Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Menopause? page 2

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Mm I'm not there yet (I'm 42) but it may be worth investigating tribulus. It's usually used by men over 30 to boost testosterone levels, but can also help in women.

From a menopause site:

"Tribulus terrestris The herb tribulus is one of the best natural alternatives to relieve the symptoms of menopause. Studies have shown that tribulus can completely or nearly completely alleviate all symptoms of menopause, with a stunning success rate of 98%. This herb can also improve bone turnover activity, thus helping menopausal women maintain optimal bone health. Lastly, tribulus is also the only herb shown to work for both natural and surgical menopause."

Although I'm not menopausal yet, I have just ordered some to see if it helps with me lower body fat.

That aside, before you sleep I'd recommend a couple of supplements, ZMA (Zinc/Magnesium - ZMA is a registered trademark so all supplement companies selling it will be selling an identical formula) and 5-HTP, a serotonin precursor. If you're in American then you can get Melatonin but it's classed as a medicine in the UK and can only be got on prescription.

Also, don't sleep on memory foam - it's stupidly hot!

maba is offline Senior Member

http://www.westonaprice.org/women/wise_choices.html

Scroll down to read the part on menopause.

Ecala is offline Junior Member

[quote]

I&#39;m already on the Bio-Identicals for about 6 months now. I&#39;ve been having a really hard time with hot flashes. Since starting the hormones I did have a 2 month window of time where I had none and felt great...and then they returned with a vengeance. I get them sometimes every 20 minutes. The biggest problem is I am no longer sleeping.</blockquote>

Luvbirds, your post screams low estrogen. Have you had your levels tested on the bios?

I can always tell (I&#39;m on BHRT) when I need an increase in estrogen is when I start sleeping poorly.

Hot flashes are also associated with low estrogen.

From the westonprice link maba posted
    [quote]

The truth is that every woman in the world experiences a decline in the level of female hormones and a rise in the level of male hormones at menopause. This is nature&#39;s way of equipping the female sex for her new role as forager, worker and sage. Like the male youth of eighteen, she experiences hotbloodedness, signalized by hot flashes, as she prepares for a lustier life than the cloistered one she led as a mother of small children.
    </blockquote>

LOL

I love weston price but I have to wholeheartedly disagree with the above excerpt. LOL

HARDLY. That so does not happen.

For one- testosterone does not always rise in menopause. Au contraire. Every woman DOES NOT experience a rise in testosterone. I have very very low levels- I have to supplement.

And two, we need estrogen for testosterone to work. The receptors in the brain aren&#39;t turned on for testosterone unless estrogen is present. Lustier life and like the male youth of eighteen (haha haha, I wish!)... hotbloodedness (good grief)-- who in the frick writes this stuff. Must have been a man.

Man! that article really pisses me off. LOL

I guess it was a woman who wrote it

Natalie Angier, author of Women: An Intimate Biography

Luvbirds is offline Junior Member

The truth is that every woman in the world experiences a decline in the level of female hormones and a rise in the level of male hormones at menopause. This is nature&#39;s way of equipping the female sex for her new role as forager, worker and sage. Like the male youth of eighteen, she experiences hotbloodedness, signalized by hot flashes, as she prepares for a lustier life than the cloistered one she led as a mother of small children.

He he he....enough testosterone in my life right now...4 sons 22, 20, 18 and 15. A hubby and an intact male Doberman....I&#39;m surrounded by it! there is so much that it oozes out of the house! I have a frat sign hanging over my front door!

My hormones were tested when I started the BHRT. I was completely bottomed out below what I should have been, except testosterone. I&#39;m going to call the doctor and see if he can give me just some more estrogen, my BHRT has E/P/T in it, don&#39;t want to end up growing hair all over the place by increasing that dosage too much! I have 6 months of the script filled, and my insurance didn&#39;t cover it, if I take the synthetic crap it does..how do you like that?! I may end up getting a test to see where the Estrogen is now. My compounding phamisist said that the estrogen will make me gain weight.....which I have and can&#39;t get rid of...only 10# but if I ate as clean and exercised like I do now...in my younger years, I&#39;d weigh 20# less. This just plain sucks. The only thing I keep reminding myself is of the friends I&#39;ve lost to cancer, they would love to experience hot flashes and be alive. Hot Flashes are not life threatening, just annoying. This too shall pass.

You guys are the greatest!

*Live*Love*Laugh*

Nah. As long as it&#39;s bioidentical and your other hormones are balanced, you won&#39;t gain weight. You only gain weight when you are estrogen deficient (and it sounds like you are) or if you have too much estrogen. You can learn to read the "cues" your body gives you. Too little and you have hot flashes and crappy sleep; too much and you get bitchy and bloated Progesterone, you just use a little bit on the right days.

You really should get them all separately-- when you can, that is. That way you can adjust them as needed.

I cycle mine (to mimic a menstrual cycle)-- estrogen 1-21 (although I&#39;m going to do this all month long now as the week I&#39;m off of it, I am very unhappy and sleep like crap), then progesterone 16-28 and testosterone every day.

[quote]

My compounding phamisist said that the estrogen will make me gain weight.....which I have and can&#39;t get rid of...only 10# </blockquote>

Think of it this way Luvbirds (love that profile name btw), when you are estrogen deficient, your body looks for ways to get some. And since estrogen is not just made in the ovaries, it&#39;s also made in fat cells, your body compensates by making fat so that it can derive the estrogen it needs.

Pretty clever that Mother Nature

Crystal W. Guest

Luvbirds-

I agree, your symptoms suggest low estrogen. What are you taking?

For many women in perimenopause, progesterone drops 8-10 yesrs before estrogen and ovaries start declining. As a result, estrogen tries to lower to balance with progesterone. Blood tests may show low estrogen and low progesterone. Taking progesterone alone will help estrogen. So, it&#39;s important to just work on progesterone unless you know that ovaries have stopped working.

I&#39;d say more times than not, women have lower testosterone during menopause. Estrogen and progesterone need to be balanced in order to have enough testosterone. Progesterone converts to testosterone and when progesterone and estrogen are not balanced, of course testosterone will be low/high. Always fix estrogen/pro. before starting testosterone to see if it fixes it on it&#39;s own.

Estrogen will make you gain weight if it is too high or too high in comparison to progesterone. It is stored in the fat cells, so if you&#39;re low, your cells will store it in fat. Estrogen is highest in teens and in the 20&#39;s, not a lot of obesity and cancer there. All estrogen can cause cancer cells to grow, progesterone is anti-cancer.

Crystal, since we&#39;re on the subject. What do you think about testosterone serum testing? is it accurate? you know how progesterone serum testing isn&#39;t-- is it the same for testosterone?

Also with progesterone, how can you tell if the amount used is enough? I just never want to over-do it with progesterone because it can get trapped in the fat cells and takes months to clear the body. How can I tell when I&#39;m on the right amount? Saliva testing doesn&#39;t seem to be all that accurate either.

Finally, what do you think about progesterone converting to cortisol?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast