Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Body giving out before heart does... page

goin2befit is offline Member

Body giving out before heart does...

Primal Fuel
    I'm 332 pound female, 5'8" tall, and 30 years old, non-smoker, non-drinker... I have decided to take 100% control of my life and my health. With that being said...I have a recumbent bicycle at home and live where walking is always an option... So, I downloaded the PB exercise free e-book. Mark talks about getting 2-5 hours a week in of cardio activity with the max heart rate of 55-75%, so for me I figure that is somewhere between 107-147 bpm heart rate, right?

Here is my dilemma: I have a very STRONG HEART!!!! I first tried level 4 and tried staying around 19-20 mph, but my legs kept going numb and getting so tired. Plus my heart rate was bearly staying at 107 bpm, so I increased the intensity to level 6 and stayed around 18-19 mph, there my heart at least hit around 112-118 bpm, but I was not able to sustain a long amount of time. I finally kept going between the 2 (level 4 and level 6) to complete 30 minutes.

How do I get my body to catch up with my strong heart? Is it better to stay at a lower level and go faster or increase to a higher level and go slower???

Thanks,
    Amanda

polyclef is offline Member
    Have you tried an interval routine on the bike? Alternating the intensity so that your average heart rate is in the 55% - 75% range. IMHO you do not need to keep that rate sustained for the whole period. You have taken the first, and most crucial, step and that is to make a change. Try doing intervals of higher intensity and see how that works out. The idea is to put some stress on your body but not get into the extreme longer duration cardio routines.
    So remember, Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!

Blog - Size of the Fight...

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Honest question: At your weight, is exercise even a good idea at your weight/fitness level? At those numbers your BMI (yes I know this isn't the best indicator, but at your fitness level and weight level it works) is in the 50s!

Just by fixing your diet you could start shedding pounds like crazy. Maybe, at most, do some walking around the block and enjoy some fresh air. I honestly don't know if trying to do what you are is a good idea right now.

Also, leg numbness is some serious shit. I hope by numbness you mean they are just tired, because an actual numb feeling means you have a serious issue.

edit: just for info, I am an "extreme" kind of guy who kills himself every day with crossfit and tries to do the same to everyone he knows. For me to say to exercise less is like world shaking stuff here.

Also someone will come along and probably try to destroy everything I just said, but it's honestly what I believe.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Are you talking about your legs getting numb while biking or walking, or both?

Polycliff~ Thanks that is what I ended up doing today, so I will try just to continue that until my body strength catches up and I'm able to go longer.

Thanks so much for you concern Rivvin Honestly, that is just it. I have been overweight my ENTIRE life. Carried and delivered to beautiful daughters, one at 370 pounds and one around 400 pounds. My highest weight has been 417 pounds. With both pregnancies I was 100% healthy, only problem was pelvic separation. Otherwise, no high blood pressure, no diabetes, nothing... That is why I said I have a STRONG A** HEART!!!! I live in NYC and walk 1/2 mile to the train station, up and down the subway stairs, walk my daughter to school which is almost a 1/3 mile there and 1/3 mile back. Also walk to the laundry mat.... In high school, which I know was some years ago, I was in marching band and marched in 100 degree weather in a wool uniform at 250+ pounds!!! So, hopefully I can win you over and get your approval to exercise As for my leg, it is just my left and it is that numb, tingling like almost going to sleep but not really. Hope that makes sense... So, on that note, what do you recommend, increasing intensity to get the heart rate up or going faster to get the heart rate up???

gator70 is offline Member
    The seat of your bicycle is probably cutting off your blood supply to your legs and results in the numbness. If I read your post right walking is an option, so maybe you could start with that and work the diet. Riding a bike for long periods of time gets some getting used to just like anything else. If your muscles don't have the stamina, you will have to keep working on it. Keep your levels lower and work your way up, patience is a virtue! I absolutely wish you the best in working the program!

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    Are you talking about your legs getting numb while biking or walking, or both?
    Riding bike and yes, walking if for long distance. We live near a water front and if I walk say 2 miles I get that numb/tingling feeling going on.

gator70 is offline Member
    Oh yeah, in the fat loss range, you should be able to reasonably hold a conversation. If you can't talk, you are far above the heart rate level you should be. I think understanding this was always a hard concept for me and I always wanted to go to my limits. Putting the brakes on really makes a difference!

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    I'm obviously no expert, but I agree that the numbness, especially if it's unilateral like yours seems to be, can be a signal of a serious issue, perhaps thrombosis. I see that you've been a member here since March -- have you been making progress with the PB?

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It could be sciatica. Usually that causes pain, but sometimes it can just cause numbness.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast