Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transitioning to eating meat? page

theholla is offline Senior Member

Transitioning to eating meat?

Primal Fuel
    I have been gradually transitioning to a more primal lifestyle over the last few years, as I've been trying to work out the diet where my body is the happiest. I wound up cutting carbs, upping fats, increasing animal products, and cutting out processed foods. I discovered paleo nutrition a few months ago, and after reading up on it, started phasing out grains and legumes as well.

There's just one problem - I still can't make myself eat red meat. I was raised vegetarian (literally since I was born), and never developed a taste for meat. In fact, it kind of grosses me out. Even worse, it has made me violently ill the few times I've tried it, even in small quantities. A couple years ago, however, I started eating fish with no problem.

Currently, I eat a ton of wild fish and seafood, pastured eggs, and grass-fed butter, so I'm getting many of the benefits of going primal - but probably not all of them. I buy lovely cuts of grass-fed goat, beef, and bison for my husband, watch him cook them, enjoy the smell, but still can't take the plunge. A couple days ago I tasted what I was told was an incredibly delicious grilled steak, and it just didn't have any appeal.

So, I was wondering if anyone had advice for how I can start to phase beef and/or bison into my diet. I'm pretty sure my main hurdles are digestion and the "yuck" factor. Help!

(Alternately, if it is ok for me to continue on my pesca-primal diet, let me know, so I can stop making myself crazy trying to eat steaks)

john_e_turner_ii is online now Senior Member
    You will probably have to start one bite at a time. Next time you make some for your family, just have one bite with your meal. Increase from there each time you have meat. Just a few bites and then so on, and maybe you will like it. You don't have to eat red meat to be primal. Eggs, fish, chicken, pork, goat, lamb, etc., can all be enjoyed. Just find one that works for you.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    try adding the meat to something you already like. cook up some steak strips and throw them on a salad or in an omelet. you could also try making a meat dish, like meatballs or a meatloaf or even burgers (which can all have other flavors) and pair them with something you enjoy. i know a few people who aren't wild about red meat by itself, but do like it with something else. baby steps.

definitely try something. there is a whole new world of food out there worth experiencing

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    The doctor over at the WAPF suggests, among other things:

... if you have not eaten meat in a long time, you should reintroduce meat in small amounts chopped up in a gelatin-rich soup broth.
    Apparently, the gelatine helps with digestion of the protein. You'll probably have less of a psychological reaction if it doesn't look like a piece of meat, too.

http://www.westonaprice.org/ask-the-...nal-foods.html

I'd suggest fish is a good food and people seem to have done very well on it, but if you can get to eat some meat as well it'd be good for variety if nothing else.

Asturian is offline Senior Member
    Take your time. Eating massive amounts of meat is not a requirement. You just need to eat enough protein to maintain good health. A lot of the folks here (including myself) probably eat more meat than they actually need. Fish and eggs are excellent protein sources, so just take your time with the others protein sources until you develop a taste or find something you like.
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Primal Babe is offline Senior Member
    I was eating very little meat before too, but have recently started with Primal... I eat small portions and take a vegan digestive enzyme before eating.. it helps a LOT.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm definitely trying to start small (in quantity), but don't really want to "hide" the meat. The WAPF advice was interesting, especially the part about eating something fermented and enzyme rich with the meat - that might give me the kick in the butt I need to start making some kimchi (mmmm....kimchi)

It is also nice to hear that you don't necessarily need red meat to be primal, but poultry actually grosses me out even more! I think my ideal situation might be eating beef/bison twice a week or so just to get a break from all the eggs and fish.

@Primal Babe - what type of digestive enzyme are you taking? Do you think you will take it indefinitely, or taper off as you acclimate to meat again?

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Speaking as something of a meat-hater, I think I've graduated to meat-disliker. I really WANT to like it, and I know I need it, and therefore I want it, but that's not the same as appetite!

Texture is a big part of it. As noted above, chopped or blendered into gelatine-rich soup broth (bone broth) works well for me. And you might want to start with stuff that's less dauntingly chewy, like (nitrate-free) bologna or hot dogs or something.

Since you like fish, what about fishes that are tougher when cooked? For example, swordfish -- might be another good way to transition.

Hope this helps! (P.S.: So are you like me and have trouble with the whole knife/fork simul-usage thing, too? I've used it to cut softer foods, but cutting meat with it is definitely a learned skill!)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

I have a really tough time with the knife/fork thing too! My mom used to say that she regretted never teaching me table manners, because I eat like a neanderthal. Hints of things to come?

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Exactly, other people don't get that it isn't really about manners, it's a skill thing! Although if you never had to use the skill, you probably don't know the manners of it either... you're more focused on getting the job done! I really have to fight to not swap hands constantly with knife/fork, for example.

Eating like a neanderthal -- heh!!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast