Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exercise Myth... page

Douaron1 Guest

Primal Fuel

Marc's new post made me think of this one:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html

Wow, great news for me...and my couch and TV company !!

Look at the examples of what the food was that these people were eating 'more' of after exercising. Muffins. Starbucks, etc.

When you combine crap food with exercise in your studies, of course the results will be 'exercise does not help with fat-loss', which I agree with the statement, but not the overall concept of exercise burns excess calories = losing weight.

As we all VERY well know. Diet is 80% (if not 85 - 90%, in my honest opinion) the solution to weight-loss.

I was battling my post-baby weight and couldn't exercise because of the lovely birthing process' toll on my body, but combined with the breast feeding and healthier diet, I dropped pounds.

I even have body-builder/ figure competitor friends who claim to do VERY little cardio, while still lifting heavy weights and eating low-carb. Let's just say that I WISH I had their low body-fat percentage!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Beat you to it five days ago:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-You-Thin-quot

Sassy, it's not just what they are eating, it's the fact that they are eating. It's all in the story.

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

Even if exercising doesn't make you more hungry, the # of calories you burn while exercising is very small compared to how much you can put right back on by not watching your diet.

Running for 1 hour can burn maybe 500-600 calories.

And 1 doughnut/bagel/hamburger can easily put that right back on.

And if you're considering that a "cheat" and eating everything else equal, then yea, you'll have a hard time losing weight.

That's also not taking into the equation all the nasty insulin spiking sugars/carbs which make it even harder to lose fat.

If you combine that with someone who is already overweight and insulin resistant, then things get even more tricky.

And if they're eating lots of grains with gluten/lectins that can log up your system and bind to your insulin receptors... just another cog in the wheel.

Additionally, if their omega 6 fatty acids are too high then they could be suppressing their thyroid function...

The list goes on and on, and the only real easy and efficient way to address most those issues is to do something like a Primal/Paleo diet with low carbs.

Exercise is secondary for sure. It just can't get to all the underlying causes of why many people are overweight to begin with.

-Sean

Sorry, but I REALLY find the ENTIRE calories-in, calories-out 'thing' TOTALLY debunked. Really.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

I read this article today on the myth of calories in/calories out...Found it to be quite interesting...

http://migraineur.wordpress.com/2007/11/11/calories-in-calories-out/

"Letís just say that studies have been done where participants were put on high-fat diets containing 3,000, 5,000, or even 10,000 calories per day and maintained stable weights or even lost weight without increasing their activity levels." ....Kick ass!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I remember the first time I did an hour of hard and hot walking over the Ringling Causeway and back, twice, three miles total. This was when I was just starting my diet.

I came home, plugged in the info and found out that I burned a whopping 150 calories. Wow, a freakin' can of beer compared to sitting in the A/C surfing the internet.

That's when I knew exercise was highly overrated for weight loss. Only later did I find out about fat preservation and increased hunger as effects of hard exercise.

Fisch Guest

lol, ok all you guys stop working out and stick to your primal diet and see what happens. You really think eating a diet that gets half its calories from fat and not working out will yield good results? What do you think is happening to your insides? Good luck with that! I'll be at the gym...

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

Fisch, I'm a newly minted zero carber going on two months, and on a typical day I get anywhere from 60 to 80 percent of my calories from (saturated animal) fat. Everyone who says I should be eating fiber apparently worries about what's happening to my insides, but I've had no gastrointestinal problems to speak of. Regarding exercise and weight/fat loss, I still have a bit of stubborn spare tire, but I can see the most obvious changes "in between" intense workouts, during the days I'm recovering. My sessions are no more than 20 minutes in duration and no more often than twice a week, consisting of bodyweight exercises (gymnastic conditioning moves, ow!), heavy weight lifting (low reps), and once a week brief sprints (barefoot, toe-heel). On the days I don't work out, I alternate between walking, gardening, and resting if I feel overly sore.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I see a lot of folks on Charles Washington's Zeroing In On Health site who have trouble losing weight until they decrease or sometimes even TEMPORARILY eliminate exercise, until they reach their desired weight. Taubes pretty thoroughly debunked the notion that exercise helps with weight loss, but that doesn't mean there aren't many other good reasons to do it. The point should be to do it smarter, in a way that promotes optimal health and body composition. Low carbers and primal leaning folks should already be at least somewhat accustomed to going "against the grain" of conventional wisdom. But really, even though it's only a study size of one, in the end the best test is to experiment on yourself. No matter what anyone else says you should and shouldn't eat, only you can judge how it makes you feel when you eat it...

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

Fisch their insides will be just fine. As Mark says 80% of your body composition is based on what you eat.

I read somewhere that eating properly makes you look good with clothes on. Eating properly and exercise makes you look good with your clothes off. I believe that is pretty accurate.

By the way I just finished reading this great article by Gary Taubes. It was written seven years ago but is still very relevant:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/ma...l?pagewanted=1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast