Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Body giving out before heart does... page 2

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The last thing we would recommend around here is some kind of overzealous fitness routine like the biggest loser for someone that has a lot of weight to lose. It's exercise (lift heavy things) that will build your muscles and eating healthy that will bring your weight to where you want it to be.

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    I suggest you do things that are enjoyable for you, and concentrate on getting mild to moderate exertion - and forget about heart rates and such for now. Let your body tell you when it's working at a comfortable level, and don't push to the point of numbness or extreme muscle fatigue. If you build up a habit of regular walks or biking, your legs with start to catch up to your heart. Look into some bodyweight exercises for strengthening them, but mostly what you need is to build up muscle endurance.

Sounds like you're out there kicking ass and as long as you listen to body, you can do whatever you like!
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I would love to recommend some exercise tips to you but the numbness scares me to death. I would hesitate for anyone here to provide exercise advice to you without knowing exactly what is causing the numb feeling. If it was just on the bike, we could blame it on the seat pinching blood flow off. However, it is also happening during walking which is definitely not normal even for someone who is overweight.

I am really impressed that you want to take control back of your life in these regards and I commend you for it, but I ask for your sake that you go find out what that numbness is.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Intervals too often may burn out your legs. Alternate that with light continuous work. Forget your heart rate and just train your muscles to go at least 15 minutes straight at any level. Then you can increase the pace then the distance ...

Alternating walking and biking would be good too. Rests some muscles while using the others to get the heart whatever work it can get.

Hopefully you already know that weight loss is nearly all diet and the exercise is mostly for other aspects of health. Especially the amounts of exercise us out of shape people can do.

polyclef is offline Member
    Maybe there was some confusion about my use of the term "interval". What I meant was rather than try to sustain that higher heart rate for a 20-30 min workout try a slightly higher intensity for a min or so then back to a more casual pace.

The important thing is that you are being more active than you were. Take it slowly, try not to think about results. Find a way to enjoy the activity to where it doesn't feel like a WORKout.
    So remember, Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!

Blog - Size of the Fight...

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    I kinda figured we weren't talking tabata's for this lady
    That's why I suggested alternating rather than once/week.
    I'd still like to see some attempt to get the muscles working continuously aerobically at any level they can do it as soon as possible.
    If there isn't one then 'ez intervals' become the only choice.

goin2befit is offline Member
    Thank you so much everyone for your input. I know I was asked if I have been doing PB since March, unfortunatly I didn't. I had other issues with food that I have been dealing with and feel ready to tackle my overall health now. As for exercise, I really do enjoy it and I enjoy riding the bike. I would love to get smaller and stronger to take it to biking outside. That is a dream of mine. Also, I would love to jog or run once the weight is down. Not for the exercise part, but for the fact I have NEVER been able to jog on the beach or through the mountains, etc. So these are things I imagine doing just for pure FUN!!!

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Hi goin2befit and congratulations on taking control of your life and fitness! One of the biggest problems I have had was patience. I used to run about 6-7 miles a day, 5 days a week and loved it! Since I put back on my weight, it has been hard for me to pace myself to doing things slower like walking. I started at about 270 a few months ago and down under 240 now and most of that has come off in the last couple of months. Yesterday I jogged for the first time in years!

In addition to what has been said about the numbness in the legs (that concerns me also), be patient and the weight will come off. Activity as tolerated and recognize the differences between muscle pain and other pain/numbness. As much as I dislike modern medicine, think about going to the doctor and get a few test run. Like most doctors, if they find anything wrong they are going to recommend either medicine or surgery and it is your choice if you take their recommendation or not but at least you will have an idea as to what the problem is and find a more holistic way of dealing with it if you opt out of the CW medical recommendations.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    My recommendation is get thee to a doctor and off teh interwebz! It may be something as simple as sciatica, a pinched nerve, or it could be something really scary (probably not, I hope) like thrombosis. (Really, probably not). But we're neither trainers nor health care professionals, and diagnosing over the net is never a good idea.

I'd say keep walking, and walk over to your doc, get cleared, do some easy walking and don't worry about your heart rate for now. 80% of this is eating right, so get that under control and walk, walk, walk. But do get cleared by your physician.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I second Abu Reena. Simple walking will do a world of good until you get your weight down. Right now, your focus should be on diet. Get your diet in check, start losing weight, and everything else will be much easier. As you decrease weight, increase your walking distance and speed. Then, add in some weight training at some point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast