Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: talking about going primal page

metrophage Guest

Shop Now

Do you tell people about going primal?

What reaction do you get?

Do you think mopst people can overcome their views conventional wisdom?

Anyone told their doctor and what reaction did you get?

I am interested as some people I sepak to "get it" and others are like "thats dangerous" "you'll make yor self ill/fat" etc.

jpippenger Guest

I spoke to one doctor about it and he seemed to think I'm nuts. I told another doctor and he said, it makes sense, try it. Not sure if her truly agreed with me, or if he just didn't want to hear me go on about it anymore.

metrophage Guest

I imagine it must be hard for dr's to be contrarian to the message Governments have been pushing.

There was an interesting series here in the UK refcently looking at the impact young peoples behaviour was having on the hospital. One episode was on teenage obesity. One surgeon who was the leading gastric bypass surgeon commented on peoples eating habits that they eat "beige food", and he thought that was the cause of the obesity problems "beige food" - eg sandwiches/biscuits/crisps/chips or all our favourite carbs!

He ate a tin of tuna for his lunch. All the overwight nurses were chomping on crisps and sandwiches.

dalvarez Guest

Interesting topic, some folks just don't know anything about nutrition and/or eating clean. Many complain and complain about having that extra inch around the waist, but as soon as you approach them with a solution you get the "look" --lol

jpippenger Guest

What really frightens me is the number of overweight doctors. You'd think if they really knew what they were talking about they would be examples of good health. The only doctor that I have ran into of late that was in good shape was the one that told me to try eating primal if it was working.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Most people think I'm crazy when I tell them how I eat. Half of my family assumes I'm either starving myself or on a crash diet, all becaues I don't eat grains. "Oh, you don't eat THAT, EITHER!?" Hey, it's their dirty diet, not mine.

Dalvarez, you nailed it. My mother's exactly that way. She complains about her weight but then goes on to eat 3 slices of raisin bread with jam. Drives me crazy.

Jpippenger, I generally don't trust doctors for that exact reason.

metrophage Guest

You would think I have an (unfortunate) advantage in that my partnet is coeliac, so there is evidence of carb/gluten = bad . But most people don't seem to make the connection.

I think the freaky thing for most people is that of eating fat, and it being good for you. The low fat diet has been drilled into us for so long by so many people, that the majority of people just can't comprehend it.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

The transition from a high-carb/low-fat diet to primal could be compared to the transition from fundamentalist theism to atheism.

In both cases, "the look" I get tends to result in a patronizing blessing.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

musajen is offline Junior Member

When I first started seeing a new doctor about a year ago, I told him my plan for a diet (way pre-primal...hadn't gotten there yet) was to eat protein, veggies, fruits, and healthy fats, stay away from processed junk and limit grains.

His main comment was to tell me I NEEDED some grains in my diet.

Fast forward about 8 months and I didn't do the diet I'd mentioned, in fact, I subsisted on fast food and processed junk for a good portion of my diet. Some stressful things also happened that led to a 20 lb weight loss.

My dr walked into the room praising my lab results and psyched about my weight loss. My HDL had jumped about 10 points and LDL had increased a little but didn't worry him.

All the while I was thinking, "if only you knew that my high fat fast food diet was to thank for those elevated HDL numbers." But I didn't have the nerve to actually say it...wanted to avoid a lecture.

When I get around to seeing the dr again I'm going to shout from the rooftops that my diet is about 60% fat (including sat fats), grain/starch free, and AWESOME.

metrophage Guest

PrimalCon New York
    [quote]

The transition from a high-carb/low-fat diet to primal could be compared to the transition from fundamentalist theism to atheism.

In both cases, "the look" I get tends to result in a patronizing blessing. </blockquote>

great answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast