Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini-rant: mistreatment of cast iron! page

rozska is offline Senior Member

Mini-rant: mistreatment of cast iron!

Shop Now
    I decided to try cooking with cast iron. Because I'm cheap, I went to ebay. The pan I bought, according to the seller, had been her grandmother's, and had sat in a box at her mother's house for years.

The pan was beautiful, no rust, looked like it was properly seasoned, etc.

As far as I can tell, the seller decided the pan was "dirty" and washed it before she sent it to me. Then she put it in a plastic bag before it was fully dry.

You can guess the condition of the pan when I received it -- full of rust, that beautiful shine removed.

I'm nursing it back to health. About 1/3 of the pan is still beautiful, smoother than teflon. Seasoned it once last night, did it again this morning, cooked some bacon in it for lunch, and will season it again later this afternoon. I think it'll be worth it.

I know the seller had no idea of the value of what she was selling, hence the cheap price and the bad treatment of this beauty. But still. Grrrr.
    If I don't live my dream, who will?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Ouch. Poor pan. You'll be able to bring her back, but how somebody could abuse such a beauty... it's amazing what harm a lack of knowledge can do.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    My dear wife just cooked a vinegar dish in my dutch oven two weeks ago - this is the second time she's done it. It just completely oxidizes it.
    One more time and you may read about it in the papers... Grrrr!

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Awww, the poor thing!! (the pan I mean.) At least you understand it better than the granddaughter did. I'm pretty sure Grandma would approve of the pan's new home.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    I can't abide by cookware that needs to be treated more carefully than a faberge egg. Heavy, brittle, fussy - no thanks. I threw all my carbon steel knives our years ago, too.

Sorry that yours was mistreated, though :-)

Jessica is offline Junior Member
    Are they really that brittle? I have two cast iron pans, one with grill ridges, another flat. I wipe them with paper towel usually, and I scrub them with steel wool if necessary for stuck-on stuff (they're still pretty new and in seasoning process), rinse them, and I dry them by putting them back on the stove and turning the burner on for a couple minutes until all wetness evaporates.

The pan is recovering nicely. About 2/3rds of it is now *amazing* -- smooth and completely non-stick. I figure cooking bacon in it tomorrow morning should get the rest of the gunk off it.

I feel as though I've been given an heirloom to restore. I love antiques. A lot of my pieces of furniture are antiques. This pan was well loved, once. I'm glad I've welcomed it into my home.

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
    Are they really that brittle?
    Cast iron contains a small portion of carbon, so yes. Take a cast iron skillet and a stainless steel or aluminum one and drop them on cement from equal heights. The first will likely shatter or break, the second two will dent or bounce.

Are they brittle? Yes, I think they are. But as fragile as glass? No.

The pan is about 95% there at this point. I figure one more bacon fry and it should be there. It's different, and I'm still figuring out how to use it, but so far, I like it.

shemdogg is offline Senior Member
    I need to get one of these things

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast