Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Groks vs Grokettes page 2

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Interesting mood thought/question... I have always had monthly moods, much improved by going primal. Just in the last month, they've gotten worse - and longer-lasting. Last week there was a lot more misery than I've had in a long time. What have I been eating a lot of? Conventional meat.

I'm biting the bullet and buying the good stuff. T-bones on sale are awesome, but if they leave me feeling like crap, what's the point?

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I wonder. If PB improves testosterone (androgen) levels for men, perhaps for some women it increases their androgens too -- which could arguably rev up our monthly Time of Joy so it's a little closer to what it was like back when we were teenagers with more androgens (estrogen especially).

As an increasingly-older chick, my periods were getting less dramatic. And that's hormonal (in part due to my weight). So I wonder if that will reverse somewhat once I'm done being pregnant, breastfeeding, etc.

It'll be interesting. And presumably still worthwhile!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    Is serotonin the key to this? The number of receptors we each have in our brain? We need it to function well and feel good . . . those of us with lots of receptors need more to feel optimal . . . and carbohydrates is how they get into the brain. (I think.)

Katt, does your husband have more of a "sweet tooth" than you do?

Isfahel is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, I've been Primal for about 2 weeks now, havn't had any issues, any cravings, etc. But then I don't have to deal with fluctuating hormones right now as I'm 9 weeks postpartum and and constant nursing keeps my cycle away for about a year, YAY! I havn't had any problem keeping carbs super low, average of about 70gms for the days I've kept track. My husband doesn't think he could live like this, not eating grains, and up til a few weeks ago he ate way healthier than me. I've always been the sugar/carbaholic.

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm, I was always the one with the crazy sweet-tooth, and yet I'm the one who can live on very low carbs. Maybe we just live to extremes!

Lodini is offline Senior Member
    If I may negate the theory - I have had zero ill-effects since starting Primal (aside from a 3 day carb flu). No change in periods, no change in mood (except for the better), only positive changes all around. Everything is fine!

And I've lost 22 pounds in 12 weeks... works for me!
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

Suse is offline Senior Member
    hmmm the potato thing is interesting... just had a flick through that radiant recovery website. I'm a little confused though, am I low in serotonin if i am having the vivid dreams?? ... I certainly get that a lot since eating primal, although I do still eat potatoes and sweet potatoes especially, just not in the same quantity I used to.

I do feel that I am having monthly mood issues that make my life a bit tricky, the desire for sugar and carbs is definitely on high it appears to me. I'm just trying to figure out now how I can cut that off at the pass.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    I just feel a lot better personally eating tons of veggies, some fruit as long as it is close to meals or protein/fat rich snacks, and a small amount of nuts for carbs, and almost no tubers. (Tubers I find fascinating though, and go back and forth on them in my mind.) I also always eat in the least 100 g carbs a day, but probably hang out closer to the 150 range.
    Forgot to mention, I'm nursing my 3 yo (a lot--he loves nursing), which could totally impact this all as well. I wonder what I'll feel like when I'm *not* nursing. I also wonder a/b trying to go hardcore lower carb for like, a month, if I'd end up transitioning well enough and love it? Very interesting stuff...

Katt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanas View Post
    Is serotonin the key to this? The number of receptors we each have in our brain? We need it to function well and feel good . . . those of us with lots of receptors need more to feel optimal . . . and carbohydrates is how they get into the brain. (I think.)

Katt, does your husband have more of a "sweet tooth" than you do?
    Probably, yes. He gets cravings for ice cream or chocolate while I don't, generally.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    Right on, FairyRae. I definitely find that my cravings change throughout my cycle. I try to listen to my body as much as possible, which usually means eating around 100 g of carbs daily, but upping carbs (as well as total calories) for a few days around my period.

As for how Grokettes vs. Groks respond to the PB, I have noticed that women have a harder time dropping weight than men in general, especially if they are already in a healthy weight range. Admittedly, my observations are based on a small non-random sample, but it also makes a degree of sense from an evolutionary standpoint, since women do require a certain amount of fat for fertility. On the other hand, I also seem to be more sensitive to carbohydrates than my husband, and have experienced a more significant benefit from cutting them than he has.
    Testosterone makes it easier for men to lose fat or gain muscle than women.

Also, I think the reason women naturally have a higher bf percentage than men is because they need those extra energy stores for pregnancies and breastfeeding.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast