Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furious at my "doctor"? A little. page

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member

Furious at my "doctor"? A little.

Shop Now
    To give some backstory. I had a VAP test done after about 6 months of being primal. My total was pretty high at nearly 400 with my LDL being almost 300 and a 49 HDL and 63 trigs. I was in the middle of the pattern A range. This was in April so I figure maybe I'll see if anything has changed after few more months and being that my weight has now stabilized after losing 40 lbs during the first 6 months. I asked my doctor about doing another VAP as well as a CRP and vit D test because I've been supplementing 5k iu per day. This is what I got back:

By the way, I only find VAP testing useful in people with borderline cholesterol panels. It helps decide if medication treatment is needed. Your cholesterol is nowhere even close to borderline. It's high, high, high. A typical cholesterol panel is all you need.

The CRP is also an interesting test to help guide treatment in borderline cases. It won't be helpful in your case as you are already in the high risk group.
    Although an elevated CRP level is known to be associated with an increased risk of heart disease, no clear consensus exists regarding when and on whom to use hs-CRP testing. In January 2003, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the American Heart Association (AHA) published a joint scientific statement recommending when this test might be useful.
    The CDC/AHA recommendation states that the evidence supports the use of hs-CRP as an independent predictor of cardiac risk when evaluating individuals of intermediate or moderate risk for cardiovascular disease. However, the statement does not recommend use of hs-CRP testing for widespread screening of adults to determine risk or to monitor treatment.

I don't recommend you measure vitamin levels.

Any recommendations on what to respond with, if at all? I'd only seen him that first time and at the time he seemed to be trying to impress me by simply knowing what VAP stood for after I asked. I'd think a VAP would be even more pertinent if he's worried about my high cholesterol since it'll tell him what my pattern A/B is. He said last time that my pattern A was good but having too much cholesterol floating around in there can't be good. Almost his exact words. And he doesn't recommend testing vitamin levels? Wtf.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    Get a new doctor?

I know, and I am. I was actually just hoping to get the tests to check my levels, but I wanted to vent a little as well.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Completely undertand the need to vent! Here's what I would do (take it or leave it! ). I'd find a new doctor. then I'd email the old doctor and say,

Dear Dr. __________________,

I appreciate you explaining your thoughts about the testing I had requested. I have decided to go with another doctor that was a little more up to date on the current research regarding how vitamin and mineral levels (specifically Vitamin D and magnesium) have a direct effect on metabolic functioning (specifically thyroid, cholesterol and inflammation).

Thank you for your time,

Sign it.

I think it's very nice for a letter firing your doc, don't you?
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Don't even bother with a letter. He'll just dismiss it as "doctor shopping."

He wouldn't have brought up the defensive justification for rejecting the testing request if he wasn't already raising his eyebrows, anyway.

Just get a different doctor. (Yes, go doctor shopping! In a manner of speaking.)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Wow. I hope my results come back good. I am waiting anxiously to see what my labs show that they took on Monday.

Asturian is offline Senior Member
    Find a new doc then respond to the old doc that you want your medical records transferred to your new doc.
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks for the replies. I'm still trying to hold myself back from sending a scathing letter. Minxxa, the one you suggested is pretty good. The first time I went in I spent my entire time there convincing him about the VAP test as opposed to the regular one. He finally consented and then when it was high he came up with the "too much in floating around in there can't be good" comment. I decided then to drop him so in my email I asked if he could write the order so I could just come in for the bloodwork without seeing someone. I thought he might like the idea of the cRP test to determine if there was an actual issue with inflammation, but I guess not. I do kind of want to email to ask about the vitamin levels at least as he seemed to just flat reject the idea of ever needing to test. From the impression I got of him it could even be that he has no idea what the results should be so he wants to avoid the embarrassment.

Just as a side question; does anyone know if inflamed gums can increase cholesterol/cRP readings? When I last went to the dentist they said my gums seemed to be infected in some parts because they bled when they flossed and I usually don't floss. Could this lead to a high cholesterol or is it totally unrelated?

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    If you don't floss regularly, your gums will bleed when you do.

I know. My dentist just mentioned that it looks like they're inflammed and they were bleeding when doing so so I was wondering if this was indeed indicative of inflammation and if it could skew cRP or cholesterol?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast