Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Groks vs Grokettes page 3

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am fairly certain that diet has a different effect.

Long ago, in old English, wait a sec,

Let me make sure that door is unlocked and nothing is in the way.

OK, where was I, oh, yea, in old English everyone was 'man'. To differentiate, they added husband-man for the man that provided and protected, and wife man for the man that bore children and nourished.

Over time the awkward 'husband man' and 'wife man' were shortened. Wife man became woman. Husband man became human.

I would imagine that humans and 'womans' would have different dietary needs.

Uh, gotta go, see ya.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanas View Post
    The radiant recovery lady has a protocol for raising your serotonin levels naturally -- but it involves eating a bit of potato before you go to bed. You could maybe try it? (It has to be 3 hours after a big bunch of protein.)
    Folks who have done this, does this seem to help you? I find it fascinating! Prob. because a. I don't really ever crave carbs during the day. Ever. Although they are part of my meals, and I will eat them, but I'm not dying to have them. And B. I crave carbs like a maniac in the evening, a couple hours after dinner. Potatoes are sometimes all I think about. I figured its related to not trying to go low carb enough/stick to it enough for long enough, and not eating enough animal protein fat at dinner, although I try to... But this all really makes me wonder...?

Would sweet potatoes work? And does anyone know why on the site she recommends eating the skin? That is something many folks have said Grok would NOT have done, as the skin would have been burned up while cooking...

Very interesting!!

And a side note, my dh craves and eats WAY more carbs than me, BUT, he is totally NOT primal, nor trying to be. I believe if he switched to primal this could totally change. So I wouldn't compare myself to him in that manner unless he was fully primal.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanas View Post
    I'm wondering if there's a diff erence between the way men and women respond to the PB? It seems (I think) that the women have a harder time feeling better as fast
    While adapting to ketosis had 8 weeks of hellish insomnia, anxiety and 4 weeks of migraines.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Jason VT is offline Senior Member
    The liklihood of women having thyroid issues does seem to be higher for whatever reason. One thing that Mark touched on a while back is to watch your salt ratios, ie add iodine to your diet in an effort to boost your thyroid processes. Also, one more thing to check out would be your gut acid (I've been catching up on the Robb Wolf podcasts lately). Most of us in our efforts to eat clean tend to cut out salts and to eat too much meat & cruciferous vegetables (in relation to "other" veggies) all of which can easily stall fat loss and nutrient absorption.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason VT View Post
    The liklihood of women having thyroid issues does seem to be higher for whatever reason. One thing that Mark touched on a while back is to watch your salt ratios, ie add iodine to your diet in an effort to boost your thyroid processes. Also, one more thing to check out would be your gut acid (I've been catching up on the Robb Wolf podcasts lately). Most of us in our efforts to eat clean tend to cut out salts and to eat too much meat & cruciferous vegetables (in relation to "other" veggies) all of which can easily stall fat loss and nutrient absorption.
    I seriously need to hand out in the odds and ends thread more often!!! Regarding the serotonin levels… it has been my ‘witnessed’ and experience that when serotonin levels are low the body will biologically crave carbs UNLESS you have a passage malfunction in the blood brain barrier. So, if you wife or husband ‘craves’ carbs and could do the atkins diet for a short period, as long as they knew there was a funnel cake at the end because they would be mentally a mess.
    My dad for example, weight flies off him on atkins and he’s not even fat or at all overweight. He has anxiety/cortisol/panic/worry problems and hes one of the high strung cortisol people who doesn’t gain weight from the constant rise(?) but when he does atkins he cant wait to dig into ice cream when he is done(although it helps his horrendous knees/joints).
    My mom on the other hand, one day in with eggs and tuna salad and she is fine, admits she feels great, has no appetite and is full of energy.
    My dad has low serotonin but the ‘feel good’ aminos cross his blood brain barrier with carbs and raise serotonin as they should. My mom…well shes about as normal as you get. MEEE on the other hand, whacked out serotonin and nothing really helps. I have tried amino supplementation, carbs, potatos, everything. There isnt anythign that actually makes me feel better, I need to make myself feel better. I don’t crave anythign at all. I think that why when I was suffering anorexia everything was so easy, I never craved fat/protein/carbs, nothing.
    If I had a normal blood brain barrier passage-way then I would be one of those people who ‘could never be anorexic but wish they could’ if you have heard people say that and carbs would have an effect on my serotonin levels, but they don’t and I can starve while feeling just fine. Actually, in my experience starving myself made me happy and with more energy and clearer skin but obviously… it came with a shitload of health consequences and near death4 times so im not going back. I just wish I knew the answer…

anyways, can you expand on the gut acid a bit?

Jason VT is offline Senior Member
    Sweet nectar of Lucifer MalPaz! I would love to expand on the gut acid topic, but I'm afraid that I'll mangle it. Just check out Loren Cordain's website where he actually has a link specifically for gut acid levels (though I tend not to agree with his Saturated Fat stance). Also download Robb Wolf's "The Paleolithic Solution" podcasts.

My general thoughts regarding your situation is that you need to go hardcore Primal for a few weeks regarding your diet. I would eat lots of grass-fed red meats as I'm a big believer in CLA consumption along with completely cutting nuts, dairy, alcohol (sorry) and artificial sweetners. Pay strict attention to your macronutrient ratios to ensure you get enough protein and eat a wide variety of vegetables. Take some probiotics. You may want to add some salt and iodine to some of your meals. After a few weeks you should be able to add the foods in one at a time to guage your reaction. Another route to consider is to slowly add calories to your diet as you might be overexercising related to the quantity of food you're ingesting.

Of course, you might have true hormonal issues related to your previous eating disorder that only time will cure.

Good luck, sorry I can't provide more than guesses.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason VT View Post
    Sweet nectar of Lucifer MalPaz! I would love to expand on the gut acid topic, but I'm afraid that I'll mangle it. Just check out Loren Cordain's website where he actually has a link specifically for gut acid levels (though I tend not to agree with his Saturated Fat stance). Also download Robb Wolf's "The Paleolithic Solution" podcasts.

My general thoughts regarding your situation is that you need to go hardcore Primal for a few weeks regarding your diet. I would eat lots of grass-fed red meats as I'm a big believer in CLA consumption along with completely cutting nuts, dairy, alcohol (sorry) and artificial sweetners. Pay strict attention to your macronutrient ratios to ensure you get enough protein and eat a wide variety of vegetables. Take some probiotics. You may want to add some salt and iodine to some of your meals. After a few weeks you should be able to add the foods in one at a time to guage your reaction. Another route to consider is to slowly add calories to your diet as you might be overexercising related to the quantity of food you're ingesting.

Of course, you might have true hormonal issues related to your previous eating disorder that only time will cure.

Good luck, sorry I can't provide more than guesses.
    i have been eatig paleo for over a year. cutting nuts? why do you say that? and dairy? i thought it was acid producing?
    i eat squerkraut almost everyday at some point and use either grassfed butter or tallow(CLA) for cooking. dont drink alcohol oruse artificial sweetners so that's easy.

oh and robb wolf, i lsten to his podcasts every week! he is more on with the super enzymes than the gut acid it seems.

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    I can't do ketosis. I can't fast either (when I 'fast' it's with lots of heavy cream). I don't feel right mentally, emotionally, or physically. But I DO feel much better attempting under 50g of carbs per day than I did for years of 300g+ carbs per day... I'm just seeking the perfect balance. It's around 100g carbs daily from dairy, nuts, tubers and veg (fruit makes me itchy).

I don't know how much of this is because I'm a girl, and how much has to do with the fact that I'm really skinny and have a very fast metabolism.

lisser is offline Junior Member
    I'm probably 70% primal, and just at this level I feel it has totally been life changing for me. I was what I would call a "naturally thin" person for a long time. Then I started to get some of that belly fat, I was still in a "healthy" BMI, but looked "chubby". Most recently I gained a bunch of weight after getting an IUD. After extensive research, I learned that birth control (all of it), but especially the Mirena IUD, Norplant, and Depo cause insulin resistance, low progesterone, and thyroid issues and can contribute to depression.

Coincidentally, when I started to gain extra belly fat was around when I started using hormonal BC. I have really been examining women since I started primal and learned about the BC/insulin resistance link, as if we arent exposed to it already through the SAD. Look at women! Not only is SAD killing us (them), but so is our BC.

I'm coming to the Primal/Paleo lifestyle from a WAPF/cutting sugar type lifestyle.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    it has been my ‘witnessed’ and experience that when serotonin levels are low the body will biologically crave carbs UNLESS you have a passage malfunction in the blood brain barrier. So, if you wife or husband ‘craves’ carbs and could do the atkins diet for a short period, as long as they knew there was a funnel cake at the end because they would be mentally a mess.
    Not necessarily. I was a MESS while adapting to ketosis. My brain just didn't 'get' it at first. I couldn't sleep and grew increasing anxious and really somewhat agoraphobic. It took one weekend of carb refeeds, then back to primal and a switch in my brain 'flipped'. After the carb refeed, I had one day of crushing depression, then it lifted and all was fine and good.

One quick way around the low seratonin levels if one is struggling with that, is simply to supplement with some tryptophan (not 5-htp, see Joan Matthews Larson) with an *ounce* of clear juice on an empty stomach - no sooner than 2h after a meal and no closer than 30 min prior to the next meal.

Interestingly, I used to have to do much to prop up and stabilize my mood. Previously, if I went five days without my aminos, zinc, b6, p5p (the coenzymated form of b6), mangesium and my mood would crash. And five was the magic number.

Now I'm taking a multi about every other day, neptune krill from ovulation until onset of period, zinc every few days and magnesium daily. I think that's all. Oh, and fish oil. I've got my aminos and other vites on hand if I need them but I haven't.

SerialSinner shared with us this great info from Evolutionary Psychiatry- Dr. Emily Dean's blog:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ain-on-Ketones

He has anxiety/cortisol/panic/worry problems and hes one of the high strung cortisol people who doesn’t gain weight from the constant rise(?)
    This, though, is not a 'given' for him. Cortisol, anxiety, panic and worry manageable and changeable with a variety of interventions ranging from meditation to cognitive behavioral therapy to orthomolecular treatment (vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and essential fatty acids that occur naturally in the body....using them a therapeutic doses orally and topically)

My dad has low serotonin but the ‘feel good’ aminos cross his blood brain barrier with carbs and raise serotonin as they should. My mom…well shes about as normal as you get. MEEE on the other hand, whacked out serotonin and nothing really helps. I have tried amino supplementation, carbs, potatos, everything. There isnt anythign that actually makes me feel better, I need to make myself feel better. I don’t crave anythign at all. I think that why when I was suffering anorexia everything was so easy, I never craved fat/protein/carbs, nothing.
    Sounds like a long standing zinc and vitamin d deficiency did a number on your signaling systems.

Time, time and more time. With optimal nutrient intake.....over time.

You're getting there. Just be sure your calorie surplus is such that you can gain fat too. You've put on a lot of muscle and it shows...and looks great! But for your hormonal systems to normalize you need an increase in body fat.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast