, starting the day with one would result in carb crashing and craving for the rest of the day. Have you tried a 4-egg omelette or something else high in fat and protein instead of the smoothie?
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 09-02-2010 at 11:36 AM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast