Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 32 days in and close to bailing out page 2

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You might try adding in just a bit more carbohydrates, in the form of berries or sweet potatoes. Yes, it can make weight loss slower (if that is what your goal is), but it is worth it if it makes a primal diet more sustainable in the long run.

soror is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried lowering the carbs? I used to do green smoothies for b-fast all the time, but anymore I cannot handle that much sugar off the bat. I do best with zero carb or pretty close to it for bfast- or else I end up sluggish all day. Just a thought. Magnesium could help as well of course. I like carbs closer to bed as then I sleep better then, so that works for me anyway.

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    You have sleep problems and you still want your coffee? Seriously this made a *huge* difference for me. Doesn't for everyone, but if you are having major problems it is really worth thinking about a 30 day decaf.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by timbrownson View Post
    In answer to primalrob, I'm taking cod liver oil each day and the green vibrance stuff that as I said is supposed to be amazing.

Yesterday I had the following

Green smoothie for breakfast and then some almonds mid morning etc"

Lunch was cauliflower rice and thai salmon curry with coconut milk from the previous night
    Had some more almonds and maybe half a dozen strawberries in the afternoon
    Transgressed a tad by having some vegetable chips. Ingredients are good but I know this isn't really primal as processing is involved
    Diner was two eggs, two sausages (from Whole Foods, no additives or mixers and pork only skins), some bacon, mushrooms and organic tomatoes.

Moreorless every evening meal involves something from Mark's cookbook unless it's a basic fry up like the one above. Breakfast is mainly eating what is left as my wife is cooking more than we need so we can do this.

I am drinking coffee when I get up with coconut milk and this definitely IS a crutch and I know Mark says only drink it because you enjoy it. Well I do love coffee, but at the moment I honestly don't know how I'd get anything done without it.

I have had a beer a couple of evenings and that is when I feel best. Not sure if this is psychological, the alcohol or maybe even that rush of carbs? It is my 20% part and I'd hate to give that up completely.
    Well I could NOT survive on your breakfast. I have 2 sausages, 1 egg, heap of spinach and about 5 grilled cherry tomatoes, pat of butter on SPinach. Or liver in place of the sausages.

Lunch - chicken or salmon or prawns, heap of salad. ~Possibly berries and heavy cream.

Dinner, one of pork, or beef, or chicken, or salmon - about 6 oz of any one, with at least two different veg, lots of each, and some roast sweet potato if I've been feeling at all "frail". All cooked in animal fat, butter or coconut oil.

Comes to between 2000 / 2600 calories per day, of which between 70 / 120 usually is carbs.

Less calories than that and I just feel washed up, cold and unable to function.

Steve-in-MN is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soror View Post
    Have you tried lowering the carbs? I used to do green smoothies for b-fast all the time, but anymore I cannot handle that much sugar off the bat. I do best with zero carb or pretty close to it for bfast- or else I end up sluggish all day. Just a thought. Magnesium could help as well of course. I like carbs closer to bed as then I sleep better then, so that works for me anyway.
    +1 Could be the smoothie being too high in carbs, getting you off on the wrong foot with a carb hangover for the rest of the day. The cod liver oil you add probably helps with making it not so glycemic though. I agree with the others suggesting whole food with fat and protein for breakfast instead. Or you could try skipping it altogether in leangains IF fashion. I've been taking ZMA at night too, and the magnesium really helps provide solid sleep (and I still drink several cups of coffee daily). Maybe up your Vitamin D intake? Might be prudent to get that checked.
    Last edited by Steve-in-MN; 09-02-2010 at 09:22 AM.

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    It's not bad
    breakfast fruit (?), veggies, nuts
    Lunch fish, cauli, good fat - Good
    snack nuts & fruit
    dinner 2 eggs, 2 sausages, bacon, veggies - OK

How much protein was this? Is this a typical day? If you aren't sleeping well, you might need more. I would replace the calories from nuts with more protein. 2 oz almonds is like 300 calories and for that you could have 4-6oz of ground beef (depending on lean or not) and get a lot more protein. Also I assume you are eating red meat at least some of the time?

Just guest-imating with grams from daily burn but
    6 oz salmon = 34 grams protein
    2 eggs = 12 gr
    2 pork sausages = 30 gr
    Total about 75 grams. Possibly on the low side.

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    I have had horrible insomnia since starting primal. Does anyone have tips for that?

rabbidchicken69 is offline Senior Member
    When i first started off primal the vlc flu laste for about 5 or 6 weeks what made me pull out of it was i started tracking on fitday and found out i was only getting like 1200 to 1300 calories a day almost no carbs like 15 to 30 grams and not alot of protein so i upped my carbs to between 50 and 75 grams and my protein and fat and felt tons better within a few days.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    How is your sleep. This is so important.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    That seems like too little food. I'm guessing I eat way more than that, and I still barely come in at over 2000 cals per day. One way to make sure you really feel like crap is to try to do low carb with heavily restricted cals. You can lose a lot of weight quickly that way, but you will feel like death warmed over (IMO, IME, YMMV, etc).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast