Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Groks vs Grokettes page

Sanas is offline Senior Member

Groks vs Grokettes

I'm wondering if there's a difference between the way men and women respond to the PB? It seems (I think) that the women have a harder time feeling better as fast . . . and are having more trouble with depression and maybe thyroid issues. Do we need to modify in some way? I know Sarah the Editor said something in her post about what's in her fridge that some of her friends are needing a little bit of fructose still.

Love Mark's wisdom and advice, though.

Kristy2078 Guest
    Women go through more hormonal rollercoasters, including PCOS. Men don't have ovaries :P It is a theory that many of the cases where women killed someone else or went on a rampage did so because of their menstrual cycles throwing their logic out the window. Don't ever cross a woman!

Most of thyroid disorders are autoimmune (I have Hashi's) and having one makes it more likely to have another condition linked. Though, men are as likely to have thyroid disorders as well, if only a little less likely.

Then there's the thing about serotonin, a mood booster. Carbs will push a surge of serotonin, and some people can get crabby if they don't have carbs. People have to figure out what their bodies need.

FlamingAndromeda is offline Senior Member
    I have to say, after a couple of weeks I seem to be terminally grumpy with everyone and I really hate it!! I'm not usually like this. I just hope there's something I'm missing and will figure it out soon!

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    FlamingAndromeda, that's just the kind of thing I'm wondering about! What Kristy says about serotonin and carbs might be what's bothering you. I don't know if it's women, or people who are naturally low in seratonin, or what, but I know I was on a total rollercoaster of feeling good, euphoric even, after a big carb fest, and then like grey death when I cut them out. I was managing my feeling of well-being by eating or not eating carbs. I actually read quite a bit about the physiology of "sugar sensitivity" at this site

http://www.radiantrecovery.com/

and I think it's right on.

I've been eating almost 100% primal for a couple of months now. Last week, dh was at a conference and I went along. Fell off the wagon and ate lots of sugar and caffeine. It's taken me the better part of a week to feel halfway human again after 3 days of carbs. I won't have to do that too many times until I'm cured for good.

The radiant recovery lady has a protocol for raising your serotonin levels naturally -- but it involves eating a bit of potato before you go to bed. You could maybe try it? (It has to be 3 hours after a big bunch of protein.) Or you could just tough it out. I think your mood will improve sooner or later.

FlamingAndromeda is offline Senior Member
    I subscribe to Kathleen's newsletters but rarely read them these days...I was big in to her about five/six years back with the whole sugar addict thing and used to eat my nightly baked potato with butter...but haven't paid much attention since then. Potatoes are my favourite...I actually just munched out on a whole pile of potato chips this afternoon...and am curious as to how that will make me feel.

There is so much to understand science-wise with how all this works and I find myself getting confused...however the Primal Blueprint just feels right to be doing and it's by far the easiest, simplest of any food thing I've ever done...I don't really even feel guilty about the chips - they were good and I enjoyed them immensely!! So I'm not going to give up...and if I find I need a potato here or there to pick me up then I shall...

Thanks for the reminder/information Sanas!

Victoria is offline Senior Member
    I haven't noticed a huge difference mentally/emotionally speaking, but the weight is not dropping off as fast as several guys on this board are reporting.

Carb wise I have absolutely no desire for any grain product (yay!). I make sure I eat veggies and/or berries with every meal. I mix my veggies up to stop myself getting bored. Occasionally I eat sweet potatoes when I need an extra boost, but it's not often.
    "For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

My Facebook (please send a message to introduce yourself though!)

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    It's definitely true that I can thrive on a far lower-carb diet than wifey Fist (I say 'far lower' in the context of us both eating Primal, she still eats low carb). Any biological/evolutionary evidence for this, I wonder?

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    We've talked about this a bit in the past. In some ways, from an evolutionary perspective, it makes sense that women, who may have been doing the majority of gathering (think plants--carbs!) were also snacking while gathering. (Have you ever picked strawberries and not eaten a couple?) If men were the ones hunting for the most part, they may have needed to do longer IFs while on the hunt--no stopping to grab a handful of berries from a nearby bush when chasing a fast moving meal! On the lean gains site, Martin suggests women fast for a shorter amount of time than men b/c it seems more difficult for women to hold out for long fasts.

I find this stuff all very fascinating. It seems pregnant primal women tend to crave more carbs than they normally do, and although I realize carbs are *not* necessary for life in general, I wonder if women's optimum diet is slightly different (and more carb inclusive) than men's. I also notice huge changes in the amount and type of food I crave at different points in my cycle, which is something Grokette may have dealt with, and Grok probably did not.

It all comes back to you--what diet do *you* feel best eating. I think sticking to primal foods and staying within Mark's carb range for maintance levels gives a fair amount of carbs to most folks. Many of the forumers here are way lower carb than the PB says you need to be, and I don't know that this *is* optimum for *everyone*. I've still never stuck to VLC for long yet, ever--be it willpower or just not right for me... I just feel a lot better personally eating tons of veggies, some fruit as long as it is close to meals or protein/fat rich snacks, and a small amount of nuts for carbs, and almost no tubers. (Tubers I find fascinating though, and go back and forth on them in my mind.) I also always eat in the least 100 g carbs a day, but probably hang out closer to the 150 range. I'm not trying to lose weight--working more on body comp now, and just trying to follow my body.

Watching this thread w/ interest! I would LOVE to read some science on this topic!!!! Much of what I've read, and thought, is really anecdotally based, or just my own musings from *my* own experience.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Right on, FairyRae. I definitely find that my cravings change throughout my cycle. I try to listen to my body as much as possible, which usually means eating around 100 g of carbs daily, but upping carbs (as well as total calories) for a few days around my period.

As for how Grokettes vs. Groks respond to the PB, I have noticed that women have a harder time dropping weight than men in general, especially if they are already in a healthy weight range. Admittedly, my observations are based on a small non-random sample, but it also makes a degree of sense from an evolutionary standpoint, since women do require a certain amount of fat for fertility. On the other hand, I also seem to be more sensitive to carbohydrates than my husband, and have experienced a more significant benefit from cutting them than he has.

Katt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    It's definitely true that I can thrive on a far lower-carb diet than wifey Fist (I say 'far lower' in the context of us both eating Primal, she still eats low carb). Any biological/evolutionary evidence for this, I wonder?
    It is the opposite with my husband and myself. I can thrive on far fewer carbs than he without having any issues.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast