Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Insulin - adds fat or adds muscle? page 2

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    what if the insulin is not released in response to carbs?

BareFootForward is offline Junior Member
    I can only reply as a diabetic. But if I inject myself with insulin, and I don't either have a high blood sugar and/or eat carbs to cover the insulin, the insulin will shuttle a proportionate amount of sugar out of my blood into fat cells, and leave me without enough sugar in my blood to feed my brain. I will have a hypoglycemic episode. Depending on the severity, I may just need to eat a little sugar. I may need assistance from my husband, or the EMTs. I may have to go to the hospital for a glucose drip if its bad enough. I can go into a coma, possibly forever (my mom was in one for 3 days, and delusional for 4 more after she woke up because of low blood sugar). And if its really horrible, and I get no help, I can die.
    29 years old, type 1 diabetic with insulin resistance -- HORRIBLE a1c, and borderline cholesterol problems. Carb addict.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    What I drew from that was that insulin causes both muscles to anabolism and fat to be stored. So, you can overload the insulin system by injecting yourself with more but to avoid the corresponding fat storage you'll need other chemicals to prevent it. I suppose that that does make sense on some level. After carbs protein comes second in causing insulin to increase.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    @daemonized

Bingo! That is why roids are done in "stacks" and cycles. Also why insulin is only used in the bulking phase.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    What I drew from that was that insulin causes both muscles to anabolism and fat to be stored. So, you can overload the insulin system by injecting yourself with more but to avoid the corresponding fat storage you'll need other chemicals to prevent it. I suppose that that does make sense on some level. After carbs protein comes second in causing insulin to increase.
    so where does fat play into this?

chima_p is offline Senior Member

rxc
    rxc is offline Junior Member

This book is explains well

I was at Borders and found "Body By Science" by Doug McGuff and John Little. It was helpful in explaining how insulin can send nutrients to fat storage or muscle storage. I'm going to have to either buy or borrow "Body By Science" to read the rest of the book, and to re-read that section on insulin. Also, I read a section from "The Anabolic Solution" by Mauro DiPasquale that does a good job of explaining.

I'm not saying that I understand all of it, but I'm starting to wrap my head around using my body's insulin production to my advantage.

--rxc

Donk is offline Banned
    My cousin reversed his type 2 diabeties reading the book 'reversing diabeties' by Dr Barnard. Apparently is a high carb, low fat vegan diet so I dont want any part of that, but I guess if I had diabeties I would probably consider giving up my steak addiction!

Be careful Barefoot as diabetes is a serious condition and I think its best left to the people like Dr Barnard to answer these sort of questions. Last thing we want is a dead forum member!

Donk is offline Banned
    This insulin/diabetes link might be of use as its written by a qualified Doctor.
    http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_diabetes.html

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    body builders use insulin increasing foods (maltodextrin for instance as well as the ones we know) to incite an insulin spike to assist in muscle repair...those little tears from a good workout.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast